by Scoutgal
Today at 12:04 PM
Genetic Testing
by pdx rick
Today at 10:52 AM
The Pope and evolution
by Scoutgal
Today at 09:39 AM
Quantitative Easing Is About to End. Hereís What It Did, in Charts.
by NW Ponderer
Today at 08:29 AM
Governor: Maine will seek to enforce quarantine of Kaci Hickox
by rporter314
Today at 12:33 AM
Brand new '2001: A Space Odyssey' trailer is gorgeous
by Golem
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Charles Barkley Slams "Unintelligent Blacks" on Philly Radio
by logtroll
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
RETIREMENT
by california rick
10/28/14 05:27 PM
Interstellar: the movie
by Golem
10/28/14 05:14 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10/27/14 02:46 PM
"Same reason YOU get to live, breathe, and walk black!"
by Scoutgal
10/26/14 11:15 AM
F/A/O Phil: Help !!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!111
!!!!!!!!

by logtroll
10/25/14 06:02 PM
Muslim Woman Attacks Muslims For Demanding Halal Food At Minnesota Food Banks
by NW Ponderer
10/25/14 12:03 PM
Ebola
by logtroll
10/24/14 03:06 PM
Forum Stats
6003 Members
55 Forums
14420 Topics
248319 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 01:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#272684 - 07/16/14 07:01 AM Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Portland, Oregon

via Mother Jones.com

( Actual Study Link Here )

Quote:
A large body of political scientists and political psychologists now concur that liberals and conservatives disagree about politics in part because they are different people at the level of personality, psychology, and even traits like physiology and genetics.

Quote:
..the conservative ideology, and especially one of its major facetsócentered on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availability of gunsówould seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology.

Quote:
...conservatives tend to register greater physiological responses to [negative] stimuli and also to devote more psychological resources to them.

Quote:
...research consistently finds that conservatism is positively associated with heightened epistemic concerns for order, structure, closure, certainty, consistency, simplicity, and familiarity, as well as existential concerns such as perceptions of danger, sensitivity to threat, and death anxiety...

Quote:
...All of this matters, of course, because we still operate in politics and in media as if minds can be changed by the best honed arguments, the most compelling facts. And yet if our political opponents are simply perceiving the world differently, that idea starts to crumble....

#272685 - 07/16/14 12:05 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: pdx rick]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Thanks, CaRick, confirms what I said in another thread.

#272686 - 07/16/14 12:08 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: pdx rick]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Rick

it seems to me that the bottom line of what you have posted is that the divide between the two groups is unbridgeable. and certainly not the domain of a fact based discussion

And I admit there is good evidence for this.

But for fun let's consider the alternative view

I think that we all agree that the device has been greatly exacerbated over the past several years. This leads me to conclude that the divide is not inexorable

Further, I think that most of us have given some thought to the way in which this divide have and enhanced. We know that this not just spontaneously happened. Some fairly smart and well-connected people came up with a plan. and I think that we have to acknowledge that their planning was fairly successful.

So if someone could plan a strategy to provide people I presume that it would also be possible to make a plan having the opposite influence.

Of coarse we must acknowledge that the Koch plan was not a fact based assault. and I sort of suspect that a counter plan also should not be fact based

I am not saying that the plan should be deceptive. Only that it should take into account the realities of the situation. which clearly is that fact based argumentation does not work

More later

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#272687 - 07/16/14 12:09 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: Phil Hoskins]
logtroll Offline
old hand

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Is this an example of pronounced negativity bias in action?

Republican politician sees fear on their faces...

Is lying about what he after the fact another manifestation of negativity bias, or is it simple dishonesty?

#272688 - 07/16/14 12:23 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Is this an example of pronounced negativity bias in action?

Republican politician sees fear on their faces...

Is lying about what he after the fact another manifestation of negativity bias, or is it simple dishonesty?

Oopsie, another example of how racism and hatred will get you every time.

#272692 - 07/16/14 06:47 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: Ardy]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
if someone could plan a strategy to provide people I presume that it would also be possible to make a plan having the opposite influence.

There certainly has been some concerted effort to make people more fearful. Fox News is a good example, and to a great extent people are doing it to make money. Simply restoring the media fairness doctrine would go a long way toward alleviating people's tabloid-journalism-generated fears: Every time a FOX news program enumerated another thing to fear, an opposing side spokesman could make fun of it and call the news anchor a pussy! Nobody wants to see themselves as a coward.

#272696 - 07/16/14 09:56 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: pdx rick]
Ardy Offline
veteran

Loc: San Jose, Ca USA
Cable is insulated from any Fairness doctrine

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

#272697 - 07/17/14 12:06 AM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: Ardy]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ardy
Cable is insulated from any Fairness doctrine

Is that true, or are you being snarky? Hmm

#272712 - 07/17/14 03:24 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: pdx rick]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Cable services are not "broadcast" therefore outside the rules applicable to over air broadcasts.

#272716 - 07/17/14 07:05 PM Re: Differences in negativity bias underlie variations in political ideology [Re: Phil Hoskins]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
Cable services are not "broadcast" therefore outside the rules applicable to over air broadcasts.

Thank you for the explanation Phil. smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
xiawei, Marzman, kyleyoung8, Retread, solafeian
6003 Registered Users
A2