Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16101 Topics
277427 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#284216 - 01/07/16 08:18 PM The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Up
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Author Interview with Leonard Sax: The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups

Leonard Sax and Christopher N. Malagisi
Townhall
January 5, 2016

Quote:
Our feature author interview is with Leonard Sax, MD, PhD, author of the new book The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups, published by Basic Books. With PC safe-space student protests roiling our nation's campuses, the topic of parenting has never been more topical. How did they get this way? Find out more below!

Congratulations Leonard on your new book, The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups! Can you give us an overview of your book, and what your inspiration was in writing it?

More

#286543 - 04/11/16 10:03 AM Re: The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Up [Re: Golem]
MarkS Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Golem
Author Interview with Leonard Sax: The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups

Leonard Sax and Christopher N. Malagisi
Townhall
January 5, 2016

Quote:
Our feature author interview is with Leonard Sax, MD, PhD, author of the new book The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups, published by Basic Books. With PC safe-space student protests roiling our nation's campuses, the topic of parenting has never been more topical. How did they get this way? Find out more below!

Congratulations Leonard on your new book, The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups! Can you give us an overview of your book, and what your inspiration was in writing it?

More

Thanks for sharing this article. This is something I think all parents should read.

I wish mine had read something like this years ago..

#286544 - 04/11/16 04:06 PM Re: The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Up [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
The biggest indicator that you're dealing with a failed liberal is when they unleash their inner fascist. So called PC safe space protests, screaming students, professors who censor and publish long lists of politically correct demands are all indicators of failed liberalism which has devolved into fascism.

Parents who raise their kids in a "buddy" environment and fail to mentor the exposure of their kids to the onslaught of material that promotes a culture of disrespect is a contributing factor, but these campuses filled with failed liberals is really just an extension of the nest they left.

#286547 - 04/11/16 04:45 PM Re: The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Up [Re: Golem]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Seriously? Did anyone actually read the article? ANYone? "The culture of disrespect in which American kids are now immersed is new, and it’s toxic." And where is it centered? On the very outlets that are touting the book! "Stuart Varney on Fox Business", Town Hall, Wall Street Journal Opinion pages... Donald Trump? "it’s now common to find 10-year-olds from ‘good’ families in ‘good’ neighborhoods who say “shut up” to their parents." - Yeah, led by the example of those parents who follow "reality TV" like it's... real; who watch FOX and read Town Hall and think that it is the "majority view" and who support candidates who will espouse any lie in an effort to gain a well-paying government position for which they don't have to have qualifications or do any actual work.

I happen to agree with one aspect of the premise, and that is that there should be mutual respect between a parent and a child. That is what a loving family does. But what is the author's solution?
Quote:
Prioritize participation in a church or synagogue which teaches respect for authority. (emphasis added).

· Model a culture of respect within the home [i.e., show them who's boss!]

· Instead of boosting self-esteem, teach humility. Fight the contemporary cultural imperative to be “awesome”

While I am also uneasy about the spread of disrespect in the culture, I am not deluded about its sources. It may very well be that the book is a good one, and the the advice within it is sound, and there are practical solutions to some of the vexing problems of parenting, (see, e.g., New York Journal of Books). I even agree with the author's sentiments that
Quote:
“It is the parent’s responsibility not only to feed, clothe, and shelter the child,” writes the author, “but also to acculturate the child, to instill a sense of virtue and a longing for integrity, and to teach the meaning of life according to the parent’s best understanding.”
Kirkus reviews

But...

I always consider the source. When it is touted by conservative outlets who provide their own "spin"; when the author seeks support from those outlets, and touts the work of others who have a little more draconian view of the world, I get suspicious. It seems like just another example of taking something potentially worthy and giving it a political spin for nefarious purposes.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2