by california rick
Yesterday at 12:38 PM
Tesla Motors Dealing as States Play Factory Poker
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:31 PM
5 current Ferguson officers apart from Brown shooter figure in lawsuits
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:25 AM
Why aren't atheists allowed in Congress?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 11:12 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
08/31/14 06:55 PM
National Israeli fire on Gaza town raises war crimes claim
by Ardy
08/31/14 06:52 PM
Rams cut Michael Sam, first openly gay player drafted
by Scoutgal
08/31/14 08:55 AM
My Muslim religion has problems that need fixing
by Ardy
08/30/14 08:27 PM
The 10 Biggest Classic Rock Douchebags
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:44 PM
Round Table for the week of August 24-30, 2014
by logtroll
08/30/14 07:37 PM
How Clayton Kershaw compares to the greatest pitchers in history
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:07 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2014
by Scoutgal
08/30/14 04:02 PM
Gun Tourism Grows in Popularity in Recent Years
by logtroll
08/30/14 01:44 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14300 Topics
247164 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#271545 - 06/13/14 07:02 PM Misdirection
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have been giving some thought on stuff we see and hear and how its sometimes seems to ignore the point.

Cantor lost. The TV tells us its all about politics, tea party, left and right, etc. The simple fact is that the man did not campaign as he was too important to do that and so he lost.

Windows has now abandoned XP and its a bonanza for computer folks. Microsoft would have us believe that its an incredibly dangerous and unsafe system. The facts are a bit different. They have been sending out thousands of updates and security fixes for 10 years. If one thinks about it, and understands that the same thing has been going on for windows 7 and 8, just for a much shorter period one might consider that perhaps XP just might actually be safer!

The warriors of congress would like us to get back into Iraq as soon as possible and give up that nonsense about leaving Afghanistan. Interesting. We spent over 10 years destroying Iraq, killing thousands, etc. We got into it because of lies and baloney. After 10 years of failure we got out. There was never a real goal after we killed off Sadam but we hung around anyway. The same holds true with Afghanistan. If we still had a draft those wars would have stopped a long time ago. If we can't fix something in over 10 years why in the world would we keep on failing? Perhaps, just perhaps, the simple fact that the military/industrials spend more bribing/contributing to politicans than anybody else might have a bit to do with it?

Bradley (now name changed) was an upset member of our military intelligence. This was a known fact. So, the military gave him a computer, access, and a dvd burner. All that being said its was all his fault. Only wishful thinking would make one think that possibly the military itself used a bit of bad judgement.

Now we have the Bowe Bergdahl deal. All the talk is about whether the man is a deserter, whether Obama made a bad trade, etc. Consider - this guy was kicked out of the Coast Guard for mental problems but the army had no problem enlisting him (at the time they were letting anybody join up who was ambulatory irregardless of bad discharge, criminal records, etc) So, my own thought is all the blather just might be missing the point? (yet again)

Then there is the Snowden thing. I have no idea of what he did was good or bad. I tend towards good but am not set in stone on that one. On the other hand nobody seems to talk about how it happened. The man was given complete access to what our government tells us were our deepest secrets. This happened for one simple reason. The intelligence contractor he worked for did not have in place a program which constantly checked the security of its computers. They were supposed to have it in place and they did not. However, 2 weeks after the Snowden thing hit, OUR government, in its infinite wisdom, saw fit to reward that company with a multi-billion dollar contract.

I can go on and on about this stuff. The point, I think, is made. Whilst everything thing we are told might be correct that does not mean that everything we are told is really all that pertinent or important in the end. The wishful part is that I wish that people who are responsible for screwing things up got to pay some sort of price for that. I think that is especially pertinent when it comes to government work. I remember an old phrase; "Good enough for government work". Kinda makes me wonder.......

#271556 - 06/13/14 11:27 PM Re: Misdirection [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
veteran

Loc: Downey, California
I don't know where to start but I'll take a shot at the XP thing.
Please consider this, Microsoft wanted to take internet security (AND overall PERFORMANCE) to the next level, thus they rolled out Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE has won recognition as one of the best security products on the planet.

But for it to work the best it must function in a more modern and advanced code environment than XP could offer. MS decided that it would cost them way too much to issue yet another Service Pack for XP, which would have ultimately caused it to BECOME a product that wasn't quite Win7 thus not nearly as good. Ten years is an awfully long long LONG time in the PC world. What should we do, continue to support 8-track tape players, too?

Not only that but, it's a 32 bit system, and frankly even though 32 bit is still fine for checking email and mild web surfing the fact is, 32 bit is DEAD.

