by rporter314
07:00 PM
Big brother is watching
by Joe Keegan
07:00 PM
Round Table For April 20th-April 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
12:20 PM
Was Robert E. Lee a patriot or a traitor?
by NW Ponderer
12:06 PM
What would you ask your Senator for?
by logtroll
11:13 AM
If you don't vote......
by Scoutgal
10:07 AM
CNN: Can this KKK leader rebrand?
by NW Ponderer
02:21 AM
America is no longer a democracy.
by california rick
01:58 AM
Middle Class: The Labor and the Market That Supports the 1%
by california rick
04/22/14 10:03 PM
How Americans die
by Ardy
04/22/14 07:11 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14017 Topics
243856 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#261568 - 08/28/13 09:54 AM Utah can't find drug users
Ted Remington Offline
old hand

The state of Utah admits that their program of drug testing of welfare applicants has not turned up a lot of abuse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/welfare-drug-testing_n_3822750.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Quote:
From August 2012 through July 2013, the state prescreened 4,730 applicants to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program with a written test. The state followed up with an actual drug test for the 466 of those whose written answers suggested a likelihood of drug use.

The 466 tests turned out 12 positive results, as the Associated Press first reported. The results were similar when Florida launched welfare drug testing in 2011 and just 2.6 percent of applicants tested positive. National surveys usually find that about 8 percent of respondents used drugs in the previous month.

Utah's drug screening cost the state about $31,000. But state Rep. Brad Wilson (R-Kaysville) told HuffPost he thinks the bill saved more than it cost. He said an additional 247 Utahns dropped out of the TANF application process after they were told to expect a drug test.

Let me see if I have this straight

Utah pre-screened 4730 possible drug users, then tested 466 of them with a total expenditure of $31,000.

I looked on line. There's a company called PDS that will sell drug screenings for $48 each. But let's give Utah the benefit of the doubt. They buy in volume. Say they get them for $35. The drug tests cost them $16,000 more or less.

That leaves $15,000 to account for. Say it takes half an hour to pre-screen an applicant. 4730 applicants times half an hour is 2365 staff hours. Divide that into $15,000 and you get $6.34 per hour for payroll costs. No need to look further at overhead, postage, etc., etc., etc. You have the state of Utah paying employees a buck an hour less than minimum wage. Right. And I am the tooth fairy.

If there is ANYONE out there who believes this, I have a nice deed to a bridge across the ocean to Ireland i will let you have really inexpensively.

#261573 - 08/28/13 05:54 PM Re: Utah can't find drug users [Re: Ted Remington]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
The screening was a written test. If it is multiple choice, then it doesn't take anywhere near 30 minutes to grade. More like 30 seconds.

And somehow I just can't imagine a state welfare office requiring and grading essay-type questions!

This is Utah, after all. I bet the "screening test" consisted of three questions:

Are you a Mormon? yes no
Are you a Christian? yes no
Are you a Republican? yes no

#261584 - 08/28/13 07:59 PM Re: Utah can't find drug users [Re: Ted Remington]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Originally Posted By: Ted Remington

If there is ANYONE out there who believes this, I have a nice deed to a bridge across the ocean to Ireland i will let you have really inexpensively.

Ted, I hear Alaska has a bridge to nowhere which is even che....oh wait tonbricks ....never mind!

---Benjamin Bratton

#261585 - 08/28/13 08:01 PM Re: Utah can't find drug users [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

Are you a Mormon? yes no
Are you a Christian? yes no
Are you a Republican? yes no

Isn't that the same form you fill out when you visit a Utah State Liquor Dispensary?

---Benjamin Bratton

#261590 - 08/29/13 01:39 AM Re: Utah can't find drug users [Re: Ted Remington]
Bored Member Offline
stranger

Drug testing by urine analysis is not effective. It's easy to beat a urine test. There's many recipes out there on the web to make a detox drink that will skew any urine drug test.....

Most drugs leave your system within 3 days but marijuana lasts 30 days or more. The urine can be cleansed effectively to remove any trace of marijuana. The effective ingredient is creatine, sugar & water. Some B12 and some milk thistle will add back the yellow color and dirty the sample sufficiently to avoid any red flags due to the specimen testing too clean.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2