Current Topics
Data shows majority does not rule in the US it is the rich and special interests
by Ardy
Today at 02:40 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
Yesterday at 03:32 PM
Was Robert E. Lee a patriot or a traitor?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 03:25 PM
Two for Easter
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:00 PM
Round Table For April 20th-April 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 01:13 PM
Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher
by california rick
Yesterday at 11:37 AM
Animals with Human Rights Make Researchers Run Scared
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:30 PM
The New American Center: Why our nation isn't as divided as we think
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:13 PM
Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism
by california rick
04/19/14 06:14 PM
Bullying has negative impacts that last decades after childhood
by logtroll
04/19/14 10:02 AM
Fargo (TV series)
by Phil Hoskins
04/18/14 11:01 PM
Round Table For Week Of April 13th-April 19th, 2014
by Scoutgal
04/18/14 07:29 PM
Chick-fil-A Looks to Lower the Heat on Gay Marriage
by Spag-hetti
04/18/14 09:09 AM
Ukraine
by Ardy
04/18/14 01:57 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14007 Topics
243719 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#264606 - 10/30/13 05:48 PM Making ACA decisions based upon substance
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

There are any number of critics of the Affordable care act. Unfortunately, most of them are basing their criticisms not upon facts, but upon their own fantasies. Inside the Fox News lie machine: I fact-checked Sean Hannity on Obamacare ; Right-Wing Media Pushes Misleading Attack On ACA Website Privacy

Instead, I'd prefer a discussion based upon substance. I'm not alone in this desire. For example, ObamaCare Facts: Affordable Care Act, Health Insurance Marketplace; Explaining Obamacare to Small Employers Already Providing Health Insurance

What do we know? As of today, "While the federal government has grabbed headlines for slow health insurance exchange enrollment, many state-based marketplaces have amassed thousands of completed coverage applications." State-Run Health Insurance Exchanges Showing Early Success The best figure I've found to date is that "a combined 476,000 people had submitted applications for health insurance on state and federal exchanges." Approximately half through States and half through the federal exchange. Obamacare's Health Exchange Application Figures Are In: Do They Signal Success or Failure? That's in the first month.

"Since March 2010 the Affordable Care Act has afforded 3.1 million young adults access to insurance they would not otherwise have." Obamacare Throws Lifeline to Young Adults Seeking Health Insurance But it doesn't end there: 10 Things You Get Now That Obamacare Survived

But, because of the efforts of die-hard, short-sighted, doctrine-obsessed Governors in 20+ States millions of Americans can't get free coverage they would otherwise qualify for under Obamacare. When I found out how bad it actually was, I was sick. Over 2 million in Texas, where to qualify for Medicaid one cannot make more than... $4000 a year. So too, in Mississippi. Even though the ACA would cover 100% of the expansion, and 90% until 2024. Medicaid and CHIP Eligibility Table by State (This is because the Supreme Court created an "opt out" for Republican States.)

I'd like reactions and substantive discussion. SO, I'll be asking for links for any figures that are bandied about. smile

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264616 - 10/31/13 01:02 AM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Even though we are on Karen's VA Health Care policy, this IS one of the many reasons we felt we had to move out of Texas and move BACK to Southern California.

I saw the signals and had my ear to the rails and knew that life in the Lone Star was going to take some alarming turns in a direction I could no longer tolerate.

It's one thing to be a Red State, it's another to be a place that is actively hostile to people who do not kow-tow to an extremist point of view, and in the end I knew that life for my children would be especially more difficult if we stayed.

This is a textbook case (above) of getting out while we could.

---Benjamin Bratton

#264664 - 11/01/13 11:58 AM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I found it interesting that today's headlines for the Healthcare Exchanges were ginned up by Darryl Issa by focusing on how few sign-ups were completed on the first two days, but ignored that "about 40,000 applicants were idling in a virtual “waiting room.” " That was right in line with initial predictions. Obamacare Saw 248 Enrollments in First Two Days This is the kind of "spin" I am hoping to counteract by focusing on substance. At least the Bloomberg piece notes that
Quote:
The documents were circulated by Republican opponents of the health law who are seizing on the botched rollout even as a new poll shows more Americans than not want to expand Obamacare or keep it intact.
In addition,
Quote:
As of Oct. 25, Peters said, 700,000 people had submitted applications for insurance under the law. About half of those were through the federal online marketplace serving 36 states. The remaining 14 U.S. states built their own exchanges.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264666 - 11/01/13 12:23 PM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

More interesting information: Poll Debunks Media Claims: Most Americans Back Obamacare or Want It Expanded; Mend It, Don’t End It; The Morning Plum: Americans not ready to give up on Obamacare. Now, I know some will say these are all "liberal" sources, but the problem is, they are very specific with their facts. Substantively, it appears, more Americans, even after the rocky roll-out, still favor keeping or expanding Obamacare than oppose it. Kaiser Health Tracking Poll: October 2013

Could it be that they are looking beyond the hype and the spin and seeing the merits of the argument? Are they, perhaps, genuinely concerned about health care coverage? Those would be my speculations. And, I believe, they know a good thing when they see it.

