Gun Control
by joebialek123
Trump and Russia
by pondering_it_all
11:50 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10:21 PM
Who's more corrupt in Congress between the Republicans and the Democrats?
by jgw
07:07 PM
Round Table for October, 2017
by pondering_it_all
06:12 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
03:18 PM
Whales and dolphins have rich 'human-like' cultures and societies
by logtroll
10/22/17 10:42 AM
The Common Sense Party
by pondering_it_all
10/21/17 07:26 PM
Trump's war on Americans
by pdx rick
10/21/17 02:42 PM
Our entitled ruling class
by NW Ponderer
10/21/17 04:56 AM
Charolottesville
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/20/17 03:58 AM
The Danger of President Pence
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/20/17 03:15 AM
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - TV series
by jgw
10/17/17 08:15 PM
The Hoarding of the American Dream
by NW Ponderer
10/17/17 05:10 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16073 Topics
276939 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 9 of 25 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#270066 - 04/18/14 05:32 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: Spag-hetti]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
Wow. With all the things we fear, this is the latest attack on our soil. And this revolting malicia (thanks Logtroll) is being defended/applauded by right-wing media hosts.

Sean Hannity and Alex Jones are leading the Wingnut Clown Parade.

Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
They sure don't match what the right wingers tell us we should fear and loathe.

From what I saw, they are uniformly white. What's to fear from white Americans?

According to this article, T-Baggers are old and white. Hmm

No wonder they are so bitter. coffee

#270072 - 04/19/14 01:31 AM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: pdx rick]
Ardy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
From what I read
Bundy was paying range fees till 1993

At that time Blm took over management of the land

They decided that the number of cattle on the land exceeded capacity
And. Reduced permitted number of cattle

Bundy refused the change and stopped paying range fees

#270076 - 04/19/14 04:42 AM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: Ardy]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Ardy
From what I read
Bundy was paying range fees till 1993

At that time Blm took over management of the land ...

The BLM was managing the land prior to 1993, as well, with multiple management objectives. Grazing had long been the #1 objective, however, due in no small part to politics, and no large part to ecological science. The BLM reduced the stocking levels for cows in 1993 in response to ecological issues and Bundy objected. Many ranchers took advantage of a chance to get refunds from the BLM on leases and payments for "improvements" to the federally owned land (fencing, watering infrastructure) that they had paid for, if they wanted to stop grazing as a result of the reduced stocking levels.

Unlike his neighbors, Bundy just got mad and refused to comply and stopped paying. Then is when his steady creation of legal fictions began, along with the story that his family had been ranching the land long before the federal government became involved. The problem with that story is the only reason the Bundy ancestors were there is because the federal government acquired the land from Mexico as a result of the war (1848) and opened it for homesteading to Americans. The U.S. had to be involved before the Bundy ancestors or they would have had to be Mexicans (or illegals in Mexico).

The reason only about 10% of what became the state of Nevada is private is because much of the land was too barren to homestead. One department or another of the federal government has managed the land in question since 1848, the BLM being the agency in charge since 1948.

A great irony is that this land was never suited for cattle grazing on an ecologically sustainable basis in the first place. In the late 1800's, a very large portion of federal land under grazing in the Southwest, most of it by large companies owned by wealthy easterners, was in a severely overgrazed condition. A period of droughts completed the near destruction of the ecosystems - as I recollect from a historical analysis out of Northern Arizona University, an estimated 80% of all topsoil was lost to wind and water erosion because of the severely degraded watershed condition caused by cows and sheep.

Take a look at the photos accompanying this story and imagine cows living on that landscape. Bundy has been running between 600 and 900 head in the past ten years on 600,000 acres. Basic math shows that it takes on average 800 acres per cow to keep them fed, and that's leaving them on the range only part of the year. The standard grazing fee is something like $1.75 per AUM (animal unit month, which means a cow, or cow and calf). If the grazing is only eight months of the year, that's $14 per AUM, or 1-3/4 cents per acre per year. If the Bundy clan had been leasing the land continuously since 1877 (137 years) they would have paid a total of only $2.40 per acre in fees in today's dollars! That's a right worth defending!! (Unless you are a taxpayer, or someone who cares about environmental health, or the economy, or the law, or intelligence...)

