by Scoutgal
09:16 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Scoutgal
09:12 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
08:13 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by logtroll
07:42 PM
Utah National Guard busted for risque ‘Hot Shots’ calendar photo shoot
by Scoutgal
06:47 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by Scoutgal
06:45 PM
In sharp turn, gay couples marry in Arizona
by california rick
06:09 PM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by Ardy
06:09 PM
'Terminator's James Cameron & Gale Anne Hurd: Hasta La Vista To "Fear-Based" Stu
by Golem
04:45 PM
Goliath Encounter: Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist in Rainforest
by Jeffery J. Haas
03:50 PM
Conservative dishonesty on Ebola
by california rick
11:09 PM
Round Table for the week of October 12-18, 2014!
by california rick
12:02 PM
LPS superintendent reacts to national attention directed at district's gender id
by NW Ponderer
12:33 AM
The Cure for Capitalism
by logtroll
10/17/14 02:57 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14403 Topics
248120 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#264844 - 11/06/13 01:40 PM Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell
Doug Thompson Offline

Honcho
old hand

Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains of Virgin...

Voters to tea party: ‘Go to hell. Go straight to hell’

Virginia governor-elect Terry McAuliffe (Photo by Doug Thompson)

Virginia governor-elect Terry McAuliffe (Photo by Doug Thompson)

On Tuesday across America, voters had a strong message for tea party extremists who have hijacked the once-proud and formidable Republican Party.

“Go to hell,” they told the tea party. “Go straight to hell.”

That message was delivered strongly in Alabama where in a GOP Congressional primary runoff, business-backed Republican moderate Bradley Byrne convincingly defeated tea party candidate Dean Young, a hardcore right-wing ideologue.

The same message came in Virginia where tea party firebrands Ken Cuccinelli narrowly lost his bid for governor against Democrat Terry McAuliffe and an even more right-wing preacher E.W. Jackson lost by a bigger margin to Democrat Ralph Northam in the lt. governor’s contest.

In both states, the tea party did everything it could to put its latest crop of right-wing extremists into office. They praised the government shutdown. They railed against Obamacare.

They lost.

In New Jersey, moderate and centrist Republican Chris Christie — hated by the tea party –won by the largest margin of all. Polls among Republicans show they think Christie — and not tea party right-wingers like Ted Cruz or Rand Paul — should be the party’s Presidential candidate in 2016.

In Alabama, the federal government shutdown was a big issue with Byrne saying it was “not good for the country” and Young it was “not the end of the world.”

The shutdown also played big in the Virginia governor’s election and Cuccinelli, whose extreme views were often driven by his compliance to tea party dogma, faced the wrath of anger over the shutdown in the Washington suburbs of Northern Virginia and the military-dependent Tidewater area where McAuliffe won by large margins.

Writes Julie Hirschfield Davis for Bloomberg:

In the closing days of his losing campaign for Virginia’s governorship, Republican Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli called the contest a referendum on Obamacare. Virginia voter Lee Killen saw it instead as a referendum on the Tea Party — and he voted no.

Killen, a Republican-turned-independent from Fairfax, cast his ballot for Terry McAuliffe less to endorse the Democrat than to lodge a protest against the small-government movement he said has hijacked his former party.

“I don’t particularly like McAuliffe, but I went with him basically because I disagree with the Tea Party approach to life — no compromise, no middle ground,” Killen, 70, a retired software engineer, said in an interview just after casting his vote yesterday. “Cuccinelli has been a Tea Party leader from the very beginning, and those values are not my values.”

“More and more rank and file Republicans have had it with tea party extremism,” GOP strategist Monica Lansing tells Capitol Hill Blue. “They want them to get the hell out of the party and stay out.”

In Facebook postings on Wednesday, many tea party partisans saw the handwriting on the wall and declared they were leaving the Republican Party.

“Good,” says long-time Republican activist John Stallings. “We need the party to get back to its real core values and away from the fanatics.”

#264848 - 11/06/13 05:55 PM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Doug Thompson]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Can't do anything but agree...I heard much the same thing, even from conservatives I know.
Ken Cuccinelli shocked a lot of them early on in his role as Attorney General.
He seems to have a very unhealthy obsession with private aspects of people's personal lives.

But you have to wonder Doug. Who are all the people who supported him in the election?
Quick! Virginians, look at the folks who live on either side of you!