#264668 - 11/01/13 12:58 PM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Some more, significant, information from reliable sources:

Eligibility for Assistance and Projected Changes in Coverage
Quote:
Summary
In this brief, we first examine how many of the uninsured in each state would be eligible for health coverage assistance programs—
Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and subsidized private coverage through the new health insurance
marketplaces—under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). The share of the uninsured that is eligible for assistance
programs is heavily dependent on a state’s decision whether to expand Medicaid eligibility. Among states not currently planning to
expand Medicaid eligibility, the share of the uninsured eligible for assistance ranges from 34 to 53 percent. In contrast, the share
of the uninsured eligible for assistance ranges from 59 to 81 percent among the states that are currently committed to expanding
Medicaid under the ACA.
Second, we estimate the decrease in the uninsured population under the ACA in each state. Among states not currently expanding
Medicaid, we predict the number of uninsured would decrease 28 to 38 percent. Eight states committed to expansion would see the
number of uninsured decline by more than half. Other states that have already expanded Medicaid eligibility, such as New York and
Vermont, would see smaller reductions in uninsured rates.
Third, we examine the share of those remaining uninsured under the ACA in each state who would be eligible for, but not enrolled
in, assistance programs. Among states not currently expanding Medicaid, that share would range from 24 to 43 percent of the
post-ACA uninsured. The share is projected to be much higher—46 to 77 percent—among states that are expanding Medicaid.
Fourth, we estimate the share who would qualify for assistance and the expected change in the uninsured in each state, with and
without the Medicaid expansion. In all states except Massachusetts, the uninsured are more likely to qualify for assistance if their
state expands Medicaid, leading to larger reductions in the uninsured.

#264695 - 11/02/13 03:07 AM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Time to start withholding federal funds from states which refuse to set up insurance exchanges.
Need highway funds? Go set up your exchange and we'll talk.
Need federally backed crop insurance? Go set up that exchange we asked you to set up.
Tornadoes stopped by for a visit? Get those exchanges up and running and we'll see what we can do.
What? You're suddenly upset that Uncle Sam is doing an audit of states that take more federal money than they contribute, and you're about to feel the pinch? Remember those exchanges we asked you to set up?

And on and on and on down the line. Time to tell these rogue fiefdoms that petty ideologically backed rebellion has consequences.

Time for them to learn that electing a firebrand who loves to flip the middle finger at Washington might result in Washington, and the rest of America, flipping it back.

---Benjamin Bratton

#264698 - 11/02/13 11:18 AM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California

We can call ACA what is really is: Insurance that Wingnuts don't want people they do not like to have

...and besides, as anyone knows, criminals and people who do things for a living that Republicans do not approve of are not supposed to get medical treatment. They are supposed to find Jeebus, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and clean up their lives - or they are supposed to die in a gutter like they deserve.

Liebruls can patiently counter that when icky people that Republicans don't like such as sex workers are able to get insurance they can afford, they’re less likely to show up in an Emergency Room where their unpaid bills will be added to other people’s insurance costs — and perhaps even less likely to pass on to Rush Limbaugh a social disease when he "vacations" in the Dominican Republic with his two best friends: Blue pill and Oxycotin.

#264712 - 11/02/13 08:35 PM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Some more, significant, information from reliable sources:

Media matters? The Nation? the Urban Institute? Well, reliable for providing a certain ideologically framed viewpoint, I guess. ;-)
Quote:
Today, federal government contracts provide about 55% of the Institute’s operating funds, foundations another 34%, and state and local governments and private individuals the rest.
...snip...
100% of the Urban Institute's employees' political donations between 2003 and 2010 went to Democratic candidates for political office.[8]
LINK

#264722 - 11/02/13 11:32 PM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: issodhos]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

LOL Oh, Thanks, Iss - I really appreciate how you zoom right in on the substance. Let me try a suggestion. Provide a link that addresses the substance of any of the information? (And this from someone who provides links to VMI as if it were a reality-based source...)

#264724 - 11/03/13 02:02 AM Re: Making ACA decisions based upon substance [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Iss, I'm still waiting for you to tell me WHICH parts of my post contradict my first statement in THIS thread.

And it would be great if you would also tell me which of my claims need links. I think you're attempting to build straw men out of some imagined exemption you think I enjoy, but maybe you'll prove me wrong and flesh out the substance a little.

Seems like an awful lot of that going around.
How did I land in such hot water? Is it because I am part of a collective?
Is that it, Iss?

I should probably burn my library card. They're a collective too, ya know? shocked

---Benjamin Bratton

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 15 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2