Current Topics
High Schooler Gives Up Crown After Friend Was Pranked Into Thinking She Was Nomi
by california rick
28 minutes 1 second ago
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by california rick
30 minutes 39 seconds ago
Top 10 myths about the Constitution on Constitution Day
by jgw
Yesterday at 04:25 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 02:03 PM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by logtroll
Yesterday at 01:45 PM
Reno Crowd Agrees: “Best Race I Ever Saw!” (w/video)
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
'Supernanny' Jo Frost -- I Can Help Adrian Peterson ... Contacts NFL Execs
by Ardy
09/20/14 07:12 PM
Defense of the GOP
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:14 PM
The Round Table For Week Of September 14th-September 20th, 2014
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:10 PM
Chocolate Milk Isn't Just For Kids: How The Drink Helps Your Workout, Brain, And
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 01:11 PM
P. J. O'Rourke: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster
by NW Ponderer
09/19/14 12:44 PM
Historic 'Ghost Ships' Discovered Near Golden Gate Bridge
by california rick
09/18/14 09:51 PM
The Ten Commandments
by california rick
09/18/14 09:48 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by california rick
09/18/14 09:25 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/14 06:32 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14353 Topics
247675 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264471 - 10/27/13 01:53 PM Politics by "meme"
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
This thread was created to allow for a fuller discussion of an idea that our friend Ardy began in another thread. Here is part of that discussion:
Quote:
Welp, none of this really matters, because as NW_P has correctly pointed out, this story is totally bogus as per the U.S. Marines as well.

Once again, we have conservatives regurgitating a false meme of Murdoch origination. Probably a paid TP/RNC operative or two within our ranks as well using the power of the great Capital Hill Blue - Reader Rant voice. Why these folks hate America so much that they would rather see the first black president fail, rather than to see America succeed. Amazing, simply amazing.

Conservatives got a two-fer with this story: disparage women by saying the uniforms were 'girly' and putting down the first black president.(California Rick)

Quote:
And eventually, this discontent makes its way to the media and ultimately to Fox News. And for fox and their ilk, this sort of story is perfect. It fits in with what they are already saying about how stupid the administration is

So, through various channels, the story takes on an entirely distorted shape.

Then this "story" takes on a life of its own on the internet where all of the Obama haters add this to their arsenal of examples of an administration that is grossly incompetent.

From all I have read the Above narrative matches up to known facts.

But wait, there is MORE!

So if such a distorted view of "facts" could worm its way into being a cultural meme. Is this a one off exception. Or is it part of a larger pattern ?

Well consider the issues surrounding the supposed IRS attack on conservative orgs. An attack that caws clearly political in nature and orchestrated from the very top of the administration. Well that also was a meme that was incorrect in just about every possible way. Or how about the plain meme that Obama is a coddler of terrorists. Or that he is a Muslim, or born in Africa, or he is a communist, or that his intention is to destroy the family, or that he is our own hitler, or that obama care is a complete takeover of healthcare that will destroy our economy, etc etc etc

But in order to avoid posting a completely partisan screed Let me go on to point out that this same sort of phenomena can and does infect liberals as well. During the bush administration I remember all sorts of demonization memes that were popular.

I suppose people have a natural tendency to look for evidence that confirms their fears or biases(Ardy)

Carry on

#264474 - 10/27/13 03:23 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: Phil Hoskins]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

All politics as presented to the public is political meme, Hoskins. Ardy probably knows this.

#264482 - 10/27/13 04:11 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: issodhos]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: issodhos

All politics as presented to the public is political meme, Hoskins. Ardy probably knows this.

Fortunately this is not the case with libertarian or "classical liberalism" ROTFMOL

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264493 - 10/27/13 05:26 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: issodhos]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
All politics as presented to the public is political meme

live in a vacuum and throw darts at whatever your current position should be

#264497 - 10/27/13 05:52 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: Ardy]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ardy

Fortunately this is not the case with libertarian or "classical liberalism" ROTFMOL

If you are referring to the Libertarian party, it to presents a political meme to the public. The Libertarian party currently lacks the depth of dishonesty and corruption that is part and parcel of the two major parties, but, then, they are too inconsequential tobe co-opted by the usual suspects. Political parties are as they are.

#264498 - 10/27/13 05:55 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: rporter314]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: rporter314

live in a vacuum and throw darts at whatever your current position should be

I have been in this forum, minus a couple of "permanent" bans, since 2005. Feel free to show where I have not been consistent in my positions on issues, Pi.
Yours,
Issodhos

#264499 - 10/27/13 06:02 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: issodhos]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
...The Libertarian party currently lacks the depth of dishonesty and corruption that is part and parcel of the two major parties, but, then, they are too inconsequential tobe co-opted by the usual suspects. Political parties are as they are.

How can such a differskrepancy exist given their common descent from the American Christian meme? And just what makes them danged Libertaians so inconsequential, anyways?

Ah'm guessin' even the Austrian meme is a bastard stepchild of the Christian meme, since we are having a basically Christian culture, no?

I think I'm seein' the problem now, we's a damn buncha inbreds, what with no cultural "genetic" diversity!!

#264501 - 10/27/13 06:17 PM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: logtroll]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Originally Posted By: logtroll
How can such a differskrepancy exist given their common descent from the American Christian meme? And just what makes them danged Libertaians so inconsequential, anyways?

Ah'm guessin' even the Austrian meme is a bastard stepchild of the Christian meme, since we are having a basically Christian culture, no?

I think I'm seein' the problem now, we's a damn buncha inbreds, what with no cultural "genetic" diversity!!

No offense loggy, but I'd love to (minor) editorize your post:

Ah'm guessin' even the Austrian meme is a bastard stepchild of the Christian meme, since we are having a basically Christian culture, also too?

I think I'm seein' the problem now, we's a damn buncha inbreds, what with no cultural "genetic" diversity - meanin' not enough browns and poorz!

===
Fixed. smile

#264535 - 10/28/13 12:33 AM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: issodhos]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
All politics as presented to the public is political meme

i guess you completely missed my intent ... in response to avoid your criticism [my comment]

figure it out

#264539 - 10/28/13 07:26 AM Re: Politics by "meme" [Re: Phil Hoskins]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Getting back to substance: politics by meme makes sense in an evolutionary (if corrosive) way. Political parties are, by function, organizations that work by shorthand - breaking complex political philosophies down into bite-sized political positions that can be expressed.in sound bites to masses of ill-informed voters to sway elections. This tendency is exacerbated by a news media that eschews traditional (and expensive) investigative journalism for headlines and punditry (which is far cheaper and more lucrative). As a result, their audience is less skilled at critical thinking. Finally, the population, reared on video gaming and instant communications, has no patience and little ability to separate fact from fantasy.

Take all of that potent admixture, and with a lack of conscience or scuples one can Goebblize the entire population (a la FOX News). What we have here, really, is a growing infection from a deliberately inserted bacterium. What we need are potent anti-biotics, but, unfortunately, this is a multi-resistant strain.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2