by NW Ponderer
10/17/17 05:10 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
10/17/17 03:19 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
The Surprising Way a Confederate Submarine Crew Died at the Hands of Its Own Wea
by logtroll
10/16/17 03:35 PM
Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and Ameri
by Ujest Shurly
10/15/17 06:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/15/17 06:24 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16071 Topics
276929 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283869 - 12/16/15 11:24 PM On Aging...
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida

Originally Posted By: Pondering_It_All
I think MD trumps MS, at least MS in the gradual form I seem to have. I'm taking Tekfidera and a ton of vitamin D3, and I don't think I am having any more episodes. But the damage I already have in my foot nerves seems to be permanent. At this rate, it might take 30 or 40 years to actually kill me.

I have a late onset variety of MD and it's not liable to kill me.
Oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy (OPMD) I've had the eye surgery so that part is fixed. The throat issues aren't getting any worse and I'm able to eat normally as long as I'm cautious. The legs though are getting progressively weaker. Stairs are out of the question, even curbs give me a problem if I don't have my cane with me. I'm going to try some physical therapy this coming year but the general consensus of the doctors is that there is nothing at all they can do to improve it. Fortunately it doesn't normally affect the heart and the old ticker is still in pretty good shape.

Edited by Greger (12/16/15 11:27 PM)

#283870 - 12/16/15 11:51 PM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Our species was not supposed to be living as long as we are currently living. So the Cat in the Hat is absolutely right! The golden years can kiss my ass.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#283873 - 12/17/15 12:37 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ezekiel]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Aint that the truth. Have I told you about my latest operation? LOL

But seriously folks aside from that knee operation two years prior I had a serious case of BPH. Look it up. Fuggin Hindenberg. Could not pee as Greger thru Suess so eloquently pointed out.

When I could no longer take it I finally ended up at the urologists. I was asked to give a urine sample to detect possible blood and what they got was a large blood sample to possibly detect urine. Seriously. My bladder was splitting and rupturing.

They hysterically jammed a tube up my dick and it was like the lion with the thorn pulled out of the paw. Oh gawd-----thank you. I had the catheter for a week and then the paddle drill up the urethrae. Or the salami slicer or the laser. Take your pick. I was sliced and diced.

When I came home I went to the toilet to pee. Blood and urine shot out and splattered all over the toilet and the wall behind. It looked like someone had capped himself with a .45 in the bathroom. Seriously. The walls and toilet were covered. So I went out to the backyard.

I found out I could shoot my piss about ten yards out. Seriously. I pissed over the neighbors fence in a tower of glory. It was a stupendous sight I wish i had recorded. My full bladder could be evacuated in five seconds flat. In a very thick stream.

So I then went for the followup. Doc told me I had “An Olympic shaped bladder with astonishing muscles”. From pushing the trickle for all those years.

It’s normal now. eek

#283878 - 12/17/15 02:09 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I'm nominating that as just about the weirdest, yet interesting, goddam post I have ever read...

#283879 - 12/17/15 02:18 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: logtroll]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Every word true loggy.

#283880 - 12/17/15 03:49 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

I’ve sometimes wondered about the following. So there I was growing up in Hawaii (TYGA) and mosquitoes were very prevalent. So was the fear of malaria. Every so often the following would happen:

A jeep like vehicle with a compressor on the back would come chugging through the neighborhood. We could hear it coming from a long way off--just about dark time. The bug man! We would shriek that phrase with joy. The bug man sprayed a cloud of diesel laced with DDT—in a great fog.

Neighborhood kids would gather and we would then follow it around on our bicycles. Sometimes so blinded we (I) would crash into a parked car on the side of the road and end up on the hood of that parked car. I picked myself up, then jumped back on my bike, and rode along. When we came back home we would be covered in a film of diesel and DDT. But we never got Malaria! I sometimes think about that now. With all the organic-non GMO stuff concern. I do not recommend riding a bike through a diesel cloud of DDT. But I survived.

And I have long wondered if that DDT exposure had something to do with my inflamed prostate.

Naw----

Edited by Ken Condon (12/17/15 03:52 AM)

#283881 - 12/17/15 04:11 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
The big question, do they Roto-Rooter the prostate and does it screw up your prostate's ability to do what prostates are good at doing?

#283882 - 12/17/15 04:25 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Quote:
Ken Hall remembers well the fun he and his playmates had as kids running through the streets during the routine DDT mosquito control foggings that were part of life in Hawai'i during the 1960s.
"We used to love it,'' said Hall, who grew up in Kane'ohe. "We thought it was a neat thing. We didn’t know any better.''

Link

Remember this article was from 20011.

#283883 - 12/17/15 04:26 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Jeff:

Absolutely. The Fountain of Youth no longer exists. But it still feels good.

#283884 - 12/17/15 04:30 AM Re: On Aging... [Re: Ken Condon]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Neighborhood kids would gather and we would then follow it around on our bicycles.

We did that in Florida too. Until one day I saw the jet of Diesel/DDT catch fire and shoot out the back of the truck like a flamethrower.

We still have mosquito sprayers but they shoot out a mere trickle of foul smelling effluvia, nothing like the glorious clouds of fog that used to erupt from them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2