by california rick
12:46 AM
Zionism and ethnic cleansing.
by Schlack
04:38 PM
Palestine after Rome and before wwi
by Ardy
11:40 AM
palestinian responsibility for the Jewish Diaspora?
by Phil Hoskins
11:37 AM
Libya a failure of foreign policy
by NW Ponderer
11:35 AM
Help me understand
by Ma_Republican
11:20 AM
Spiritual But Not Religious
by Spag-hetti
07/28/14 06:08 PM
State sees surge in high-paying white-collar jobs
by NW Ponderer
07/28/14 08:39 AM
Time Travel Question: Kill Hitler or educate voters on the 2000 FL ballot
by california rick
07/27/14 12:39 PM
Round Table Foe Week Of July 20th-July 26th, 2014
by Scoutgal
07/27/14 10:08 AM
Passing out weapons as a foreign policy
by california rick
07/26/14 12:14 PM
Impeachment Circus Rides Again
by california rick
07/26/14 12:12 PM
Big brother is watching
by Joe Keegan
07/26/14 12:16 AM
Illegal immigration rates
by NW Ponderer
07/24/14 07:56 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by logtroll
07/24/14 01:28 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14220 Topics
246517 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#269747 - 04/08/14 01:57 PM UConn's Napier: 'We do have hungry nights'
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Jacqueline Rabe Thomas
The Connecticut Mirror
April 7, 2014

Quote:
Shabazz Napier, point guard for The University of Connecticut's men's basketball team, recently told reporters he understands why athletes at Northwestern need a union, as he sometimes has to go to bed "starving" because he cannot afford food.

"We as student athletes get utilized for what we do so well. We are definitely blessed to get a scholarship to our universities, but at the end of the day, that doesn't cover everything. We do have hungry nights that we don't have enough money to get food and sometimes money is needed," the senior told reporters. "I think, you know, Northwestern has an idea, and we'll see where it goes."

The National Labor Relations Board ruled last month that the football players at Northwestern, a private college, have the right to form the first labor union in college sports.

More

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFdRk2DYolM

#269750 - 04/08/14 02:56 PM Re: UConn's Napier: 'We do have hungry nights' [Re: Golem]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
My husband went to college on a student-athlete scholarship to play basketball. It was a small private school. The scholarship paid for his tuition, books, dorm room and a chit for the school cafeteria, which he could go to any time that it was open(usually 6:00 am-12:00 am, seven days a week. He was required to keep at least a 2.0 average to keep the scholarship, and to be a resident assistant every other semester. He worked during the summer to earn money for clothing, gas and insurance. And his grades were good enough(3.5 or better) that he was able to graduate with a degree in business and finance in 3 years. I wish that other schools did this.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#269753 - 04/08/14 03:31 PM Re: UConn's Napier: 'We do have hungry nights' [Re: Golem]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
I am really torn on this issue

On one hand I think it is important to defend amateur sports at the collegiate level.
and the whole unionization thing seems to start us down very slippery slope

On the other hand it seems to me that big time University sports programs are already well down that slippery slope. And the only ones holding up a Figleaf of decency on the whole charade are the athletes. Top level university sporting programs that are big money commercial enterprises for everyone except the athletes and the athletes are treated. In what ever means is expedient to maintain the enormously successful enterprise while simultaneously maintaining the pretense of amateur athletics

it is amateur athletics in the same way that TV wrestling is real wrestling as opposed to a artfully created entertainment product

Of course there are a few actual students in these university programs. But mostly they seem to me to be the minor leagues of pro sports. Most of the players are angling to try to get a pro sports career. Some of them do. Many others are simply cannon fodder in the whole enterprise.

If you happen to get a pro sports career out of the deal I guess it's a good thing. And I suppose a few actual students benefit from scholarships. But mostly in my opinion it is just a big business. And it is a business that does not care very much about its employees whom it mostly treats as disposable

Edited by Ardy (04/08/14 03:47 PM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#269755 - 04/08/14 04:17 PM Re: UConn's Napier: 'We do have hungry nights' [Re: Ardy]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Ardy~For the reasons that you stated in the above post, I am leaning towards some kind of unionization for college athletes. My husband knew he was not of the caliber for a pro sports career, but he did look at his scholarship as an opportunity to a better life. It has served us well over the last 33 years.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2