by Scoutgal
09:16 PM
More Voter Fraud Uncovered
by Scoutgal
09:12 PM
More on Islam
by itstarted
08:13 PM
What does the collapse of gay marriage opposition portend?
by logtroll
07:42 PM
Utah National Guard busted for risque ‘Hot Shots’ calendar photo shoot
by Scoutgal
06:47 PM
Round Table For Week Of October 19th-October 25th, 2014
by Scoutgal
06:45 PM
In sharp turn, gay couples marry in Arizona
by california rick
06:09 PM
Take our poll: Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?
by Ardy
06:09 PM
'Terminator's James Cameron & Gale Anne Hurd: Hasta La Vista To "Fear-Based" Stu
by Golem
04:45 PM
Goliath Encounter: Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist in Rainforest
by Jeffery J. Haas
03:50 PM
Conservative dishonesty on Ebola
by california rick
11:09 PM
Round Table for the week of October 12-18, 2014!
by california rick
12:02 PM
LPS superintendent reacts to national attention directed at district's gender id
by NW Ponderer
12:33 AM
The Cure for Capitalism
by logtroll
10/17/14 02:57 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14403 Topics
248120 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#270057 - 04/18/14 09:42 AM Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism
Doug Thompson Offline

Honcho
old hand

Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains of Virgin...

Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism

Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron  (Photo by Dave Martin/Getty Images)

Major League Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron
(Photo by Dave Martin/Getty Images)

Hank Aaron, a deserving member of baseball’s Hall of Fame and the man who broke the total home runs record of Babe Ruth, made the mistake of speaking the truth recently when he told USA Today that America is still a racist nation.

In 1973, I wrote a newspaper column about the racist-tinged threats that Aaron received over the winter months as he approached the season when he would break the career record of 714 home runs by Ruth.

That column brought its own collection of hate mail from racists who decried the fact that a black man would soon be the new home run king.

Aaron hit home run number 715 on April 8, 1974, and I interviewed him and shot photos when the Braves played the St. Louis Cardinals on April 30 of that year.
Aaron praised support from his teammates and the fans.

When I asked about the racist threats, he dropped his eyes and said: “I’m a black man in America. Racism is something I live with.”

Recently, in his interview with USA Today, Aaron he still has that mail because it serves:

To remind myself that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record. If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There’ s not a whole lot that has changed.

We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated. We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go.

The bigger difference is back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.

To prove not all that much has changed, the racists crawled out from their troglodyte bunkers and invoked obscenities and racial slurs to claim they aren’t racist.

Notes columnist Jonathan Capehart in the Washington Post:

“Hank Aaron is a scumbag piece of (expletive) (racial slur)’” a man named Edward says in an e-mail to the Braves front office obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

Edward invokes the epithet five times in four sentences, closing with, “My old man instilled in my mind from a young age, the only good (racial slur) is a dead (racial slur).” . . .

Marion calls Aaron a “racist scumbag.” Ronald won’t attend another Braves game until Aaron is fired. Mark calls Aaron a “classless racist.’” David says that he will burn Aaron’s “I Had A Hammer” autobiography.

Bring up racism in today”s society and you often find those who embrace bigotry screaming the loudest in claiming they aren’t what they are.

Sadly, I stil hear racial slurs used too often in conversation nowadays. Much of it is directed at America’s first black President: Barack Obama.

So it’s no surprise that much of screaming and yelling about what Hank Aaron said comes from those who can’t handle being called what they are: Racists, bigots, homophobes and haters in general.

We saw the ugly face of racism in the so-called, and easily discredited “birther” movement that tried to claim Obama was not an American by birth. Much of that hate came from the Republican-dominated “tea party” movement. Interestingly, calling the tea party a “movement” is valid only if you compare it to a similar movement called diarrhea. Like diarrhea, the tea party creates something that stinks to high heaven and is composed entirely of fecal matter.

Does this mean all Republicans are racist? Of course not, but as long as extreme right-wing zealots dominate the party’s agenda, they will be considered part of a mass that classifies blacks and other minorities as something beneath them.

It is sad that Hank Aaron now is enduring more hate and bigotry from the racists who still exist in our society. All he did was tell the truth and when he did, racists screamed out in pain because the truth hurts.

As it should.

#270058 - 04/18/14 10:08 AM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Doug Thompson]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Wow
A really fantastic column Doug
There is nothing to add but sincere admiration
Ardy

Edited by Ardy (04/18/14 11:41 AM)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#270059 - 04/18/14 10:18 AM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Ardy]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Pretty much nails it from my point of view.

#270068 - 04/18/14 03:59 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Like Doug says-Not all Republicans are racists, bigots, homophobes or haters. But they supported and continue to support those that are.

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#270082 - 04/19/14 05:26 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Doug Thompson]
Golem Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Quote:
We saw the ugly face of racism in the so-called, and easily discredited “birther” movement that tried to claim Obama was not an American by birth.

The "leaders" in the birther movement include Joe Arpaio, Philip J. Berg, Miki Booth, Alan Keyes, Orly Taitz, and Mike Zullo. Are any of them racists? I don't know. The only common thread I see among them is that they are whackos.

As to the rank and follow who swallow this up, some probably are racists, but most of the ones I see are just gullible, or are engaging in wishful thinking.

#270083 - 04/19/14 05:41 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Doug Thompson]
Golem Online   content
enthusiast

When this story broke, Larry Elder tweeted about it. See here and then here.

Good idea, Larry. Who are these Republican racists? What are their names?

#270084 - 04/19/14 05:59 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Scoutgal]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Scoutgal
Like Doug says-Not all Republicans are racists, bigots, homophobes or haters...

True, they're in recovery now: One day at a time smile

#270085 - 04/19/14 06:01 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Golem]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Golem
Good idea, Larry. Who are these Republican racists? What are their names?

We do know of at least one in recovery. coffee

#270087 - 04/19/14 06:07 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Doug Thompson]
Golem Online   content
enthusiast

BTW, I would never deny the existence of racism. Some here know what I'm talking about.

#270088 - 04/19/14 06:14 PM Re: Hank Aaron and the continuing pain of racism [Re: Doug Thompson]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Indeed we do. smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2