Current Topics
Data shows majority does not rule in the US it is the rich and special interests
by Ardy
Today at 02:40 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
Yesterday at 03:32 PM
Was Robert E. Lee a patriot or a traitor?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 03:25 PM
Two for Easter
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:00 PM
Round Table For April 20th-April 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 01:13 PM
Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher
by california rick
Yesterday at 11:37 AM
Animals with Human Rights Make Researchers Run Scared
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:30 PM
The New American Center: Why our nation isn't as divided as we think
by Ardy
04/19/14 07:13 PM
Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism
by california rick
04/19/14 06:14 PM
Bullying has negative impacts that last decades after childhood
by logtroll
04/19/14 10:02 AM
Fargo (TV series)
by Phil Hoskins
04/18/14 11:01 PM
Round Table For Week Of April 13th-April 19th, 2014
by Scoutgal
04/18/14 07:29 PM
Chick-fil-A Looks to Lower the Heat on Gay Marriage
by Spag-hetti
04/18/14 09:09 AM
Ukraine
by Ardy
04/18/14 01:57 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14007 Topics
243719 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#264915 - 11/08/13 06:11 AM Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises
Doug Thompson Offline

Honcho
old hand

Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains of Virgin...

Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises

Veteran in Washington during debate on repealing ban on gays in military service.

Veteran in Washington during debate on repealing ban on gays in military service.

The Senate Thursday accomplished something that rarely happens in Washington nowadays — it passed bipartisan legislation to help end discrimination against gays and trans-gender Americans in the workplace.

Amazingly, 10 Republicans joined Senate Democrats to pass the bill.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the bill now heads for the House of Representatives where homophobes and bigots rule and head gay basher John Boehner, Speaker of the House, claims he won’t even bring the legislation up to a vote.

Such is life in America’s flawed — and failed — system of government. In a week when voters told the rabid right-wing of the GOP and the tea party that controls it to, effectively, “go to hell,” the bigotry and regressive leadership of the House of Representatives reasserts itself to stop progressive moves to better the society we live in.

The Employment Non-Discrimination Act, better known as the ENDA, is a simple piece of legislation that tells employers of 15 or more workers that they cannot use sexual orientation or gender identity as a basis for firing employees or denying them raises or other considerations.

Here at Capitol Hill Blue, some of our writers and editors are gay. Their sexual orientation is not an issue for being here. Never has been. Never will.

Religious groups and the military are exempted from the bill. The Pentagon is barred from banning gays from military service already from Congressional action three years ago, which leaves religion and churches free to continue to pound the Bible and claim homosexuality is a sin.

That’s not enough, however, for the bigots who control the Republican party that also controls the House of Representatives. They claim the ENDA is “anti-family” and would leave to “frivolous lawsuits” against businesses that continue to follow GOP-endorsed homophobia.

Boehner needs to sober up and realize it is his job to serve the people and not the homomphobes and bigots of the Republican Party. He did so earlier this year when he allowed a vote on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act, even though House Republicans opposed it because of new protections for gays and lesbians.

If the House doesn’t act, gay activist groups want President Barack Obama to to sign an executive order forcing compliance with the ENDA on federal agencies and employers with federal contracts — an action that would affect about 20 percent of the nation’s workforce.

“We call on President Obama to send a clear message in support of workplace fairness by signing this executive order,” says Chad Griffen, President of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy group.

Signing such an order, however, would require Obama to do something he seldom does — actually keep a promise he made while running for President back in 2008. He claimed to support such an executive order as a candidate but has failed to actually sign one as President. It’s not the first campaign promise he broke and probably won’t be the last.

“It is imperative for President Obama to lead by example,” say a statement by the gay rights group GetEQUAL.

Lead by example. That’s a tall order in Washington and something we seldom see from the President or Congress.’

We saw a hint of it from the Senate this week.

It would be sad if that brief moment of sanity dies from a lack of action in either the House or Representatives or the White House.

___

Copyright © 2013 Capitol Hill Blue

#264938 - 11/08/13 10:48 PM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: Doug Thompson]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Thank you Doug.

#264941 - 11/08/13 11:30 PM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: Doug Thompson]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I completely agree, Doug. And, sadly, I believe that this initiative from the Senate is likely to die in the House from neglect. I am slightly more optimistic that President Obama may sign such an Executive Order as has been proposed. I will make a faint defense of the current inaction, but it will not be a lasting one if the situation is allowed to fester:

I believe that Obama has a consistent approach to these issues. I believe he truly believes that this is the kind of action that it is the Congress' responsibility to address, and if it is done by Executive Order, it lets them off the hook for inaction (such as with DoMA and Don't Ask) - and that it will create a rallying issue for the right-wing base. If, however, the House does prevent this measure from being considered, I think he will be on solid ground to "do something" about it. Harry Reid has given him a gift, with a truly bipartisan measure that is easy to support. He can use that as a tool to take a stand, make a point, and even (bonus) emphasize the obstructionism of the Republican House.

John Boehner, too, has an opportunity for leadership. He can allow this "matter of conscience" to be given an up-or-down vote in his chamber, reassert some measure of control over his party's caucus, and create a measure that has broad public support to demonstrate the ability of his chamber to be functional. (John Roberts would take such an action in his branch, although he would do it by including a poison pill in his acquiescence). It would also allow him to use this show of reasonableness to strengthen his stand on other issues "of principle" for his party (although I don't for a second believe there is really any principle involved). I do not think, however, that he is astute enough to grasp that, nor do I think he has the gumption.

Sadly, I don't think either Boehner or Obama will seize the opportunity. I do so fervently hope that I am wrong.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264946 - 11/09/13 05:12 AM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: Doug Thompson]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California

The fact that House Leader Boehner won't even allow a vote on this Bill tells us that Mr. Boehner is worthless as a government elected official - and is simply collecting a government paycheck - and worthless as a human being in general.

#264948 - 11/09/13 06:37 AM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
The word "worthless" is commonly misused in such instances, for it means "of no worth". And yet Boehner, who is actually causing damage by his refusal to do his job, will be creating a negative value. Hence we must conclude that Mr. Speaker is worse than worthless, or less than worthless.

He does have a wonderful, and increasing, record of incompetence, however.

#264949 - 11/09/13 07:02 AM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: Doug Thompson]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Well reasoned, and truly grammatical and logical, logtroll!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#264951 - 11/09/13 08:46 AM Re: Washington: Homophobes, bigots and broken promises [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I dint knew wot comover meself. Hmm

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 15 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2