6003 Members
55 Forums
14474 Topics
248744 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#261000 - 08/12/13 07:14 PM Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Heidi Wigdahl
WBIR Channel 10, Knoxville, Tennessee
August 11, 2013

Quote:
...Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

That is when the first name came into question...

[Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew] ordered the 7-month-old's name be "Martin DeShawn McCullough." It includes both parent's last names but leaves out Messiah.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," ...

More, with video clip

Reader comments

The judge says that Hispanics naming their sons "Jesus" is not relevant to the case. She apparently wasn't asked about Mr. and Mrs. Ciccone naming their daughter "Madonna."

The judge needs to be overruled.

Edited by Golem (08/12/13 09:06 PM)

#261004 - 08/12/13 08:43 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Golem]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Jaleesa Martin, the baby’s mother, is outraged by the unasked-for name change, and said that she had chosen the name because she liked the way it sounded alongside the names of her older children, Micah and Mason:

Quote:
I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn’t think a judge could make me change my baby’s name because of her religious beliefs.

Is a Child Support Magistrate allowed to do that, even? Obviously, this one did, and while I am not a lawyer and am far too lazy to do much research on how the First Amendment applies to baby names, I did find an overview that notes:

Quote:
The law governing the naming of babies is surprisingly difficult to ascertain. In some states, there is a complete absence of any law on the subject. … [and in] other states, there are patchwork statutes that address some, but not all, of the potential legal issues.

Looks like this will be an interesting case to follow up, and I would hope that Ms. Martin has the ACLU’s phone number.

The Social Security Administration indicates that “Messiah” is an increasingly popular baby name, which is probably yet another sign (along with the popularity of the middle name “Nevaeh” for girls) that the Apocalypse is nigh.

Judge Ballew insists that the name change is in the child’s best interests - the area has a large Christian population, which presumably led her to rename him after the Roman god of war:

Quote:
It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is.

And now, neither do his parents, so it all works out pretty equally.

God forbid someone named Jesus ends up in this yahoo's courtroom. She would probably fine them for pronouncing it wrong.

#261005 - 08/12/13 08:50 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: pdx rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Ya mean, "Hey, Seuss!"?

#261021 - 08/13/13 08:26 AM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Golem]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Wonder what she would have done if the singer Emmanuel had walked into her courtroom on a traffic charge?

This woman needs to be removed from the bench NOW!

#261025 - 08/13/13 05:54 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Golem]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
my oldest son is a seraphim and my youngest is a bodhisattva ... will she change their names????

#261030 - 08/13/13 07:46 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: rporter314]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I think another judge should be petitioned to change to anti-Messiah judge's name to 'Be-atch'.

I think a kid could get a lot of mileage out of the nickname "Messy". "Feck you, Ma, I ain't cleanin' up my room. You the one what named me Messy!!"

#261077 - 08/14/13 11:06 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Golem]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Golem
Heidi Wigdahl
WBIR Channel 10, Knoxville, Tennessee
August 11, 2013

[QUOTE]...Jaleesa Martin and the father of Messiah could not agree on a last name, which is how they ended up at a child support hearing in Cocke County Chancery Court on Thursday.

It would be nice to have some context to the article. It is stated that the birth certificate is already the baby's name on it. The way the words are used, it indicates that the father is simply a baby-daddy. If that is indeed the case, and the two are arguing over what the baby's last name should be, who instigated the child support court appearance? If this is the case, why would the father even have a say in the baby's name? And, more importantly, who instigated the child support court appearance regarding the dispute over the name -- the mother and father or a government agency? If it was the mother and father, then their opting to go before a judge to have the issue dealt with, was their own. If so, and they did not like the outcome, tough --next time , don't involve the state.
Yours,
Issodhos

Edited by issodhos (08/15/13 09:17 PM)
Edit Reason: word change

#261090 - 08/15/13 02:20 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: issodhos]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Iss
regardless of how the parents feel about this, and why the case arrived in front of a judge, I think that we are all free to wonder if the following comment from the judge is appropriate

Quote:
"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Ballew said.

As far as I can find out, the word Messiah is a Hebrew term from the Jewish religion. As such, I would think that Jews would be the most appropriate to detirmine if "Messiah is ... a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ"

In case you should be interested in a Jewish perspective on the word.... here is a link
jewish encycopedia From my review of that link, I see no indication that Jews have not formed a consensus that Jesus Christ is their Messiah.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#261093 - 08/15/13 04:24 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Golem]
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

Jesus Christ is the Messiah's Handle.

#261104 - 08/15/13 08:01 PM Re: Tennessee judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah' [Re: Ted Remington]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
It is none of that judge's damn business what parents name their children. She had no right to order that name change, and I am sure that the subsequent courts will rule in the mother's favor. That judge should be removed from the bench. She overwhelmingly overstepped her bounds.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2