MS gave folks an extra THREE years to wean themselves off XP.
To be honest, I happen to believe their biggest mistake was offering Win7-32 bit but I realize that a good many folks simply loaded Win7/32 onto their aging XP boxes as a transition.

We said goodbye to 1930's technology in 2008 when NTSC analog television broadcasting signed off for the last time.
In computer terms, XP was the equivalent of NTSC analog TV.
For my money they should have just deep-sixed 32 bit altogether.

But in any case, WRT to XP it was time, for a number of reasons.

To be continued, I want to give some reaction to the other stuff you mentioned too, but I want more time to think first.

Cheers, mate wink

---Benjamin Bratton

#271559 - 06/14/14 12:16 AM Re: Misdirection [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Jeffery;
Interesting thought. I have at least 4 friends with windows 7 or 8 who relied on that set for security and every one of them got infected. In other words its not exactly great but, I guess, its also got to do with just what you do with your machine. I have been dealing with this stuff for over 40 years and so I have a passed familiarity with it. I am not a big admirer of any of the windows stuff but I do use it. From my experience the programming is kinda sloppy and leaves crap on your machines. I am not saying its the worst or the best it just is not all that great. 7 is better than 8 (I consider 8, unless you are into touch screen bigtime, the new vista). 7 is also much better than xp but xp is still functional - whatever Microsoft says and there are a LOT of folks still using it. You are also flat out right about 32 vs 64.

I don't want a battle over this stuff and just thought I would explain why I said what I did. I also believe, for the most part, that a 5 year old machine (and sometimes even more) is good enough for at least 95% of users. My son has friends who are giving him their 'old' xp machines because their dealers are telling them that they will not run 7 which is pure crap (2/4 cores, 4gb, etc). This is the kind of stuff they tried to pull with Vista too. This is why I feel the way I do about the stopping of xp support (with 1 year extension) and the attendant threats over security.

The whole reason I wrote this stuff, in the first place, was that I think that them that would tell the 'news' sometimes do not tell the whole truth and, I suspect, they do it on purpose with orders from above. (I love a good conspiracy! <G>)

Edited by jgw (06/14/14 12:26 AM)
Edit Reason: add

#271564 - 06/14/14 06:53 AM Re: Misdirection [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
What really grinds my gears is that every new version of windows has additional complexity and size to support fancy new features that add little to our applications, but open up new vulnerabilities. Why don't we have a pdf rendering program that does nothing but generate images. Why don't we have a spreadsheet program that does nothing but work with numbers in spreadsheet cells? And so on...

All of these applications let outside websites or files sent by email run programs inside the pdf rendering program, spreadsheet, word processing program, browser, etc. because the new "powerful" features need that capability. I think we would be much better off with a set of applications that omit all that dangerous stuff, and then the OS security measures could be quite simple and robust.

But of course once everybody settles on a set of features they need and resists adding any more, software marketing people would have no jobs!

#271566 - 06/14/14 07:57 AM Re: Misdirection [Re: jgw]
california rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Bay Area, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
The warriors of congress would like us to get back into Iraq as soon as possible and give up that nonsense about leaving Afghanistan. Interesting. We spent over 10 years destroying Iraq, killing thousands, etc. We got into it because of lies and baloney. After 10 years of failure we got out. There was never a real goal after we killed off Sadam but we hung around anyway. The same holds true with Afghanistan. If we still had a draft those wars would have stopped a long time ago. If we can't fix something in over 10 years why in the world would we keep on failing? Perhaps, just perhaps, the simple fact that the military/industrials spend more bribing/contributing to politicans than anybody else might have a bit to do with it?

What is happening currently in the middle east started with the single most foolhardy geopolitical act of modern times, and the most fooling geopolitical act ever undertaken by the United States of America: the invasion of Saddam Hussein's Iraq on March 20, 2003.

The current situation in Iraq is the direct result of George Bush, his administration, the neo-conservative propaganda machine devoted to carrying out a Wilsonian policy of making "the world safe for democracy" using the blood of American GIs and the wealth of an indentured citizenry conned into allowing them to attack, occupy, and engage in nation-building in an Iraq that was no threat to America. It was this same administration that set the date and signed the agreement with the Iraqi government for US withdrawal.

Barack Obama is not the guilty party relative to Iraq and its current inevitable descent (re-descent) into chaos. All else is rationalization and excuse making; but rather an earnest but hamstrung president who has been left to swirl in historical currents not of his own making, and which he is powerless to change. Worse, our divided government has left him in the sort of power vacuum that encourages aggression wherever it may appear.

Barack Obama will be blamed for the catastrophe that's unfolding currently in Iraq by the Right Wing media machine, but it was inevitable from the first moment an American boot touched the ground in 2002.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2