by Scoutgal
11/25/14 03:24 PM
We erred in publishing cartoon
by Scoutgal
11/25/14 02:07 PM
16 North Carolina Judges Quit Following State's Legalization of Gay Marriage
by Scoutgal
11/25/14 12:56 PM
'The View's' Rosie O'Donnell vs. All of Her Co-Hosts Over Bill Cosby Rape Allega
by Golem
11/25/14 12:52 PM
Jurors: 'Riverside Man Should Be Put To Death For Murdering, Torching Ex ...
by NW Ponderer
11/25/14 10:57 AM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14469 Topics
248717 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#269344 - 03/20/14 11:01 PM Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
If someone were to ask me for the definition of "chutzpah", I think I would be forced to refer them to this story:

Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars

Quote:
Texas and Arizona are each competing to be the future home of a new lithium-ion battery factory that Tesla estimates could create 6,500 jobs. These states are business-friendly, their representatives claim.

But neither state has been very friendly to Tesla: Both say Tesla can't sell cars there without using independent car dealers.

---Benjamin Bratton

#269345 - 03/20/14 11:05 PM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

And, believe it or not, Governor Rick Perry is actually ON the RIGHT side of this issue:

Regulations Could Harm Texas' Bid for Tesla Plant

"Perry, who will be exiting office then, supported legislation last session — House Bill 3351 — that would have allowed manufacturers of 100 percent electric cars to sell them directly to consumers."

Wendy Davis, on the other hand, is NOT:

“As governor, I’d promote these kinds of initiatives while making sure that we also takes steps to retain existing businesses – like car dealerships, in this case – that contribute to and make a huge difference in the local and state economy.”

Wow, just wow.

---Benjamin Bratton

#269348 - 03/21/14 12:01 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
Jeffrey, um, I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Texas. I can tell you FOR SURE that car dealership owners were the only movie (TV) stars we ever saw in person.

The first and only time my fiance and I ever spent the day and night on a ... I don't know the nautical term ... "big boat" and partied in its dock/berth whatever on Lake Dallas, our host was a car dealership owner. He was BIG. He had connections.

Car dealerships are big local money. I can't see them cutting in some outside talent.

#269349 - 03/21/14 12:04 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon

Now why would Tesla build a plant in Texas, Elon Musk wants his pride and joy to be built correctly, I'm sure.

#269350 - 03/21/14 12:08 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: pdx rick]
Spag-hetti Offline

(Snort!) Cut right to the heart, Rick. Love you for that.

#269351 - 03/21/14 12:19 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon

While Texas isn't quite Mississippi-West (Arizona) - it's a very close second.

#269352 - 03/21/14 12:32 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Spag-hetti]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
Jeffrey, um, I don't know where you're from, but I'm from Texas. I can tell you FOR SURE that car dealership owners were the only movie (TV) stars we ever saw in person.

The first and only time my fiance and I ever spent the day and night on a ... I don't know the nautical term ... "big boat" and partied in its dock/berth whatever on Lake Dallas, our host was a car dealership owner. He was BIG. He had connections.

Car dealerships are big local money. I can't see them cutting in some outside talent.

I understand. I lived and worked in the DFW Metroplex for ten years, just moved BACK to Southern California about eighteen months ago.

But Texas pols are always promoting the free market.
Sorry but, if you're going to talk about the virtues of the free market out of one side of your mouth as a candidate and then talk protecting car dealers out the other side, someone's going to call you out on that.

If you're also going to talk about being "friendly to business" out one side and then tell that same businessman you want his factory in your state but you don't want him to sell direct, someone will call you on it.

It truly is the definition of chutzpah and my guess is that Elon Musk knows something Texas doesn't. He probably knows that eventually these bans will crumble in court and Texas, and all the other states, will have to roll back their little laws which protect the dealers.

If you want to take this to the extreme, Lockheed Martin builds the F22 Raptor jet fighter at Air Force Plant #4 in White Settlement, Texas.

Should Lockheed be required to sell their product through dealerships? After all, they are selling direct to the government, our own and other governments.
Why should Lockheed get a special favor that Elon Musk can't?

I know why...and it's hypocritical.

---Benjamin Bratton

#269354 - 03/21/14 08:15 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
keysersoze Offline
journeyman

I have driven both the sedan and the sports model. Have been a long time supporter of Tesla (TSLA) and a few years ago a friend, who I have debated the merits of the vehicle, told me to "Put my money where my mouth was." So I bought 500 shares. Now I have almost enough to buy both the sedan and the sports model.

#269356 - 03/21/14 09:58 AM Re: Texas, Arizona Beg Tesla To Build Factories While Banning It From Selling Cars [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Spag-hetti Offline

I'm guessing Tesla doesn't grease the palms of the local pols like the local car boys do.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2