Current Topics
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by california rick
Yesterday at 08:02 PM
Hong Kong chief: "Democracy would see poorer people dominate Hong Kong vote"
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:42 PM
Greta is pushing the 'Obama hates Fox News meme' in Tahmooresi case...
by california rick
Yesterday at 04:37 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 12:53 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:24 PM
Law Enforcement Against Prohibitionís 10 Reasons to ... War on Drugs
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:23 PM
Clyburn challenger: Gay couples are 'gremlins' (Anthony Culler)
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 09:22 PM
Why Conservatives are Always wrong
by pondering_it_all
10/21/14 05:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
10/21/14 11:30 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
10/21/14 09:38 AM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by NW Ponderer
10/20/14 11:32 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Spag-hetti
10/20/14 07:46 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by california rick
10/20/14 04:12 PM
Ebola
by Scoutgal
10/19/14 09:16 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
10/19/14 08:13 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14408 Topics
248188 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#268093 - 02/02/14 08:40 PM Super Bowl
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
UFB

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#268104 - 02/03/14 02:33 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Starting with a pronounced bias: I am a Seahawks fan. But, I was impressed that Seattle so throughly dismantled the Broncos. I am sure, and sorry, that Peyton Manning will take the lions' share of the blame. He is one of the best quarterbacks the game has ever seen, but Peyton Manning wasn't really in the game all that much. Indeed, after the first Seattle drive (discounting the opening Safety, which was a fluke), which ended in a field goal, I thought Denver was going to be a threat. I was afraid Russell Wilson wasn't going to step up - but he did, in a big way.

It was a game of consummate execution, just not by the team everyone expected it to be. Seattle is known for scrambling and grit, not finesse, yet that is what they delivered. Manning was pressured throughout, the play (despite the Refs' bias) was clean, coverage was excellent. Everyone did what they were supposed to do. Yes, from a competition standpoint, it was a disappointment, but from a football enthusiast standpoint, it was really quite impressive.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#268111 - 02/03/14 03:49 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: NW Ponderer]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
...I was impressed that Seattle so throughly dismantled the Broncos...

The Bronco's forgot to show-up. The games two weeks ago were the "real" games. wink

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
...Seattle is known for scrambling and grit, not finesse, yet that is what they delivered. Manning was pressured throughout, the play (despite the Refs' bias) was clean, coverage was excellent. Everyone did what they were supposed to do.

The custodian at work today asked if I saw the "three hour scrimmage game" yesterday. LOL

#268186 - 02/06/14 07:52 AM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

Manning was just so Brady like.

#268189 - 02/06/14 12:04 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

LOL. I read that there were three records broken. Fastest score, longest lead, and most receptions/completed passes. Manning got one of those. What killed him was"yards after reception" which was also historically low.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#268191 - 02/06/14 12:14 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

Four. Most receptions. Thomas had 13. Seattle was also the only team to less by five points, and to score a safety, kick return and interception return in the same game. SB XLVIII also set viewing and betting records. So much lost time and money.

#268196 - 02/06/14 01:13 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
The. Sb was not exciting
It was an astounding domination
That far transcended bad calls, bad luck, or even an off day.
So I found it interesting in that way

I was not too familiar with Seattle except as an annoying rival for the 49ers
But though the performance And post game interviews I I now have a lot of respect for a really great organization. The team is much more than a few high profile stars.

Coach Pete Carroll is really great. Apparently he spent a couple of seasons with the 49ers and made a point of pumping the brain of bill Walsh. Whom I regard as one of the games greatest innovators.

Truth is. I prefer Seattles qb Russell Wilson to 49ers qb. Wilson himself is an amazing story of a guy who persevered despite always being "too small".

Congrats to Seahawks and their fans. Sadly I see continued success in their future.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#268220 - 02/07/14 02:11 PM Re: Super Bowl [Re: Ardy]
NW Ponderer Offline
veteran

There will be a continued rivalry on the west coast, and I see strong contention from the Chargers in the AFC. Next year will be next year. San Diego, by the way, is one city very hungry for a champion, having waited 60 years for a championship. Seattle is an upstart by comparison.

SF will be in contention again, and Kaepernick is a franchise quarterback. I think it is premature to speak of a Seahawks dynasty, but it is fun. Denver had a great year behind a great quarterback. If Manning comes back next year, I think there could be a rematch.

Who's Online
1 registered (Jeffery J. Haas), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2