by jgw
10/09/18 09:26 PM
Trump’s ‘New’ Can-Mex Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama
by jgw
10/09/18 05:35 PM
The End of the Independent Judiciary
by pdx rick
10/07/18 02:55 PM
Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls 'a Bazillion' People from Hospital Phone,
by Greger
10/07/18 01:09 AM
That Bombshell Report on Trump's Taxes May Spark an Investigation by New York
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/05/18 05:03 AM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
10/04/18 07:28 PM
George Will: Abolish the death penalty
by Greger
10/03/18 12:28 AM
if the Dems take over
by Greger
10/01/18 09:55 PM
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by jgw
09/28/18 06:24 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by NW Ponderer
09/28/18 11:24 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16401 Topics
282392 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#243831 - 11/19/12 07:51 PM Rubio says 'stupid things'
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) couldn't give an answer to GQ Magazine's question as to how old he thought the earth was, but instead offered, "it's one of those great mysteries."

Rubio goes on to say:

Quote:
"I'm not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that's a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I'm not a scientist. I don't think I'm qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No Senator, actually, the age of the earth is not a 'mystery.'

Rubio further says:

Quote:
“I’m not a scientist. I don’t believe I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created..."

No one "believes" in science any more than people "believe" in the method for changing a flat tire. Science is a methodology or sequence just as there is a methodology or sequence to changing a flat tire, successfully. Conversely, religion can never be a "theory" because to graduate from the level of hypothesis requires replicable and peer-reviewable evidence or methodology or sequence. People don't "believe in" science but instead practice the methodology or sequence of performing the scientific method.

“We also don’t need to be saying stupid things,” said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal of Mitt Romney's post-election diatribe of Americans voting for "gifts."

Apparently Rubio didn't get Jindal's memo: Quit saying stupid things.

By-the-way Senator Rubio, "theory" and "belief" are not interchangeable.

#243835 - 11/19/12 08:21 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...from Wonkette:

Quote:
When asked a question about science, Rubio answered with “I’m not a scientist, man.” This sounds stupid, sure. But it also implies that a scientist would know the answer, which they [censored] do, but Rubio still just stands, gazing in wonderment, about how we will never know, so that dumb people will vote for him.

#243837 - 11/19/12 08:26 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually, Rubio can't really say, because he's 'not a scientist.' (He said it twice in case we missed it the first time.) He can tell us what history says - even though he's not a historian; but that 'science stuff' - it's somehow 'different.'

#243838 - 11/19/12 08:31 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Seems even the Pope knows more about this than Rubio.

Quote:
According to the widely accepted scientific account, the universe erupted 15 billion years ago in an explosion called the 'Big Bang' and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Later there gradually emerged the conditions necessary for the formation of atoms, still later the condensation of galaxies and stars, and about 10 billion years later the formation of planets. In our own solar system and on earth (formed about 4.5 billion years ago), the conditions have been favorable to the emergence of life. While there is little consensus among scientists about how the origin of this first microscopic life is to be explained, there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5–4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution.

Pope Benedict XVI

WikiPedia

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#243839 - 11/19/12 08:38 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: california rick
Actually, Rubio can't really say, because he's 'not a scientist.' (He said it twice in case we missed it the first time.) He can tell us what history says - even though he's not a historian; but that 'science stuff' - it's somehow 'different.'

And don't forget he said that he could tell us what the Bible says, even though he's not a theologian either. You're right Rick-Marco Rubio says stupid things.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#243840 - 11/19/12 08:44 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: Ezekiel]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel
Seems even the Pope knows more about this than Rubio.

Quote:
According to the widely accepted scientific account, the universe erupted 15 billion years ago in an explosion called the 'Big Bang' and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Later there gradually emerged the conditions necessary for the formation of atoms, still later the condensation of galaxies and stars, and about 10 billion years later the formation of planets. In our own solar system and on earth (formed about 4.5 billion years ago), the conditions have been favorable to the emergence of life. While there is little consensus among scientists about how the origin of this first microscopic life is to be explained, there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5–4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution.

Pope Benedict XVI

WikiPedia

More proof, as if any were needed, that the pope does not speak for the Almighty. His Word is entirely unambiguous on this subject and not open to debate.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#243841 - 11/19/12 08:56 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
numan Offline
veteran

Loc: What! Me Worry?
'
Senator Rubio just has an honest condern that government of the rubes, by the rubes and for the rubes shall not perish from the earth.

I du believe whatever trash
'll keep the people in blindness,
That we the Mexicans can thrash
Right into brotherly kindness;
That bombshells, grape, an' powder an' ball
Are goodwill's strongest magnets,
That peace, to make it stick at all,
Must be druv in with bay'nets.

In short, I firmly du believe
In HUMBUG, gen'rally,
Fer it's a thing that I perceive
To have a solid value;
This hath my faithful shepherd been,
In pastures sweet hath led me;
An' this'll keep the people green,
To feed ez they have fed me.

----James Russell Lowell, The Pious Politician's Creed, (1848)

#243849 - 11/19/12 09:31 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Yes sireeeeeee!

Here they come:

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#243860 - 11/19/12 11:06 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...from Slate:

Quote:
I got a chill when I read Rubio’s statements, “I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United tates. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow.”

Perhaps Senator Rubio is unaware that science—and its sisters engineering and technology— are actually the very foundation of our country’s economy? All of our industry, all of our technology, everything that keeps our country functioning at all can be traced back to scientific research and a scientific understanding of the Universe.

Cell phones, computers, cars, machinery, medicine, the Internet, manufacturing, communication, agriculture, transportation, on and on … all of these industries rely on science to work. Without basic research none of these would exist.

#244066 - 11/21/12 02:02 PM Re: Rubio says 'stupid things' [Re: pdx rick]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

Seems to be a lot of concern from left of center over Rubio. A perceived threat will do that. Knowing the way things go I'd check his birth certificate, see if he has a dog, check out off shore investments, see if he attends a church with a whacked minister, see if he's a closet Marxist and on and on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2