by logtroll
07:54 PM
It's no longer safe to recline your airplane seat
by logtroll
07:51 PM
Inside Job
by pondering_it_all
07:44 PM
Just HALF of women can locate the vagina on a diagram of the female reproductive
by logtroll
07:38 PM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by pondering_it_all
07:35 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by pondering_it_all
07:30 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
07:07 PM
Giant Millipedes Intercepted at San Francisco International Airport
by Scoutgal
07:00 PM
Round Table For Week Of August 31st-September 6th, 2014
by Scoutgal
06:59 PM
Cop cam: Ferguson police to wear body cameras
by Scoutgal
02:11 PM
NFL Player Got Tattoo On His Face To Keep Himself From Ever Getting A Normal Job
by Scoutgal
02:01 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
01:26 PM
My Muslim religion has problems that need fixing
by Jeffery J. Haas
04:15 AM
History's 'Houdini': What the Critics Are Saying
by Golem
02:55 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14307 Topics
247220 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#265265 - 11/14/13 07:44 PM Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Joe Posnanski
NBC Sports
November 13, 2013

Quote:
...We are coming on 25 years of Pete Rose's banishment...

Pete Rose played baseball with an intensity and love that might be unmatched in the game's history. He cracked more hits and reached base more times than anyone ever. He represented a way to play baseball that inspired millions of people. Then, he gambled on games, breaking one of baseball's most cherished rules. Rose is 72 years old now, and I think it's time to let him back into the game. I don't think anyone should ask him to apologize again or come any cleaner than he has. I don't think anyone should expect Pete Rose to be something that he is not. It has been almost 25 years. He has paid his debt.

More

Career statistics

Wikipedia

I think he's a jerk but I'm OK with him getting admitted to the HOF.
Should Pete Rose be admitted to the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 11/14/13 07:44 PM
View the results of this poll.

#265271 - 11/14/13 09:09 PM Re: Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
Nothing to say except AGREED. ThumbsUp

---Benjamin Bratton

#265279 - 11/15/13 07:20 AM Re: Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

It aamzes me sometimes what sins are "forgivable" and which are not. I agree too. If his betting had affected the games, I'd feel differently (Black Sox). In an era when reprobate politicians are reelected, and where dog maulers get second chances to play the game, and where drug use is rampant, and where aggression - even toward teammates - is excused by many, Mr. Rose's treatment seems quaint and anachronistic. The sins of our fathers are not greater than our own.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#265300 - 11/15/13 11:03 AM Re: Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game [Re: Golem]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

Rose should have been in the Baseball Hall of Fame a decade ago.

#265314 - 11/15/13 09:04 PM Re: Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game [Re: Joe Keegan]
loganrbt Offline
old hand

Loc: Massaphuggintwoshirts
Originally Posted By: Joe Keegan
Rose should have been in the Baseball Hall of Fame a decade ago.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Pete Rose absolutely does NOT belong in the same group with Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. He doesn't drink enough, doesn't appear to be sufficiently qualified as a womanizer, and didn't gamble enough away from baseball to fit in.

#265317 - 11/15/13 09:35 PM Re: Pete Rose has paid his debt. Let him back into the game [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
I cannot say I like rose
But his talent is unquestioned
His accomplishments not tainted by drugs
And his sins mostly victimless

Those who presume to judge him have likely been complicit in allowing pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs which has made it nearly impossible to View the accomplishments of those who have been admitted.

All of which greatly debases the hall of fAme itself
at this point I simply don't give A damn about the HOF

So sure. Let Pete in the Hall And add an honorary wax status of Elvis too. The game lives on, but the romance has left the building.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2