by california rick
04/14/14 12:49 PM
Two that might work
by logtroll
04/14/14 09:41 AM
Science fiction needs to reflect that the future is queer
by Scoutgal
04/13/14 07:29 PM
The Real History of Science Fiction | BBC America (TV docuseries)
by Scoutgal
04/13/14 05:35 PM
Why the U.S. Should Merge With Canada
by Scoutgal
04/13/14 04:52 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
13997 Topics
243584 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#267005 - 12/28/13 03:07 PM Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:
'What you're seeing is how a civilization commits suicide," says Camille Paglia. This self-described "notorious Amazon feminist" isn't telling anyone to Lean In or asking Why Women Still Can't Have It All. No, her indictment may be as surprising as it is wide-ranging: The military is out of fashion, Americans undervalue manual labor, schools neuter male students, opinion makers deny the biological differences between men and women, and sexiness is dead. And that's just 20 minutes of our three-hour conversation.

When Ms. Paglia, now 66, burst onto the national stage in 1990 with the publishing of "Sexual Personae," she immediately established herself as a feminist who was the scourge of the movement's establishment, a heretic to its orthodoxy. Pick up the 700-page tome, subtitled "Art and Decadence From Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson, " and it's easy to see why. "If civilization had been left in female hands," she wrote, "we would still be living in grass huts."
LINK

Day late and a dollar short for Western Civilization, Camille, but I still like ya, Sweetie. :-)

#267013 - 12/28/13 04:48 PM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: issodhos]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California

Camille is not the gay thought leader she thinks she is simply because she came out decades ago.

Quote:
I speak with authority here, because I was openly gay before the ‘Stonewall rebellion,’ when it cost you something to be so. And I personally feel as a libertarian that people have the right to free thought and free speech,” Paglia, a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia, said on Laura Ingraham’s radio show Thursday.

Well shut my purdy little gay mouth! Just because Camille spoke some Stonewall libertarian arglebargle - she ain't all that.

You’d think someone who ascended to the rank of full Professor at a bona fide university would have at least the vaguest knowledge of how free speech works and the First Amendment and such, but hoo boy you are wrong! There is no god-given right to consequence-free speech. You can say whatever dumbässery racist homophobic bullshït you want. The government can't stop you, but your private company can! Sorry to get all up in your grill womyn feminists, but this Camille chick works my last nerve.

#267026 - 12/28/13 11:46 PM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: california rick]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: california rick

Camille is not the gay thought leader

The topic is not about talking ducks vs anti-ducks, rick, but about the negative side of the modern feminist movement and its impact on men and threat to Western Civilization. I must admit that I do not understand why she thinks there is still a Western Civilization to be "threatened", since, in my opinion, it was undermined long ago by its enemies and is, at best, a moribund remnant of itself. Other than that, I think she is pretty well spot-on with regard to the established 'sisterhood'. :-)
Yours,
Issodhos

#267028 - 12/29/13 01:29 AM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: issodhos]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Originally Posted By: issodhos

The topic is not about talking ducks vs anti-ducks, rick, but about the negative side of the modern feminist movement and its impact on men and threat to Western Civilization.

I think she is pretty well spot-on with regard to the established 'sisterhood'. :-)
Yours,
Issodhos

At least now we know what the thread is about

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#267029 - 12/29/13 01:47 AM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: issodhos]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The topic is not about talking ducks vs anti-ducks, rick

Sorry Issy, my strong bias to the messenger, doesn't allow the precept to filter through. Hmm

#267030 - 12/29/13 01:50 AM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ardy

The topic is not about talking ducks vs anti-ducks, rick, but about the negative side of the modern feminist movement and its impact on men and threat to Western Civilization.

I think she is pretty well spot-on with regard to the established 'sisterhood'. :-)

At least now we know what the thread is about

My wonderment stopped immediately after scanning two words: Camille Paglia gobsmacked

#267043 - 12/29/13 11:42 AM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: issodhos]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA

I must admit that I do not understand why she thinks there is still a Western Civilization to be "threatened", since, in my opinion, it was undermined long ago by its enemies and is, at best, a moribund remnant of itself.
Yours,
Issodhos

I suppose that the meaning of your comment would dependent upon a precise definition of what is, or what you consider to be "western Civilization"

Wiki strats out as follows.... presumably you will agree or correct wiki

Quote:
Western civilization traces its roots back to European and Mediterranean classical antiquity. It is associated with nations linked to the former Western Roman Empire and with Medieval Western Christendom who emerged from feudalism to experience such transformative historical episodes as the Renaissance, the Reformation, the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution and the development of liberal democracy. Western Civilization has spread to produce the dominant cultures of modern North America, Latin America, and Oceania, and has had immense global influence in recent centuries

Other than that, there has to be some irony in a thread that presents a feminist attack on feminism, combined with a lesbian defense of masculine virtues.

Edited by Ardy (12/29/13 11:52 AM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#267044 - 12/29/13 11:59 AM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Other than that, there has to be some irony in a thread that presents a feminist attack on feminism, combined with a lesbian defense of masculine virtues.

A butch lesbian espousing masculine virtues? Color anyone surprised. coffee

#267057 - 12/29/13 05:14 PM Re: Camille Paglia: A Feminist Defense of Masculine Virtues [Re: Ardy]
issodhos Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think she is attacking the one and defending other from a feminist viewpoint, Ardy, not a lesbian viewpoint -- though she is probably fully qualified to do so if she so chose.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2