Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#283887 - 12/17/15 07:53 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Ken Condon
Jeff:

Absolutely. The Fountain of Youth no longer exists. But it still feels good.

Absolutely what? Absolutely they do screw things up or absolutely everything is left intact?

#283906 - 12/18/15 09:30 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Just having the ability to take a good piss is better than the ability to get it up. Really, by the time you need to have your urinary tract reamed out, you are not so interested in having sex several times a day anymore.

But I don't think the reaming damages your prostate. Having your prostate removed because of fast-growing prostate cancer almost always marked the end of your sex life, because they cut the necessary nerves. But lately, they are much better at it and often they don't cut them. So I think you can have an orgasm, but won't produce semen.

#283907 - 12/18/15 09:38 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

We really may have The Fountain of Youth pretty soon. Simply having all of the human DNA sequenced is the start of the medical singularity. Within our lifetimes we may have good enough disease cures to keep us alive until we have true rejuvenation. Probably not, but it could happen. That's why my retirement planning is to live forever. It would really be irritating to run out of money at 105, but live in a cardboard box for another 50 years.

#283908 - 12/18/15 10:04 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am beginning... mind you, just beginning, to feel the pull of the years. Knees that don't cooperate; pills in the morning, pills before bed; a lack of stamina that I used to take for granted. But, there are advantages, too. I have more time (which is sometimes a disadvantage, too), and can direct my energies more efficiently. I've always believed that life is good, and you try to make the best of whatever you are given. I feel like I've been given a lot, so I have no complaints. Except, of course, for everything Republican.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#283909 - 12/18/15 10:22 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
I don’t think the reaming damages your prostate

They “resection” the prostate. In my case removed about half of it. But one still has a sex drive and an orgasm.

But prostate cancer is a different ball game. So to speak. A friend of mine (same age) had that about ten years ago and in that case they remove the entire prostate. Then feed you hormones to get your testosterone level down to zero. Any detected testosterone after that shows them that the cancer is still active.

He told me that was the strangest feeling. Where he once would see a shapely gal and have the usual reactions- there was nothing. Zilch. Nada. He might as well have been looking at a shrub. He did recover from the cancer and now that his testosterone level is about normal the usual reactions have reappeared. Of course at a reduced level from when one was a teen and it was always boing! forty times a day.

When all is said and done we indeed are mostly just bags of chemicals and hormones.

#283910 - 12/18/15 10:53 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
The physical pain is a pain in the ass (pardon the bad pun) but I think a lot has to do with mental propensity.
My 101 year old neighbor (when I was boy) used to say:
"If you ain't in the water swimming you gonna be drownin' "

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#283912 - 12/19/15 03:31 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon

He told me that was the strangest feeling. Where he once would see a shapely gal and have the usual reactions- there was nothing. Zilch. Nada. He might as well have been looking at a shrub.

Wow...that simply FLOORS me.
I always say that I "am happily married to a gorgeous lady but I am not blind" because even though I do have a very pretty wife, my eyeballs still function. Karen being the wonderful girl she is, says
"Look-ee all you want....NO touch-ee." grin

To her credit she has good taste. She is in love with Sean Connery.
No not the young 007 Sean Connery, the "Welcome to the rock" Sean Connery, the Red October Sean Connery.
That means I still might have some mojo even as I get old and grey.

But I cannot even begin to imagine seeing a pretty woman and NOT FEELING ANYTHING AT ALL, I just can't even wrap my brain around it.

My goal is to be like Pablo Picasso, a dirty old man till the day I die. Fortunately I have quite a few relatives on the Italian side who have managed to do just that.
Here's to hoping I inherited some of the good genetics.

#283945 - 12/20/15 10:37 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

The prostate cancer thing is a special case: The cancer cells may be testosterone-dependent. So they blast your testosterone-producing cells with a whopping dose of steroids and they shut down. (AKA chemical castration) That way, the remaining cancer cells die off. Once they decide you are cancer-free, you can start taking some testosterone pills to get your level back to normal. (Lance Armstrong?)

Same deal with breast and ovarian cancer. Most of those are estrogen-dependent, so they take out your female parts and blast your other organs that produce a little bit of estrogen. When you are finished with the cancer, you can start replacement hormone therapy.

Either way, I am sure that as a eunuch you can still appreciate the beauty of a male or female body, face, etc. You just have no particular urge to do anything about it until the hormone therapy starts. Small price to pay to live, especially if you are too old to devote much energy to sex anyway. This decline is quite natural in women at menopause who chose not to take hormones.

#283948 - 12/20/15 10:48 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

Either way, I am sure that as a eunuch you can still appreciate the beauty of a male or female body, face, etc. You just have no particular urge to do anything about it until the hormone therapy starts. Small price to pay to live, especially if you are too old to devote much energy to sex anyway. This decline is quite natural in women at menopause who chose not to take hormones.

"Small price to pay to live...."
Yeah you may be right about that but to me it will always sound like trying to bargain with the Angel of Death.
That's one instance where I actually wish I could shoot on sight, if bullets could kill death angels, that is.

Energy? As long as I can have the energy to embrace my sweetheart I'm sure I can respond in some way that she'll find rewarding.

Maybe it's time we started devoting some of that military budget to finding newer and better ways to keep the human body producing all the right juices and hormones well into maturity, since I happen to believe that a lot of wars start with angry men who aren't "getting any".

#283949 - 12/20/15 10:53 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I have a coworker buddy who asked me: "Aren't you scared? [about the MS]". I had a glimpse into his concern about dying with a wife and two children who would have a very hard time without him. He is about 15 years younger than me, and hopefully has a good life insurance policy.

I told him everybody has to die from something, and at this rate the MS might kill me along about the time I was ready to go anyway. In the bigger picture, I am very happy with my life so far and the MS seems to be just the deterioration I would expect anyway with age. I do have to take some pills morning and night, but they have very mild side effects that usually I don't even notice.

I don't have much life insurance, but on the other hand don't have any kids either. My wife would do fine on our investments, so there is no need.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2