by california rick
Yesterday at 12:38 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:31 PM
5 current Ferguson officers apart from Brown shooter figure in lawsuits
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:25 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 11:12 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
08/31/14 06:55 PM
National Israeli fire on Gaza town raises war crimes claim
by Ardy
08/31/14 06:52 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
08/31/14 08:55 AM
The 10 Biggest Classic Rock Douchebags
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:44 PM
Round Table for the week of August 24-30, 2014
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:37 PM
How Clayton Kershaw compares to the greatest pitchers in history
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:07 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:02 PM
Gun Tourism Grows in Popularity in Recent Years
by logtroll
08/30/14 01:44 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14300 Topics
247166 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#268493 - 02/16/14 01:45 PM We the jury...
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California

We the jury are pretty sure this Dunn fellow tried to kill all these kids, but we're not sure about the one he succeeded in killing

In November 2012, Dunn pulled into a Jacksonville, Florida, convenience store parking lot, got into an argument about the volume of the music coming from the stereo of an SUV parked next to him, and ended up firing 10 rounds into the side of the SUV, killing Jordan Davis, because Dunn claims he saw the kid had a gun - which turned out not to exist.

Dunn and his girlfriend then went back to their motel, ordered pizza, got a good night's sleep (cause shooting people is hard work) and drove home 130 miles to South Patrick Shores in Brevard County the next day. Finally, Dunn called police and reported what he had done, but probably not until Dunn did his laundry and made sure that it was neatly folded and put back in the dresser.

This man genuinely seems to think that the presence of black teenagers and loud music justified everything he did - they were mouthy thugs, and he was a man who didn't have to take it, because his glove compartment contained a 9mm equalizer. This is a man who cried while thinking about his 7-month old puppy, but not about the teenager he killed. His testimony was all about how he felt threatened, and the scary black teenagers in the SUV were talking about murdering him, and so he had no choice, really.

Dunn swears he heard Davis call him a "cracker." That played well with George Zimmerman's fans, surely, so maybe it helped Michael Dunn get some Flor-i-duh jury sympathy too, right? And then comes the Charles Bronson Moment: Dunn says he asked the menacing teens if he was the "m-f'er" that they were talking about killing, and then he saw Davis raise the imagined gun that police never found, and Davis very definitely said, "You’re dead, bitch," so what choice did Dunn have?

It was just like a movie! A movie where the peaceable and responsible white gun owner who's been pushed too far regains his power by putting down the black thug who's coming to kill him.

All the evidence shows that Davis was shot while sitting in the back seat of the SUV, not while outside the vehicle.

The jury came back with guilty verdicts for four charges of shooting a gun and attempted murder for the teenagers he did not succeed in killing, and a hung jury on murder in the first degree of Jordan Davis, the kid he did murder. This means the jury also deadlocked on lesser included charges, such as manslaughter - which means at least one person on the jury agreed that Michael Dunn was reasonably scared for his life while shooting 10 bullets at a car speeding away, and with no return fire.

Dunn claimed he acted in self defense under "Stand Your Ground." Dunn even remembered to say that he was "afraid."

Remember! "I was afraid" is an even better get out of jail free card than "I forgot."

#268496 - 02/16/14 03:54 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: california rick]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
And we are surprised by this? The state whose juries found both George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony innocent? I am shocked that it was a hung jury and they didn't find this latest idiot innocent. rolleyes

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#268497 - 02/16/14 04:04 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: california rick]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#268498 - 02/16/14 04:05 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
And we are surprised by this? The state whose juries found both George Zimmerman and Casey Anthony innocent? I am shocked that it was a hung jury and they didn't find this latest idiot innocent. rolleyes

It's Flor-i-duh were it's open season on black male teens if done under the guise of "Stand Your Ground" by responsible gun owners. With Zimmerman and now Dunn, all you have to say is that you feared for your life whenever you encounter a black male teen. "Stand Your Ground" is the definitive 'Get Out of Jail Free' card or so think the likes of Zimmerman and Dunn.

#268499 - 02/16/14 04:08 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: california rick]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The simple fact is that the prosecutor is going to retry and he can get 60 years (effectively life) for what he has been convicted for.

#268508 - 02/16/14 09:14 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: jgw]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jgw
The simple fact is that the prosecutor is going to retry and he can get 60 years (effectively life) for what he has been convicted for.

I don't know if that's fiscally prudent. Dude got 60 years, he's forty-seven.

#268509 - 02/16/14 11:39 PM Re: We the jury... [Re: california rick]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
The defendant will appeal, so the prosecution, having a limited time in which to refile, will have to do so before the defendant's appeal is concluded.

#268521 - 02/17/14 11:17 AM Re: We the jury... [Re: california rick]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
What about some lesser sort of murder charge manslaughter or whatever

I wonder about what happened here
It seems like this guy got very upset about the loud music and cut into emotional confrontation. He probably felt offended by these teenagers lack of respect for him. And possibly he even Thought they could pose a significant threat to him. And based upon his understanding of Florida law. He thought that if he felt threatened he could defend himself

I think again I was straight the problem with Florida gun laws. These laws are so permissive that it sort of promotes the idea of people getting into confrontations with the thought that if they feel threatened in that confrontation they can always pull out the gun shoot The guy.

Whether or not the laws really support this sort of behavior is not the point
In my opinion lots of people feel this is what the law supports. And so these laws tend to promote confrontations that lead up to deadly violence.

This guy did not plan to drive into a parking lot and shoot up a car full of black teenagers. So I am not sure that first degree murder the correct charge here.

Definitely the guy was wrong and should be punished. But I am raising the question of why And apparently normal person would do this sort of thing. by all indications he seemed to think that everything that he did was appropriate and normal. And if normal people think this sort of behavior is okay then we have a real big problem.

Edited by Ardy (02/17/14 11:38 AM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2