Current Topics
Is invoking non- existent privilege obstruction?
by NW Ponderer
37 minutes 48 seconds ago
Why Norwegians Aren't Moving to the U.S.
by pondering_it_all
54 minutes 30 seconds ago
Underclass
by pondering_it_all
Today at 04:36 AM
"Moron...Man-Ch
ild...Trump"

by pondering_it_all
Today at 04:29 AM
Let's check in on the cattle abusers, deadbeat grazers, wildlife squatter Bundys
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
WalMart closing 63 Sam's Club
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 04:54 AM
list of what Trump has done so far
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 02:41 AM
Moderation and good will
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 01:14 AM
Fahrenheit 451
by Jeffery J. Haas
01/16/18 10:21 PM
Round Table for January, 2018
by Greger
01/16/18 08:06 PM
Car flies into 2nd floor of Santa Ana building
by pondering_it_all
01/16/18 03:27 AM
Five Decades of White Backlash
by pondering_it_all
01/16/18 03:11 AM
Reasons People Lie When They Donít Need To
by pondering_it_all
01/15/18 12:15 AM
Gay Old Time: The rise and fall of Laguna Beachís gay clubs
by pondering_it_all
01/13/18 08:10 AM
Campaign themes for 2018
by matthew
01/13/18 03:28 AM
Immigration Realities
by pdx rick
01/12/18 06:09 PM
Bitcoin
by pdx rick
01/12/18 05:43 PM
Trump and Russia
by Jeffery J. Haas
01/11/18 12:51 AM
Trump, you failed. Put America first. Walk away.
by pondering_it_all
01/09/18 09:46 PM
Politicizing Justice
by NW Ponderer
01/08/18 06:02 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16158 Topics
278553 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#274332 - 10/07/14 06:09 PM Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Rebecca Klein
The Huffington Post
October 7, 2014

Quote:
A mother in Michigan took to Facebook last week to express her outrage over a 10th-grade school assignment that she felt promoted Islam.

In an initial post, Jennette Hall complained about a Jenison High School assignment that asked students to make a pamphlet about Islam. The post, which had been shared over 5,400 times as of Tuesday morning, said students were told the pamphlet would be used to "introduce Islam to 3rd graders." ...

"This assignment upset me because they are presenting Allah as the same God of the Christians and Jews. This paper, in my opinion, is promoting Islam by describing Allahs names as 'beautiful'. To me this is not simply factual like it should be," Hall wrote about the assignment ...

More

#274333 - 10/07/14 06:34 PM Re: Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam [Re: Golem]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I liked the artwork. I could never do good faces like that...

#274335 - 10/07/14 10:31 PM Re: Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
After months of frantically searching the internet for how I should react to this bombshell, I finally discovered a nugget over on LiberTEA Cave Dwellers;

"And if this self same school and same teacher made an assignment for a pamphlet on Christianity you would have the ACLU in the school before she passed out the last paper to the last student. That night there would be national news coverage of the school forcing religion on students and on the View the women would be going ape crap crazy over the lack of separation of church and state and in Washington the President would be on TV announcing Boots on the ground at Jenison High School and Holder would come out of retirement just to prosecute this raciest baiting teacher.

Think I'm wrong?"

I think that, though it was not a focus of the article, the same assignment was given relative to half a dozen religions, so yes, I think that the poster is wrong. (Note: being wrong over at the LCD site is irrelevant if you are screeching the party line...).

The lesson exercise does seem like a good way to crack open ideological mindsets into considering maybe? some factual information and perspectives about religious cultures?

Butt hay, don't take this to mean that I prefer teaching kids to think for themselves over rote-learning the prejudices of bigoted idiots. Hmm

#274336 - 10/07/14 11:58 PM Re: Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Did anybody notice the logic problem? She says the Christian (and Jewish) God is "the one God", and then talks about the Muslim God as "the one God". How can there be two different "one Gods"?

She's just a little confused: "Allah" is just Arabic for "God" and is almost exactly the word for God that Jesus would have used. (As a speaker of Aramaic.) And it's pretty funny that she thinks the Jews are okay: Sure Jesus was a Jew, but the Jews think Jesus was just a man. Nothing special.

At least the Muslims consider Jesus (Issa in Arabic) to have been a prophet like Abraham, Moses, etc. They probably consider Jesus to be more devine than lots of Unitarians! I know they do often include Jesus in their prayers, and always use the Peace Be Upon Him honorific when they mention His name.

#274340 - 10/08/14 03:47 AM Re: Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This mother simply followed the pattern of modern life: going off half-cocked without bothering to try to undestand. Her ignorance is astounding, if not uncommon. She is sorely in need of remedial education. I weep for her child.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#274342 - 10/08/14 03:55 AM Re: Mother Upset Over School Assignment About Islam [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

(Regarding the artwork: ironically, many Muslims believe that depiction of the human or divine form is haram - forbidden. Many Islamic scholars, however, point out that what is prohibited is not depictions of humanity, nor even divinity, but idolatry. What has developed at various times in Islamic history is the "better safe than sorry" approach is taken as a requirement.)

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2