by Ken Condon
Today at 12:22 PM
Gunz, agin
by logtroll
Today at 06:02 AM
Normalizing Cu ban Relations
by pdx rick
Today at 12:50 AM
Booze calculator: What's your drinking nationality?
by Golem
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Prosecutor in Ferguson grand jury says he knew some witnesses were lying
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 12:02 PM
Defense of the GOP
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:45 AM
the sins of sony and security
by jgw
12/19/14 08:51 PM
Round Table For The Month Of December, 2014
by Phil Hoskins
12/19/14 12:00 PM
Current case study: Oil and the Free Market
by NW Ponderer
12/18/14 04:03 PM
Just a random thought that keeps circulating in my brain:
by NW Ponderer
12/17/14 10:42 AM
Graphic report on CIA interrogations, torture released by Senate panel
by Phil Hoskins
12/16/14 09:30 PM
Philip K. Dick would have been 86 today: Some thoughts on hi
by pondering_it_all
12/16/14 08:17 PM
Five GOP immigration myths
by pondering_it_all
12/15/14 03:12 PM
'Annie': Film Review
by pdx rick
12/15/14 12:19 AM
10 most dangerous jobs
by logtroll
12/14/14 02:36 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14504 Topics
249018 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#264511 - 10/27/13 07:19 PM The problem with politics
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Phil started a thread based upon some stuff I wrote...
Politics by meme....

I had not thought of it as a separate thread and so had not considered a "point"

So here is a slightly different approach to it.

Let's suppose that we are humans

Let's suppose that humans share many similar features... as is the case with other animals.

From a medical/biological perspective, we could talk about the sorts of diseases the humans tend to get.

But, let's look at human thought processes. Are there any commonalities between people?

I propose that in the same way that we tend to be vulnerable to certain diseases... we are vulnerable to certain fairly common errors of thought.... just because... we are all human.

Are we "different" than other people? Are our political problems somehow unique. Is the polarization that afflicts us different that what troubles other societies?

Historically speaking.... I think that everything we see now has been seen before. The plays of Shakespeare hold up because we clearly recognize similar things in the world around us. That is pretty obvious is it not?

So people exhibit general patterns of behavior, illogical thought, self deception.... and on and on and on.

So, as sort of a liberal, it is easy for me to see the stupidity of conservatives. But, then the question becomes.... are liberals somehow immune to similar defects of reason and thought? Do we really think that is TRUE?

We deny American exceptionalism... only to assert liberal exceptionalism.

I think that liberals should stop pretending that they are so GD smart... and that other people would agree with them if only they were smart enough.

I think that we have to admit the fact that we all make errors and are vulnerable to be manipulated by clever media, and our friends' opinions, and political rhetoric, etc.

People who disagree with us have legitimate concerns. Maybe those concerns are not well expressed by their putative leaders. But we need to make the effort to understand what those concerns are.... rather than dismissing them as stupid.

So, let's say that both sides of the political chasm have some concerns. Each side tends to be defensive about their "own side" and hostile about the "other side."

But this is not particularly new is it. We are not the first people who have encountered this problem.

So, acknowledging that there is this chasm.... and that it is pretty ugly.... what can we say about politics?

Well, there are not so many different alternatives that we have available. We could have a dictatorship of some type, we could have a theocracy, or something else I suppose. But none of us want those things.

So how do we get along and work together for the good of our country and it's future?

I am sorry to say that politics is the only reasonable option that I know of. We have to figure this thing out. And that starts with listening to, and respecting others whose views differ from our own.

Implying that those who disagree with us are stupid.... that is not helpful.

Thinking that our own shxt does not stink is a delusion.

Politics---for all of its problems--- it is all we got. So let's try to make it work.

Ardy

Edited by Ardy (10/27/13 07:21 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264513 - 10/27/13 07:42 PM Re: The problem with politics [Re: Ardy]
logtroll Online   happy
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Are there any rules?

#264514 - 10/27/13 07:57 PM Re: The problem with politics [Re: logtroll]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Are there any rules?

Yes of course there are rules
and the the whole debt limit/ budget debacle should have been contextualized as as a commitment to follow the rules.... As established by the constitution.... rather than an unwillingness to negotiate.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2