by Scoutgal
11/25/14 03:24 PM
We erred in publishing cartoon
by Scoutgal
11/25/14 02:07 PM
16 North Carolina Judges Quit Following State's Legalization of Gay Marriage
by Scoutgal
11/25/14 12:56 PM
'The View's' Rosie O'Donnell vs. All of Her Co-Hosts Over Bill Cosby Rape Allega
by Golem
11/25/14 12:52 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14470 Topics
248733 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#269397 - 03/23/14 02:15 AM Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014
NW Ponderer Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Welcome to Reader Rant Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014!

This week's offering is a true

(potpourri), a hodgepodge of disparate thoughts jumbled together, higgledy-piggledy.
March, it is often said, "Comes in like a lion, and out like a lamb." (Lamb stew, by the way, is a derivation of hodgepodge, although it was originally made with goose, although even more originally "Hotchpotch" was a legal term meaning "taken together in equal parts" - what is now known as "tenancy in common." See what I mean about higgledy-piggledy?)

It was on this date, in 1765, that the British "Quartering Act" went into effect, precipitating, in part, the American Revolution. The "Stamp Act" went into effect the day before. But that's OK (a term that came into popular use this day in 1839). This was also the week, in 1989, that the Exxon Valdez ran aground in Prince William Sound, spilling somewhere between a quarter and three-quarters of a million barrels of crude oil into the pristine waters of the sound. (A barrel of oil, by the way, is an inexact term, as the volume of oil in a barrel will vary by air pressure, temperature, and density of the oil. In modern times (and for economic reasons) it is defined as 42 (US) gallons, measured at 14.696 psi and 60 F. Unless, of course, it is measured anywhere else but the United States. When measuring disasters, though, the oil industry naturally tries to be as inexact as possible - considering liability, and all.) This particular disaster resulted in a major change in the shipping of oil worldwide, as the single-hull design of the Exxon Valdez (since repaired, renamed (x5), and retired) is now banned in North American and European waters.

This week, of course, is defined by disasters. (Remember that "in like a lion" thing?) Weather related disasters accumulate in March in the Northern Hemisphere. But, occasionally, we are transfixed by disasters of another ilk - i.e., man-made. In addition to the Exxon Valdez, the Triangle Shirtwaist factory disaster occurred this week (in 1911),
two Boeing 747s collided on a runway in the Canary Islands (in 1977),
and the Three Mile Island reactor overheated (1979).

UGH! Let's talk about something else, shall we?

SPRING TRAINING!
Spring training has been an annual ritual for Major League Baseball since almost its inception. As early as the 1890s, baseball owners saw the profit merit in showcasing stars and future stars to a wider audience. But it also gave the players the opportunity to train and prepare out of the goldfish bowl attention given by their regular fans. Spring training occurred all over the place, from Havana, Cuba to Hawaii. The Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Mexico have also hosted Spring Training. Eventually the congregation of teams in Florida resulted in the creation of the "Grapefruit league." All but six of the current Major League teams have trained in Florida during their history.

In the 1940's, however, there was a color line, and that was particularly true of Florida. It was partially as a result of this that the "Cactus league" developed. According to the autobiography of Bill Veeck (former Cleveland Indians owner) avoiding racism was one reason the Cactus League was established. It seems that
Quote:
in 1947, Veeck was the owner of the minor league Milwaukee Brewers and the team trained in Ocala, Fla. Veeck inadvertently sat in the Black section of the segregated stands and engaged in conversation with a couple of fans. According to Veeck's book, the local law enforcement told Veeck he could not sit in that section, and then called the Ocala mayor when Veeck argued back. The mayor finally backed down when Veeck threatened to take his team elsewhere for spring training and promised to let the country know why. Veeck's account was the subject of much debate among sportswriters after his autobiography was published, but later investigations proved his story to be mostly accurate.
- Wikipedia. Although many teams had previously trained in California, eventually many were persuaded to congregate in Arizona, and create what has become the Cactus League.

So
Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

#269399 - 03/23/14 10:04 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: NW Ponderer]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Great opener, NWP! Mr. Scoutgal did go to see The Los Angeles Dodgers play during Spring Training a few weeks ago. He is pretty encouraged by what he saw. ThumbsUp

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#269423 - 03/24/14 06:43 PM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#269424 - 03/24/14 06:48 PM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#269442 - 03/25/14 08:03 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#269443 - 03/25/14 11:27 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Questions That Haunt Me!

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Why is it that people say they 'slept like a baby' when babies wake up like every two hours?

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?

Why is 'bra' singular and 'panties' plural?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

Why do they use sterilized needles for death by lethal injection?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

#269444 - 03/25/14 11:46 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Scoutgal]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

They never did before, but they will now.

#269445 - 03/25/14 11:46 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Joe Keegan]
Joe Keegan Offline
veteran

#269446 - 03/25/14 11:52 AM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Joe Keegan]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

A lady goes to the bar on a cruise ship and orders a Scotch with two drops of water.

As the bartender gives her the drink she says 'I'm on this cruise to celebrate my 80th birthday and

it's today.'

The bartender says 'Well, since it's your birthday, I'll buy you a drink. In fact, this one is on me.'

As the woman finishes her drink The woman to her right says 'I would like to buy you a drink, too.'

The old woman says 'Thank you.

Bartender, I want a Scotch with two drops of water.'

'Coming up' says the bartender

As she finishes that drink, The man to her left says

'I would like to buy you one, too.'

The old woman says 'Thank you.

Bartender, I want another Scotch with two drops of water.'

'Coming right up' the bartender says.

As he gives her the drink,he says 'Ma'am, I'm dying of curiosity. ..Why the Scotch with only two drops of water?'

The old woman replies ......'Sonny, when you're my age, You've learned how to hold your liquor...

Holding your water, however, is a whole other issue.

#269449 - 03/25/14 02:54 PM Re: Round Table for the week of March 23-29, 2014 [Re: Scoutgal]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2