Current Topics
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by california rick
Today at 08:02 PM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
Today at 04:42 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by california rick
Today at 04:37 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Today at 12:53 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibitionís 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 09:23 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 05:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
Yesterday at 11:30 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 09:38 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
10/20/14 11:32 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
10/20/14 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
10/20/14 04:12 PM
Ebola
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 09:16 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
10/19/14 08:13 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14408 Topics
248188 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267922 - 01/24/14 01:10 PM The Great Mom & Dad Experiment
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
from the chronicle of higher education

Apparently there has been a lot of effort put into trying to help families stay together and do a better job raising their children. If this article is correct, that effort is mostly a well intentioned bust

not only that, the same may be true of the head start program.

Quote:
The Great Mom & Dad Experiment

Johnson, an associate professor of psychology at Binghamton University and director of its Marriage and Family Studies Laboratory, examines why marriages fall apart and what can be done to keep people together. This is the stuff he cares about. And he started out believing that these programs were worthwhile. "I thought this would work," he says. "I wanted to apply these interventions to these populations." It made sense to him, and he eagerly awaited the results.

Now, as he sees it, the numbers are in, and they're terrible. Attempts to spin the data as anything other than a train wreck strike him as "optimistic or quixotic." "My bias is science and data," Johnson says. "I look at these data and say, 'They're not working.'"

- See more at: http://m.chronicle.com/article/The-Great-Mom-Dad-Experiment/144027/#sthash.Pjsxt3IA.dpuf

I have to say that this article seems sensible to me, It does not seem like the result of an ideological screed.

If all this is true, I have to wonder if the conservative position on these issues needs a 2nd look. I personally am all for a government program that actually accomplishes something. But what is actually being accomplished?

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#267924 - 01/24/14 02:07 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: Ardy]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
I think the best idea was in the comments: Spend that $11,000/couple to get those folks G.E.D.s and a junior college AA or trade school program. They already know how to make a baby. Anything they don't know about taking care of one can be covered by some videos or a website. What they really need is a way to not be poor.

And some child care and birth control, while they are learning that, would also be useful.

#267926 - 01/24/14 04:26 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: pondering_it_all]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
One of the biggest reasons that marriages fall apart is money, and lack of communication. When my husband and I talked about getting married, we talked about what our priorities were in a marriage. Did we both want children? If so, how many? How would we discipline them? Education(either college prep or vocational) was a must. And we would discuss every big ticket purchase and make the decision together. How would we divide up household chores? Did I want to stay home with our children or work? All of these we talked about BEFORE getting engaged. We will be married 33 years next month.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#267929 - 01/24/14 06:37 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Just getting them in the door is a challenge, which is why recruiters are dispatched to hospitals and food-stamp offices, promising parents rewards for showing up. Couples who attend all classes receive cash, up to $200, along with points that can be redeemed for baby-related items like diapers, toys, books, strollers.

Uh...oh. This is a problem. If conservatives find out, they'll be screaming about liberals taking "free" stuff.

Any way to hide this from Fox News' prying eyes? Hmm

#267930 - 01/24/14 06:49 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
One of the biggest reasons that marriages fall apart is money, and lack of communication. When my husband and I talked about getting married, we talked about what our priorities were in a marriage. Did we both want children? If so, how many? How would we discipline them? Education(either college prep or vocational) was a must. And we would discuss every big ticket purchase and make the decision together. How would we divide up household chores? Did I want to stay home with our children or work? All of these we talked about BEFORE getting engaged. We will be married 33 years next month.

Quote:
...couples don't get divorced because they're less adept at communication than couples with healthy 401(k)s and three-car garages. Poor people get divorced because they're poor, and being poor makes you stressed, and being stressed makes it harder for you to communicate, which makes it more likely that you'll split.

#267946 - 01/25/14 05:09 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: california rick
Originally Posted By: Scoutgal

Quote:
...couples don't get divorced because they're less adept at communication than couples with healthy 401(k)s and three-car garages. Poor people get divorced because they're poor, and being poor makes you stressed, and being stressed makes it harder for you to communicate, which makes it more likely that you'll split.

There are lots of poor couples who stay together. I know several. A failure to communicate means that the couple are different pages, and then how money is spent can become a big issue. Both partners need to communicate as to how they will make a budget and spend money. Mr. Scoutgal and I did not make a great deal of money when we were first married. We talked(communicated) about how we would spend our money, save money, and planned for retirement.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#267948 - 01/25/14 05:19 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: Ardy]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The scientific evidence shows that it stress which causes a breakdown in communication.

#267949 - 01/25/14 05:46 PM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: california rick]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: california rick

The scientific evidence shows that it stress which causes a breakdown in communication.
Can we conclude, therefore, that communication causes a breakdown in stress?

#267962 - 01/26/14 07:52 AM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Can we conclude, therefore, that communication causes a breakdown in stress?

Only if you can communicate while moving backwards in time.

For us mere humans, communication sometimes increases stress to the point of heart failure or gunshot fatality. I once communicated so intensely with a neighbor's visitor, (who was honking her horn right outside our bedroom window at 2 AM), that I suffered distorted vision for a couple of months from retinal blisters!

#267963 - 01/26/14 09:05 AM Re: The Great Mom & Dad Experiment [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
... I suffered distorted vision for a couple of months from retinal blisters!

Sounds like you may be a candidate for a stink-eye modulation implant - ask your doctor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
2 registered (Golem, 1 invisible), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2