Current Topics
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by logtroll
34 minutes 57 seconds ago
High Schooler Gives Up Crown After Friend Was Pranked Into Thinking She Was Nomi
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Top 10 myths about the Constitution on Constitution Day
by jgw
Yesterday at 04:25 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 02:03 PM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by logtroll
Yesterday at 01:45 PM
Reno Crowd Agrees: “Best Race I Ever Saw!” (w/video)
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
'Supernanny' Jo Frost -- I Can Help Adrian Peterson ... Contacts NFL Execs
by Ardy
09/20/14 07:12 PM
Defense of the GOP
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:14 PM
The Round Table For Week Of September 14th-September 20th, 2014
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:10 PM
Chocolate Milk Isn't Just For Kids: How The Drink Helps Your Workout, Brain, And
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 01:11 PM
P. J. O'Rourke: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster
by NW Ponderer
09/19/14 12:44 PM
Historic 'Ghost Ships' Discovered Near Golden Gate Bridge
by california rick
09/18/14 09:51 PM
The Ten Commandments
by california rick
09/18/14 09:48 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by california rick
09/18/14 09:25 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/14 06:32 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14353 Topics
247671 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#259004 - 07/03/13 01:52 AM Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets?
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA

I saw the following in Wall Street Journal. I do thin that it raises some interesting questions

Quote:
Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets?

Mr. Snowden took that position so he could arrange to have published classified communications intelligence, as he told the South China Morning Post earlier this month. The point of Mr. Snowden's penetration was to get classified data from the NSA. He subsequently stated: "My position with Booz Allen Hamilton granted me access to lists of machines all over the world the NSA hacked, that is why I accepted that position."

The thing is.... Snowden presents himself as someone who was involved in things that he found unsavory... which ultimately compelled him to take the actions that he took.

But Snowden only worked for Booz Allne for 3 months. It does not seem to me that that is an adequate amount of time to experience the crisis of conscience and frustration that he describes. Also.... in his capacity as a computer administrator... his normal job would not inherently bring all of these things that "concern" him into his job experience. A computer system admin does works on technical problems that are arcane, but largely technical in nature. You do not get exposed to lots of content.... unless you are just plain curious and go out looking. It is as if you take your computer to a shop to get it repaired.... mostly the technician is not concerned with... and ethically should not go rummaging through your computer looking at all the files in the machine. But it appears that is exactly what Snowden did.... he treated his position as a 3 month research project

And that inclines me to think that he entered his position with an agenda to gather and expose information.

So (giving Snowden the benefit of the doubt) perhaps previous Snowden had previous experiences that were the basis for his frustration. Perhaps. But that is not how Snowden has presented himself and his story, is it? If a person wants to be a whistleblower and to promote transparency... why not be truthful, accurate, and transparent about what your story is? Why misrepresent yourself and your story?

Also, from his actions in drawing attention to himself, it appears to me that Snowden has unnecessarily put himself in the spotlight of attention... when he could have easily faded away into obscurity somewhere. If Snowden had simply become a beach bum in Hawaii, it would have been difficult to connect hhim to this leak. Instead, he seems to have chosen a path that really only makes a lot of sense if it is part of a broader plan/agenda.... where Snowden as a victim being pursued brings ongoing attention to the story.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#259017 - 07/03/13 08:58 AM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Originally Posted By: Ardy
And that inclines me to think that he entered his position with an agenda to gather and expose information.

Of course he did, he's already said so. The high school drop-out had nothing else going for him in his oh so mundane life.

Eddie seems so confused as to why the United States government isn't rolling out the red carpet for him and welcoming him back to America with open arms like the hero he knows he is. He's either being completely disingenuous or completely clueless to the fact that he feels that he has a job to do, and that the job of the United States government might not match up with his expectations on this particular issue.

Little Eddie Snowed-in seems to be the only one truly confused by the government's response to someone who leaked classified information concerning our security. Then again, he is a high school dropout as I wrote earlier.

...and, so, the NSA blabber-mouth and dork doesn't quite understand that there is no such thing as part-time martyrdom. You can't crawl up on the cross, and then whine when the folks don't allow you to crawl back down without a fight because you lost your nerve.

That's all I've got about little Eddie.

#259082 - 07/04/13 06:06 PM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: Ardy]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
caveat: all that follows may be tinfoil material and as is usual with such material there is no factual basis for any of it

a person i know worked for Booz Allen and when i jokingly asked about his involvement with spying he offered a comment which may suggest an avenue of investigation

he suggested snowden may have been a cia plant involved in an internal war amongst the security agencies ... he offered the following general scenario: that one of the agencies was involved in some black ops which gen petraeus would not tolerate, so "they" discredited him preemptively. The opposition then continued, so the CIA planted Snowden to expose their plans

this appears to be a fertile field for active imaginations

#259086 - 07/04/13 06:28 PM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: rporter314]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

You spelled "febrile" wrong.

#259120 - 07/05/13 10:22 PM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: Ardy]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Given what we have learned from the Bradley Manning thing as well as this one I think the answer, as to who helped, would be the incompetent government of the United States of America. Apparently, however, that body does not agree as NOBODY, as far as I can tell, is being held responsible for these messes.

#259129 - 07/06/13 09:58 AM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: jgw]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Let me get this straight.

Snowden applied for a job, concealing his real purpose, which was to steal secret information and then reveal it to the world in contravention of his sworn oath to keep said secrets.

And we want to blame someone other than Snowden for his perfidy?

#259132 - 07/06/13 10:28 AM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California

Obviously the lady in Booz Allen's H.R. and the benefits lady both had their hands in this dastardly charade too. coffee

#259135 - 07/06/13 11:03 AM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I've gotten a little lost in all the dust devils - were there actually "state secrets" stolen (which means classified docs, to me) or was it just that he spilled the beans on the extent of the data mining going on?

#259140 - 07/06/13 11:59 AM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: logtroll]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: logtroll
I've gotten a little lost in all the dust devils - were there actually "state secrets" stolen (which means classified docs, to me) or was it just that he spilled the beans on the extent of the data mining going on?

In the article CA Rick cited above:

Quote:
"I did not release them earlier because I don't want to simply dump huge amounts of documents without regard to their content," (Snowden) said. "I have to screen everything before releasing it to journalists."

#259141 - 07/06/13 12:01 PM Re: Who Helped Snowden Steal State Secrets? [Re: california rick]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: california rick

Obviously the lady in Booz Allen's H.R. and the benefits lady both had their hands in this dastardly charade too. coffee

OK, Rick, I admit this went over my head. Were you being facetious? The coffee thing makes me think so, but I am asking just to clarify n my own mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2