Cows should not be on that landscape, there is no sane reason for it. I suppose that makes the issue all the more suitable for an insane "war" to happen over it. Hmm

Edited by logtroll (04/19/14 02:51 PM)

#270086 - 04/19/14 10:06 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Thank you LT for what appears to be a sterling analysis of the issue at hand. ThumbsUp

#270097 - 04/20/14 02:10 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Thanks, JH. Abuse of public lands and federally subsidized NonCon "custom and culture" (welfare ranchers) have a special place in my heart and I simply love to rhapsodize thereon.

Speaking of traitors, Bundy and his malicia friends are in that thrilling position of desperately needing to succeed at the overthrow of the government in order to escape being forever branded as seditionists and traitors. I guess that they reached a point where beer and reality TV shows just weren't filling their lives to the brim anymore.

Crazy bastids.

#270098 - 04/20/14 02:18 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: logtroll]
Scoutgal Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: CA USA
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Thanks, JH. Abuse of public lands and federally subsidized NonCon "custom and culture" (welfare ranchers) have a special place in my heart and I simply love to rhapsodize thereon.

Speaking of traitors, Bundy and his malicia friends are in that thrilling position of desperately needing to succeed at the overthrow of the government in order to escape being forever branded as seditionists and traitors. I guess that they reached a point where beer and reality TV shows just weren't filling their lives to the brim anymore.

Crazy bastids.

LOL

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

#270101 - 04/20/14 02:50 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: Scoutgal]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I am wondering if the posts of factual information about the Bundy Rebellion have influenced MaR's sympathies at all? Hmm

#270102 - 04/20/14 03:37 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
I am wondering if the posts of factual information about the Bundy Rebellion have influenced MaR's sympathies at all? Hmm

If presenting factual information to Bundy supporters at Greta's is any indication, I'd say "no!" This is why they keep losing elections.

#270118 - 04/21/14 03:14 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: logtroll]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA

I have an instinctual distrust of the government, especially a government that sends armed soldiers against its population. One can be sympathetic and still see right from wrong. As I stated before, Bundy should have been arrested and dragged before a judge. I am also pretty sure that the Federal government shouldn't own 90% of any state's property.

I am encouraged to see the people take a stand and discouraged to see the Fed insert armed "agents" into a civil disobedience dispute. There is a lot of wrong to spread around in this situation and the only good thing that happened was that the BLM took their people out before somebody got hurt. There are times in history when the people have to take a stand against the natural urge of the central government to abuse its power in the name of subduing the populous. This time clearer heads prevailed, the next time, or the time after, they may not. As was proven at Ruby Ridge, human nature is unpredictable, on both sides of the line.

I repeat, arrest him, put him on trial and send him to jail. Get a court order to confiscate his property for past due grazing fees and act like the authority and not a gang of thugs who is willing to maim and kill to achieve its goals.

Edited by Ma_Republican (04/21/14 03:16 PM)

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#270120 - 04/21/14 03:50 PM Re: Militias ‘mobilizing’ to support embattled Clark County rancher [Re: Ma_Republican]
logtroll Offline
veteran

You know, MaR, the BLM guys are part of their law enforcement staff. I guess all police who are on law enforcement duty are "armed soldiers", in your anti-gummit view?

What about the so-called "militia", you don't see them as illegitimate armed rebels? What law were they enforcing?

My real question to you, though, was about the economics of arid public lands ranching. I thought you were, above all else, an advocate of fiscal prudence - of not wasting tax dollars. So why are you, and all those malicia folks, supporting the Bundy family's 100+ years of sponging off of the taxpayers? (I'm beginning to think ya'll are closet Hindus, what with all the cow worship and all.)

Of secondary interest to me is if you still think that the federal government has been confiscating state, county, and private land.

Page 9 of 25 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 25 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2