Current Topics
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by logtroll
34 minutes 57 seconds ago
High Schooler Gives Up Crown After Friend Was Pranked Into Thinking She Was Nomi
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Top 10 myths about the Constitution on Constitution Day
by jgw
Yesterday at 04:25 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 02:03 PM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by logtroll
Yesterday at 01:45 PM
Reno Crowd Agrees: “Best Race I Ever Saw!” (w/video)
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
'Supernanny' Jo Frost -- I Can Help Adrian Peterson ... Contacts NFL Execs
by Ardy
09/20/14 07:12 PM
Defense of the GOP
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:14 PM
The Round Table For Week Of September 14th-September 20th, 2014
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:10 PM
Chocolate Milk Isn't Just For Kids: How The Drink Helps Your Workout, Brain, And
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 01:11 PM
P. J. O'Rourke: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster
by NW Ponderer
09/19/14 12:44 PM
Historic 'Ghost Ships' Discovered Near Golden Gate Bridge
by california rick
09/18/14 09:51 PM
The Ten Commandments
by california rick
09/18/14 09:48 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by california rick
09/18/14 09:25 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/14 06:32 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14353 Topics
247671 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#264586 - 10/30/13 07:37 AM America's problem: It's the system, stupid!
Doug Thompson Offline

Honcho
old hand

Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains of Virgin...

America’s problem: It’s the system, stupid!

103013revolution

Whenever I write about politics and show an equal distaste for both Democrats and Republicans, some partisans try to claim I cannot be a political agnostic.

Which, in my opinion, shows just how dumb and stupid many political partisans can be.

It is the nature of partisans to believe that everyone, without exception, must subscribe to one political affiliation or another or subscribe to one or the other of the standard stereotypes that are overused to describe beliefs.

Perhaps politics has numbed down America to that point. God, I hope hot.

It is the nature of politics, and the power brokers that run parties, to both discourage and do everything in their power to stop individualism, freedom of thought or independence. By nature, political parties are structured to demand absolute adherence to dogma and singular ways of thinking.

Which is why political parties themselves are dangerous entities.

What makes this even more laughable is that whenever someone like me suggests that both the Republican and Democratic parties are out of control, too many out there suggest that the way to solve the problem is to simply create more political parties.

We saw this in past Presidential campaigns with the rise — and well-deserved fall — of the so-called “freedom movement” — supporting the outlandish idea that maverick Texas Congressman Ron Paul was America’s much-needed savior.

To accomplish this, those who genuflected to Paul’s propaganda pushed an organization that — in typical political party mode — required absolute acceptance of certain beliefs and required behavior.

In other words, yet another mind-controlling and mind-numbing organization that told people what to think and punished those who did not follow the line of the day without question.

Which goes to the heart of my concern about the political system that controls American government: The problem is not limited to Republicans or Democrats or Libertarians or conservatives or moderates or the right or the left.

The problem is the system itself and nothing constructive can be accomplished without the complete and absolute destruction of that system.

For lack of a better term, I’m not talking about evolution but revolution. The current system must be replaced. It cannot simply be changed. The American system of government needs a total and complete overhaul.

We must find a way to take money, greed and a lust for power out of the current equation that defines how America functions.

How? Hell, I don’t know. I’m not smart enough to come up with a system that could work but I do know that the system we have now is not working and simply fiddling with it or attempting a piecemeal approach cannot even begin to solve the problem.

I’m not talking about scrapping democracy because America does not have a democracy and hasn’t had one for a long time. We don’t even have anything that resembles the bastardized Democratic Republic envisioned by the nation’s founders.

America’s government is not representative of the people. The people have little or nothing to say about what happens in Washington and any and all attempts to bring about change are thwarted from the outset by those in power.

It is both hilarious and disturbing that the so-called “tea party” movement was billed as an attempt by “the people” to regain control of America. The tea party was a cold, callous, carefully-designed campaign funded and controlled by two billionaire brothers to advance their own agendas and create a false impression of “grassroots.”

For a while the effort appeared to succeed because it thrived on gullibility of the masses — nothing more.

America is in trouble. America is headed for oblivion. Simply throwing out the incumbents or replacing one set of partisans with another is not the answer.

It’s the system, stupid, and until we replace it, nothing will change.

___

Copyright © 2013 Capitol Hill Blue

#264588 - 10/30/13 08:32 AM Re: America's problem: It's the system, stupid! [Re: Doug Thompson]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I had the opportunity, in the now distant past, to have a serious conversation with a then-freshman (since retired) Senator about a position he had taken which was not popular in his state. He gave a thoughtful, considered response, and I became a supporter. Then legislators had a lot more leeway to "vote their conscience." I agree that the system is broken, but I don't think it is the form of government that is the problem. I agree that it is party politics and the influence of money. How to avoid throwing the baby (the system) out with the bathwater (party-lobbyist complex) is the problem of our times.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264595 - 10/30/13 01:03 PM Re: America's problem: It's the system, stupid! [Re: Doug Thompson]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
There is another ignored factor IMO

It is a known fact that we humans see what we expect to see If you look at the clouds you may not see a sheep or a face. But if you are in a group of people pointing at a face in the clouds you will likely see the face before long

Our preconceptions of what the world is like shapes our perception of reality. So if we think the government is good like we felt during the eisenhour years. Then that is what we will see. We will not notice the nefarious role of the CIA in other nations. And now our perspective has shifted. Perhaps better informed but also with a significantly different set of preconceptions to shape our realty

We see constant news reports of horrible crimes an think the world is becoming much less safe. Yet statistics tell the opposite story

Over the last 40 years conservative ideas have been pushed into the public consciousness. Government is trying to destroy Christianity
government cannot do anything right
We need a strong military to protect us
Our taxes just keep going up.
Our liberties are practically gone
If you just work hard enough everyone. Can be rich
If you are not rich you are not working hard enough
Taxing the rich destroys job
Government regulations Are destroying the economy

This is a small listing of the memes through which we now perceive truth. These ideas are form our subconscious public preconceptions. They can no longer be discussed

TeA party house members are responding to a very real public sentiment in their districts. These ideas have been consciously promulgated for years. For decades.

Ayn rand used to be. Pretty weird. Now not so much

We have become a different people. We respond to different messages.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264598 - 10/30/13 01:34 PM Re: America's problem: It's the system, stupid! [Re: Ardy]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

huh?

#264641 - 10/31/13 06:44 PM Re: America's problem: It's the system, stupid! [Re: Ardy]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Don't forget:

I have the right to own as many guns as I want, of any type I want.

And in some states:

I have the right to use those guns to kill somebody, anytime I feel threatened.

#264646 - 10/31/13 07:04 PM Re: America's problem: It's the system, stupid! [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Don't forget:

I have the right to own as many guns as I want, of any type I want.

Collectng fire arms is the only hobby that is constitutionally protected, doncha know. Although I hear that the NFL is going to try to achieve a similar status.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2