Current Topics
Round Table For Week Of September 20th-September 28th, 2014
by california rick
10 minutes 39 seconds ago
High Schooler Gives Up Crown After Friend Was Pranked Into Thinking She Was Nomi
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Top 10 myths about the Constitution on Constitution Day
by jgw
Yesterday at 04:25 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 02:03 PM
The GOP’s ‘not a scientist’ meme keeps spreading
by logtroll
Yesterday at 01:45 PM
Reno Crowd Agrees: “Best Race I Ever Saw!” (w/video)
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
'Supernanny' Jo Frost -- I Can Help Adrian Peterson ... Contacts NFL Execs
by Ardy
09/20/14 07:12 PM
Defense of the GOP
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:14 PM
The Round Table For Week Of September 14th-September 20th, 2014
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 06:10 PM
Chocolate Milk Isn't Just For Kids: How The Drink Helps Your Workout, Brain, And
by Scoutgal
09/20/14 01:11 PM
P. J. O'Rourke: A Free Scotland Would Be a Hilarious Disaster
by NW Ponderer
09/19/14 12:44 PM
Historic 'Ghost Ships' Discovered Near Golden Gate Bridge
by california rick
09/18/14 09:51 PM
The Ten Commandments
by california rick
09/18/14 09:48 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by california rick
09/18/14 09:25 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/14 06:32 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14353 Topics
247673 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264846 - 11/06/13 04:52 PM Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Colleen Curry
ABC News
November 5, 2013

Quote:
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford will not step down from office even after admitting today that he smoked crack cocaine.

"To the residents of Toronto, I know I have let you down, and I can't do anything else but apologize. I know I have to regain your trust and your confidence. I love my job. I love my job, I love this city, I love saving taxpayers' money. I love being your mayor," an emotional Ford said.

"Voters have a choice. On October 27 of 2014 I want the people of this great city to decide whether they want rob ford to be their mayor," he said.

More

How Toronto's Totally Deranged Mayor Stayed in Office

Rob Ford accused of giving mother and daughter the finger

Wikipedia

#264853 - 11/06/13 07:25 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Well, you know he's probably not smoking crack right this minute! Can Canadians forgive their politicians anything once they "get right with Jesus", like most Americans do?

#264857 - 11/06/13 10:10 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: pondering_it_all]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Well, you know he's probably not smoking crack right this minute! Can Canadians forgive their politicians anything once they "get right with Jesus", like most Americans do?

What the HELL are you talking about?

#264861 - 11/06/13 10:34 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Rick, I don't understand what the HELL he's talking about.

#264863 - 11/06/13 11:32 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Just a guess, but I think he is making fun of the Republican penchant for re-electing candidates (e.g., Vitter, Sanford) simply because they assert an affinity for Jesus. Newt Gingrich is one of the most blatantly charlatanistic of the type (although his star faded). Oh, and the "he's not smoking crack now" was probably a reference to this.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264880 - 11/07/13 01:34 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
I have not followed this story at all

Never the less it does have the fascination that I guess we frequently have in seeing some car wreck as we pass on the other side of the freeway.

We are all so enthralled by the personal failures in the lives of others.... and particularly others with prominent public persona's.

Perhaps the people of Toronto feel that on balance their mayor is doing a good job.... maybe better than previous mayors who led seemingly unreproachable lives.

But somehow it is always so jarring when a public servant is seen to do something so stupidly wrong.... Elliot SPitzer, Anthony Weiner, Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson Jr. ... the list seems improbably endless.... and would likely be even more shocking if we knew all the secrets.

The uncomfortable reality is that many exceptionally talented people are haunted by private demons. Perhaps their disproportionate talent also makes their personal life harder to handle. Or maybe most people have their own collection of skeletons in the closet.... skeletons that mostly remain hidden because our lives are not so very interesting to others.

Edited by Ardy (11/07/13 01:37 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#264892 - 11/07/13 04:10 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
The mayor of Toronto is pissing all over my eighteen years of sobriety.

Don't get me wrong...
To be clear, I am not having a "jones" to pick up a crack pipe, not in the least.
And no, I am not mad at Mayor Rob Ford.
I'm not jealous either.

I'm confused.

How does this work? When I was "in my cups" I threw away countless opportunities and chances. We're talking the opportunities of a lifetime.
People I treasured dearly disappeared in droves...they RAN as fast as they could in the opposite direction.
And I don't blame them! I would have done much the same thing, out of self-preservation.

And what I didn't throw away, I lost. The flying fickle finger of fate reached down and erased an entire business, a marriage (actually that was probably a favor LOL) and several very dear pieces of work which I'll never get back.

So I am confused...if you f**k up on this grand a scale, how is it possible to keep everything running so smoothly? Toronto's not on fire, it's not crumbling into the ocean, it doesn't have marauding gangs roaming the streets or massive unemployment. It is actually a pretty decent place to live.

But Rob Ford's not only a relatively unrepentant crackhead, he's even doubling down, saying he will run for office again.

Is this because the people of Toronto are all (A) fellow crackheads or (B) really really stupid?

I'm waiting for the flameout, not because I'll take particular joy in it, but because I figure it's supposed to work a lot like physics, if you drag your feet across the dry carpet long enough on a cold winter day, eventually you touch something metal and get a terrific electric shock.
Rob Ford has added a particularly volatile ingredient to the mix and now he's shuffling across the carpet like nobody's business.

Does the giant "Z-z-z-z-ZAP!!! + KABOOOM!!" happen AFTER he starts his reelection campaign?

---Benjamin Bratton

#264917 - 11/08/13 07:13 AM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

He can resign, move to the U.S., get naturalized and run for mayor of D.C. where similar behaviors are part of the job description.

#265189 - 11/13/13 01:30 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Toronto mayor admits he bought illegal drugs; council urges him to step aside

Quote:
Toronto's embattled mayor, Rob Ford, professed a zero-tolerance policy for drugs and gangs on Wednesday, but he also admitted he has bought illegal drugs in the past two years.

Speaking after Toronto City Council almost unanimously urged Ford to take a break from his duties, Ford said he could not change the past and would continue his efforts as mayor to save Toronto money.

More

#265191 - 11/13/13 01:55 PM Re: Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Won't Step Down After Admitting Smoking Crack [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Just amazing that so many politicians seem to feel entitled to their position. That it is all about them

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2