Current Topics
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by Phil Hoskins
15 minutes 17 seconds ago
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
Today at 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition’s 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
Today at 09:23 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by california rick
Today at 09:22 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
Today at 09:22 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by pondering_it_all
Today at 05:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
Today at 11:30 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
Today at 09:38 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
Yesterday at 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:12 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:12 PM
Ebola
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 09:16 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
10/19/14 08:13 PM
Utah National Guard busted for risque ‘Hot Shots’ calendar photo shoot
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 06:47 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14407 Topics
248173 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#264745 - 11/03/13 01:48 PM I Want to Be Friends With Republicans
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
David James Poissant
The New York Times
November 2, 2013

Quote:
... I realize now that my prejudices against conservatives were, in many ways, just as uncompromising as the prejudices I’d often projected onto them ...

More

#264746 - 11/03/13 02:13 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Golem]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Golem
David James Poissant
The New York Times
November 2, 2013

Quote:
... I realize now that my prejudices against conservatives were, in many ways, just as uncompromising as the prejudices I’d often projected onto them ...

More

Shirley you gest:

Politico - The ObamaCare sabatage campaign

, ,

#264747 - 11/03/13 02:23 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: california rick]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: california rick
Shirley you gest:

, ,

#264748 - 11/03/13 03:16 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Thx for sharing the link golem

It is excellent IMO and I highly recommend all to read it through
Ardy

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264750 - 11/03/13 03:55 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Ardy]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ardy
I highly recommend all to read it through
Ardy

And I did just that. smile

#264751 - 11/03/13 04:36 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Golem]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Golem
Originally Posted By: california rick
Shirley you gest:

, ,

No, not really. Typical. wink We see the validation over and over. No one is going to pee on my leg and try to convince me that it's only raining.

#264753 - 11/03/13 05:49 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Rick
Every bitter argument finds people on both sides who harbor self righteous grievances that are well supported by overwhelming and incontrovertible evidence.

And most often a neutral third party can look at the dispute and see that neither side it totally right... and that their disputes are manageable when they are separated from the entrenched emotions. And I think that it is almost always the case that a mutually agreeable resolution is a better result than obsessive struggling for total vindication.

IMO a key problem that our country faces is that we have lost the ability to engage with each other.... And instead allow ourselves to be manipulated by pundits and sensationalist media.

And of course this sort of polarization is exactly the preferred result of those with radical agendas who abhor compromise as a betrayal of ideology. This dynamic is easy to see in the middle east where the mere hint of viable peace talks results in both extremes engaging in provocation to derail the possibility of compromise.

Edited by Ardy (11/03/13 07:42 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264759 - 11/03/13 07:12 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

It always amazes me that those who decry the polarization and sectarian violence in the Middle East fail to recognize the same in their own community. I thought the original cite was quite perceptive. Thanks, Golem.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264762 - 11/03/13 07:58 PM Re: I Want to Be Friends With Republicans [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
The article went to something that I have tried to demonstrate by relating several personal "political" vignettes of events that occurred over the last several years. The most recent was about a county gross receipts tax issue that found the local self-identified TEA party split (warning: their definition of TEA party may not match yours), the self-identified Progressives in opposition to the tax (warning: their definition of progressive may not match yours), the official Republicans were silent (warning: their definition of Republican may not match yours), and the official Democrats were opposed (warning: their definition of Democrat may not match yours). The non-TEAish libertarians were split according to whether they would personally benefit from any of the proposed projects to be funded by the tax.

Point being, when a body of folks are faced with an actual issue, one that has not been prejudiced by the gauntlet of ideologies, then people will take positions based upon what they actually think about it, and not what they are supposed to think according to their Tribal Affiliation ("KIll the Reds!", "Kill the Blues!").

NWP is doing an admirable job in attempting to lead a discussion based on the facts of the ACA issue. If we all allowed this to happen, then we might be surprised at the natural alliances that would form and how outside of the standard ideologies they would lie. If we resist the discussion of the facts by insisting on viewing the issues through distorting ideological lenses, then we will have American Style Politics circa 2013.

I have seen that people I know often identify with a particular political party when the topic is ideology, but may stray very far from that ideology when identifying a position relative to a specific non-ideologically presented issue.

The trick to being friends with "The Enemy" is to drop the ideological armor.

Is there a covered treatment for ideologues in the ACA? Ophthalmological removal of timbers, perhaps?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2