If they have Ken signs in their yards, I am guessing that they fall into one of two main categories.
Type A is either blissfully or willfully ignorant of Ken's pet obsession with the hanky panky business and intimate affairs of others.
They either don't know, or they don't want to know.
And all they know is, he's Tea Party so he must be good people.

That's bad enough right there.

Type B actually SHARES Ken's desire to remake America into the Land of Leviticus.
They want biblical law, and they want lots of it, and they want it now.
Virginia AIN'T for lovers unless those lovers are hetero, married, never before divorced, strictly bumping uglies for procreation purposes and strictly in the missionary position.

That's worse. That's much worse.
Who ARE these people anyway?
They're your neighbors, and no one bothered to tell them that the private lives of other people is none of their damn business, so they decided it was time to hire an AG who would make all of that HIS business.

Have anything to do with proper government? Of course not. Not yet that is...but when Ken and his crowd are done we'll have a nice biblical government where you do jail time for the horizontal bop.

A little further South we used to hear of a guy named Andy of Mayberry.
Ole Andy would have told people to stick to their own knitting.

Some folks in the Old Dominion have way too much free time on their hands.

---Benjamin Bratton

#264855 - 11/06/13 08:33 PM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Doug Thompson]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
AG Cuccinelli is the type of Man we need running the government. We Need more men like the AG who will stop coddling the Takers and stop allowing Evil to thrive.

The government, obviously, cannot allow the flaunting of the Law that is indisputably the basis of all American law. The degradation of the county can be directly correlated to the destruction of American Law by a Rabid Liberal power grab the last 80+ years

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#264862 - 11/06/13 11:14 PM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Doug Thompson]
NW Ponderer Online   content
veteran

Hear, hear! There was a time in the not-very-distant past when I supported Republican candidates as often a Democratic ones (and independents as often as feasible). The rightward drift - and then swerve - of the party since the advent of Reagan and Gingrich has persuaded me that I can't risk endorsing any candidate with an "R" next to their name. It is my hope, sometime in my lifetime, that the GOP (or its successor) can once again be a legitimate alternative to the Democratic party. I am concerned that a Democratic party, unfettered by a legitimate opposition, could become an arrogant and controlling, unaccountable force.

But right now even that is preferable to the certifiably insane and incredibly corrupt entity that the GOP has become. Whatever became of the moderately conservative party of sensible shoes, cloth coats, and concern for the "little man" and best interests of the nation... or was Eisenhower just an aberration? (I've come to believe so...) Where are the principled elephants that passed the Civil Rights Acts in partnership with a Democratic administration? Who joined in the pursuit of "big ideas" like NASA, the Interstate Highway System, clean air and water? Can they ever return?

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264864 - 11/07/13 01:21 AM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: NW Ponderer]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Quote:
I am concerned that a Democratic party, unfettered by a legitimate opposition, could become an arrogant and controlling, unaccountable force.
ROTFMOL
Democrats? Really? That is rich.

#264869 - 11/07/13 09:38 AM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Doug Thompson]
Chuck Howard Offline
old hand

Loc: Philly 'burbs
Quote:
In New Jersey, moderate and centrist Republican Chris Christie...

Really? Christie? A "moderate"? A "centrist"? Chris Christie is not a moderate or centrist Republican. He is a right-wing Republican who just happens not to be bat-s*** crazy like the base of his party. So I guess that makes him a "moderate" or a "centrist" in the eyes of today's media.

#264874 - 11/07/13 11:38 AM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Doug Thompson]
NW Ponderer Online   content
veteran

Finding the "center" is difficult today, as there is such a huge gap between right and rational.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264899 - 11/07/13 06:43 PM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: Chuck Howard]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Chuck Howard
Quote:
In New Jersey, moderate and centrist Republican Chris Christie...

Really? Christie? A "moderate"? A "centrist"? Chris Christie is not a moderate or centrist Republican. He is a right-wing Republican who just happens not to be bat-s*** crazy like the base of his party. So I guess that makes him a "moderate" or a "centrist" in the eyes of today's media.

I have to politely disagree Chuck. The T-tards hate Christie with a passion. This can be verified by having a look at Greta V's blog.

#264910 - 11/07/13 08:27 PM Re: Voters to tea party: Go to hell. Go straight to hell [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2