Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#237658 - 09/23/12 04:52 PM Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?

This image compares the sea ice extent minimum on Sept. 16 (in white)
to the average minimum during the past 30 years (yellow line).

Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low

Quote:
Now it’s official: as of September 16, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the sea ice covering the Arctic Ocean reached a record low minimum extent....
Sea ice experts said the ice cover may have become so thin and brittle that it doesn’t need unusually sunny and warm weather in order to melt to a record low anymore, even a typical Arctic summer can do the job. Most worrisome of all is the fact that while scientists have long predicted a gradual disappearance of summer sea ice over this century it seems to be happening faster than anyone expected. “We are now in uncharted territory”....
emphasis added

It was stated on Radio Canada that the Arctic may be completely ice-free in summer by the middle of this decade.

#237660 - 09/23/12 05:00 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: numan]
Sandune Offline

Discovery and the Science Channels are covering this problem constantly. If the ice masses melt, maybe the oceans will rise up and bring me ocean front property again. In my area of the desert the temperature today will be 105 degrees and this is September. I worry about the forest creatures. I keep water here for my birds and I have some beauties in my olive tree.

#237793 - 09/25/12 11:09 AM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

Arctic "death spiral" leaves climate scientists shocked and worried

Quote:
Three quarters of the summer ice volume really seems to have vanished.
A recent CBC report on these CryoSat-2 results was blunt: "Arctic ice could vanish in 10 years, scientists warn … Arctic sea ice is melting at a pace so much faster than once thought that the latest projections say it might disappear by as soon as 2022."
Professor Wadhams, whose predictions of rapid ice loss have so far been among the most accurate, told the Guardian he thinks summer Arctic sea ice could vanish within four years.
Once again we are being caught off guard, as the actual pace of climate change is unfolding far more rapidly than the conservative IPCC estimates used by policy makers, businesses and citizens worldwide.

#237797 - 09/25/12 12:41 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: numan]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Aww numan,
You believe all that liberal, pinko, commie crap...
We all know there is no Global Warming. The GOP tells us so. wink

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#237809 - 09/25/12 01:42 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: Ezekiel]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Yeah, and the Earth is flat and the center of the Universe.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#237845 - 09/25/12 08:10 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: Sandune]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
If the ice masses melt, maybe the oceans will rise up and bring me ocean front property again.

Even if all the arctic sea ice melts, it won't raise sea level at all: That ice is already floating in the ocean, so it is already contributing to our current sea level.

But if all the Greenland ice shelf melts, that will have some measurable effect. And of course, the big one is all the Antarctic ice. Most of that is up on dry land.

#237846 - 09/25/12 08:20 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Quote:
If the ice masses melt, maybe the oceans will rise up and bring me ocean front property again.

Even if all the arctic sea ice melts, it won't raise sea level at all: That ice is already floating in the ocean, so it is already contributing to our current sea level.

But if all the Greenland ice shelf melts, that will have some measurable effect. And of course, the big one is all the Antarctic ice. Most of that is up on dry land.

Yes, I forgot about the Archimedes principle. And your other projections? shocked

#237867 - 09/25/12 11:07 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: Scoutgal]
Lillibet Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
I'm not worried that much about CO2 and ocean levels, but am very worried about the pollution we pump into the atmosphere, including the various things they are spraying to make cloud cover, day in and day out. Things that look like jet trails stay up in the air, often for hours at a time, then disperse and the sky goes all overcast. I've heard at AAAS meetings that geoengineers are doing this to 'cool' the planet, but if you ask me, it's not working based on the thermal records of the past decade.

I don't know who or what is responsible for the jet trails that stay hours past the 20 minute maximum that real jet contrails last. All I know is that if they are doing this as an experiment, they ought to stop before the Arctic not only melts, but catches fire.

Hey, for a while there were rivers in Ohio that burned several times. Not the water itself, but the gunk in the water.

Edited by Lillibet (09/25/12 11:39 PM)
Edit Reason: senior moment of the day

#238100 - 09/27/12 07:34 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: numan]
numan Offline
veteran

'
Multiple feedback loops amplify global warming

1. Albedo flip.
Sea ice reflects sun's rays back into space keeping the planet cooler. As sea ice disappears the uncovered ocean absorbs this energy, making the planet hotter....

2. Permamelt.
As the Arctic rapidly heats up, the "permanently" frozen soils (permafrost) also have started to melt at any increasingly rapid pace. As permafrost thaws, it releases methane and CO2 -- both potent greenhouse gases....

3. Methane hydrates melting.
Tremendous amounts of methane are frozen on the bottom of the Arctic Ocean. As water temperatures increase, the threat of large emissions of methane bubbling out of the sea grows. Climate scientist James Hansen of NASA says the melting of methane hydrates in the earth's past has triggered rapid global warming leading to major extinction events.

4. Dying forests.
Rapid warming is causing the entire western boreal forest to start dying faster than it is growing back according to recent research....These dying pine forests are releasing huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere....

5. More fossil fuels to burn.
The Arctic Ocean has huge quantities of oil and methane that humans have not yet been able to turn into CO2. The sea ice has kept us from extracting and burning them. Now, as the sea ice vanishes, a black gold rush is kicking in....Scrabbling for more carbon to burn in an over-heating Arctic reminds me of people smoking cigarettes through their tracheotomy hole....

6. Vanishing spring snow cover.
One of the most dramatic but least discussed climate changes on our planet has been the rapid decline in our spring snow cover. Warmer temperatures are melting snow earlier each year. In fact, the area of missing snow cover is much greater than the area of missing sea ice. The snow cover is retreating northward at a rate of 60 km per year, ratcheting up global temperatures.

More extreme weather

Arctic ecosystems unravelling

#238103 - 09/27/12 07:54 PM Re: Arctic Sea Ice Shatters Record Low [Re: numan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

It seems that there were large qualtities of methane released by a lake in Africa that killed several people and animals. This article explains what happens when the methane bubbles up to the surface.

Quote:

News
World news
Democratic Republic of the Congo

Poisonous gas from African lake poses threat to millions

Trapped methane and carbon dioxide could be set loose by a quake or landslide, say scientists

Share 64
Email

Robin McKie, science editor
The Observer, Saturday 25 July 2009

Youngsters dive into the waters of Lake Kivu at Kisegi
Youngsters dive into the waters of Lake Kivu at Kisegi. Photograph: Kim Lundbrook/Corbis

More than two million people living on the banks of Lake Kivu in central Africa are at risk of being asphyxiated by gases building up beneath its surface, scientists have warned.

It is estimated that the lake, which straddles the borders of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda, now contains 300 cubic kilometres of carbon dioxide and 60 cubic kilometres of methane that have bubbled into the Kivu from volcanic vents. The gases are trapped in layers 80 metres below the lake's surface by the intense water pressures there. However, researchers have warned that geological or volcanic events could disturb these waters and release the gases.

The impact would be devastating, as was demonstrated on 21 August 1986 at Lake Nyos in Cameroon, in West Africa. Its waters were saturated with carbon dioxide and a major disturbance - most probably a landslide - caused a huge cloud of carbon dioxide to bubble up from its depths and to pour down the valleys that lead from the crater lake.

Carbon dioxide is denser than air, so that the 50mph cloud hugged the ground and smothered everything in its path. Some 1,700 people were suffocated.

ARTICLE

Could a catastrophe happen like this with the ice caps melting away?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2