Current Topics
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by Phil Hoskins
10 minutes 47 seconds ago
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
Today at 09:38 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
Yesterday at 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:12 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:12 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Golem
Yesterday at 01:41 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 09:28 AM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition’s 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Phil Hoskins
10/19/14 10:37 PM
Ebola
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 09:16 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
10/19/14 08:13 PM
Utah National Guard busted for risque ‘Hot Shots’ calendar photo shoot
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 06:47 PM
In sharp turn, gay couples marry in Arizona
by california rick
10/19/14 06:09 PM
'Terminator's James Cameron & Gale Anne Hurd: Hasta La Vista To "Fear-Based" Stu
by Golem
10/19/14 04:45 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14405 Topics
248149 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#266328 - 12/11/13 12:01 PM The New Budget Deal
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I cannot provide the link right now, but I wanted to start a thread to discuss the Murray-Ryan budger deal. Will it pass? Should it pass? Who wins? Who loses?

I am personally of two minds: on the one hand, having the issue off the table for two years will provide needed stability and allow the focus to shift to real-world priorities. On the other, it solves none of the underlying issues, and "bakes in" too much of the sequester mentality, and bad fiscal trade-offs.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#266334 - 12/11/13 12:58 PM Re: The New Budget Deal [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Yeah, it has some problems. But better than the alternative of ongoing threats of gov shut down and default.

It is the best we can do at this time. And overall I am sort of amazed that any deal was possible. Maybe only because boehner let Ryan take the lead. And Ryan realized that any hope he has for higher office rests on showing some ability to do something

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#266344 - 12/11/13 05:18 PM Re: The New Budget Deal [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I haven't read the proposal but have paid a little attention to the response from Republicans

the folks who saw sequester as a better option than finding a budget deal are in charge ... don;t expect [you can finish this comment]

#266346 - 12/11/13 05:45 PM Re: The New Budget Deal [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

I have not been able to relocate the link that had a four-page summary of the major provisions. Has anyone else seen/read that? A link would be helpful, if anyone can supply it.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#266378 - 12/12/13 12:18 PM Re: The New Budget Deal [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I have not been able to relocate the link that had a four-page summary of the major provisions. Has anyone else seen/read that? A link would be helpful, if anyone can supply it.

here you go

washington post link

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#266385 - 12/12/13 03:12 PM Re: The New Budget Deal [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
After 5 years of the righteous right stopping ANYTHING the Obama administration might want, or agree to, the worm seems to be turning. I suspect this thing will pass as its the first artifact of of even vague reason. There is also some indication that even those that elected the crazies are getting slightly anxious (last I heard maybe 14% of their seats may be in danger). So, the politicals that brought us the "stealth candidate" are, I think, starting to work their magic before the 2014 elections. Given the short memory span of the American electorate, this brief evidence of 'reasonable', on the part of the righteous right, just might be enough to get them all re-elected.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2