Current Topics
Booze calculator: What's your drinking nationality?
by Golem
Today at 09:40 PM
Gunz, agin
by logtroll
Today at 07:57 PM
Normalizing Cu ban Relations
by logtroll
Today at 07:22 PM
Prosecutor in Ferguson grand jury says he knew some witnesses were lying
by pdx rick
Today at 12:02 PM
Defense of the GOP
by pdx rick
Today at 11:45 AM
the sins of sony and security
by jgw
Yesterday at 08:51 PM
Round Table For The Month Of December, 2014
by Phil Hoskins
Yesterday at 12:00 PM
Current case study: Oil and the Free Market
by NW Ponderer
12/18/14 04:03 PM
Just a random thought that keeps circulating in my brain:
by NW Ponderer
12/17/14 10:42 AM
Graphic report on CIA interrogations, torture released by Senate panel
by Phil Hoskins
12/16/14 09:30 PM
Philip K. Dick would have been 86 today: Some thoughts on hi
by pondering_it_all
12/16/14 08:17 PM
Five GOP immigration myths
by pondering_it_all
12/15/14 03:12 PM
'Annie': Film Review
by pdx rick
12/15/14 12:19 AM
10 most dangerous jobs
by logtroll
12/14/14 02:36 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
12/14/14 01:23 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14503 Topics
249009 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#265672 - 11/24/13 07:33 PM Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children'
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Jamie Weinstein
The Daily Caller
November 23, 2013

Quote:
Libertarian radio host Larry Elder has a message for the GOP: If the party has any hope of attracting a significant percentage of the black vote, it must speak to that community honestly - and as adults.

"Stop talking to blacks like they are children to whom the truth cannot be told," Elder told The Daily Caller in an interview about his new book, "Dear Father, Dear Son: Two Lives ... Eight Hours."

"Racism is no longer a major issue in this country. Racism is no longer a major issue in this country. Racism is no longer a major issue in this country," he wrote in an email. "That Democrats have convinced blacks otherwise, is an affront."

More

#265674 - 11/24/13 07:49 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon

Daily Caller?!? Shirley, you jest. coffee

#265676 - 11/24/13 07:56 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: pdx rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: california rick

Shirely, you jest. coffee

Does Golem have roots in the Hobbit community? dunce

#265682 - 11/24/13 08:38 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: california rick

Shirley, you jest. coffee

Does Golem have roots in the Hobbit community? dunce

...or at least a love-on for Tucker Carlson. Maybe it's the bow-tie. wink

#265683 - 11/24/13 09:08 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: pdx rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Awww, you fixed it. Ruined my leetle wordplay. Shire - Hobbits, shoot. blush

#265685 - 11/24/13 09:27 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Guys, I love reading science fiction/fantasy/horror (grouped collectively by some under the term speculative fiction, which I don't like).

However, I never got into LOTR (and I don't mean Lord Of The Flies), so the reference went over my head.

#265686 - 11/24/13 09:28 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

And Tucker Carlson is not one of my heroes.

#265712 - 11/25/13 05:03 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
i didn't read the article but did read the quotation and that had 2 significant ideas

"If the party has any hope of attracting a significant percentage of the black vote" ... Limbaugh has already rejected this and the hispanic capture ideas as dead. His thesis is there was not a significant number who voted so it wouldn't have made a difference. What would have made a difference is whether more white conservatives showed up (and he believes they number most of America)

"Racism is no longer a major issue in this country" ... apparently his head is in the sand or up his ... this still is a significant issue

one has to look at the issues from both sides

#265721 - 11/25/13 07:35 PM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Even conservative business-owning Republican Black Americans can see racism at work in how many White people feel, talk, and write about President Obama. They may not agree with Obama's policies, but this is not about policy differences: It is about a direct personal attack on the President as incompetent and unfit for office, simply for his race. (And please don't bother replying with anecdotes about logical reasons why this is not racism: I'm talking about how these attacks make Black Americans feel.)

Then there are all the selective law enforcement episodes, vast sentencing differences, pundits promoting the idea that Black people should be discouraged from voting, all-White juries operating with the prejudices they grew up with, etc.

No matter how "all-embracing" the GOP strategists try to push their party, they still have 100% of the KKK members, the White Supremacists, the militias, the Ditto-Heads, the Tea Party folks, etc. in their tent. When they actually denounce and eject some of the worst racists from their party, then they might begin to have a little credibility on this issue. Until then, any Black American who honestly believes racism is dead is delusional.

Example so absurd it reminds me of Lenny Bruce's jokes about the holocaust:
Black man arrested 62 times for 'trespassing' at his workplace

#265730 - 11/26/13 11:47 AM Re: Larry Elder to the GOP: 'Stop talking to blacks like they are children' [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Mr elder seems to me to be a proponent or perhaps a victim of ideological carcinoma. He starts out with a truth that is challenging: the reality that the greater black community is beset by problems far beyond racial prejudice. I suppose one could argue that these problems have their roots in I historical prejudice. But however unfair the root, the solution cannot be divorced from the individual and collective efforts of the afflicted group.

But that core insight is attached to a huge load of ideological balderdash that is unsupported, unrelated, fantastical, and just plain weird

Ie his suggestion that the black community needs to understand that raising taxes on the rich inherently makes us all poorer.
IMO
It is a fact that the elimination of racial prejudice will not solve most problems that black Americans face. Otoh this truth does not absolve our nation from acknowledging the historic roots of the problem. Nor should we comfort our conscience with the pretense that racism and it's corrosive impacts have evaporated.

The election of Barack Obama offers a measure of hope in our progress in the struggle against racism. It has also uncovered and fanned otherwise hidden embers to full flame

Republicans will never win the black community while they continue to deny the palpably obvious reality of ongoing racism or their efforts to treat the roots of racism as an irrelevant historical artifAct.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2