by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
08/18/17 10:17 PM
Hyde: Is Stanton the legit HR king if he hits 62? Even he wonders | Commentary
by Golem
08/18/17 07:00 PM
Trump resurrects tall tale about General Pershing and Muslims after Barcelona te
by jgw
08/18/17 06:51 PM
OJ Simpson Pop-Up Museum To Open In Chinatown
by Golem
08/18/17 04:09 PM
CONFIRMED: 2016 was Earth's hottest year in the record books
by pondering_it_all
08/18/17 01:40 AM
24 Novels That Are Crying Out To Be Turned Into A TV Series
by matthew
08/17/17 11:39 PM
Standing Ovations for Triumphant Dennis Prager, Conducting at Disney Hall
by Golem
08/17/17 06:06 PM
Forum Stats
6241 Members
57 Forums
16016 Topics
276212 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#289912 - 07/14/16 11:55 PM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Arresting people who identify themselves as reporters, destroying recordings, confiscating cameras and cellphones are all Destruction of Evidence and should get police officers fired and brought before the Grand Jury. This cannot be dismissed in a country with a 1st Amendment. Either we preserve evidence or we are a police state. If we need some federal laws to deal with this, then let's get them passed.

#289913 - 07/15/16 12:28 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
matthew Offline

'
"Should, should, SHOULD!!"

Yes, there is "should", and then there is reality!

"Either we preserve evidence or we are a police state."

Need more be said?

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#289914 - 07/15/16 12:30 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
So you are calling me both a bully-- and a fool?

I am not-- nor have I ever been a bully, but at times-- I will acknowledge I have been a fool. Not here--but look over there...........

Who hasn’t?

#289915 - 07/15/16 02:08 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Quote:
In a country as corrupt and dangerous as the USA, I think that anyone who would do so is a fool -- my personal opinion, of course.

Funny stuff Mateo. Funny funny stuff.

#289921 - 07/15/16 10:51 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Norm Stamper - 34 year Veteran Police Chief
(who, by the way, has recited several mea culpas for what happened in Seattle on his watch)

Hardly a left wing publication:

Time

Quote:
American policing is in crisis. According to an ongoing Guardian project that tallies deaths caused by law enforcement officers, the police have killed 571 citizens thus far this year in the United States. Of those killed, 136 were African Americans: Alton Sterling and Philando Castile are two of the most recent casualties in what has become a deadly epidemic.

Every day, some part of America experiences their police officers as racist, brutal and trigger-happy: an overly aggressive, militarized enemy of the people. For their part, police officers feel they are under siege, misunderstood, unfairly criticized and scapegoated for society’s ills. And particularly in light of the ambush killings of five Dallas police officers on July 7, we can expect them to become more and more alienated from the people they’ve been hired to serve.

This kind of polarization is never a good thing. But it’s not new. From the mid-nineteenth century, police departments have been tainted by recurring spams of corruption, brutality, racism and escalating militarism.

Everyone from President Obama to activists to law enforcement leaders have called for institutional change. But in the short term, the news cycle is unforgiving, and in the mid- to long-term, politicians come and go, big-city chiefs rarely last more than three years and activists struggle to keep the public engaged. So “reform” initiatives peter out and evaporate. Unless, of course, the citizens—and, pivotally, the federal government—refuse to let that happen.

Quote:
Second, let’s redefine community policing and reject any definition that does not carve out a powerful, sanctioned leadership role for a city or a county’s citizens. How about a 51-49 partnership with the community as senior partner? Citizens should be involved in all aspects of police operations, from hiring decisions to oversight of police misconduct and lethal-force investigations.

And third, however repellent to devotees of “home rule,” we must establish a meaningful and muscular role for the federal government in local policing. There are roughly 18,000 federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies—but only one constitution. The U.S. Constitution is binding on every cop and every department in the country. Yet, from huge urban centers to tiny rural communities, we continue to witness systemic police abuses of the most basic law of the land.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#289949 - 07/16/16 01:08 PM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Phil Ochs - I Kill Therefore I Am - Released in 1969 - Unfortunately still relevant Hmm

Quote:
Meet the king of cowboys, he rides a pale pony
He fights the bad boys brings them to their knees
He patrols the highways from the air
He keeps the country safe from long hair
I am the masculine American man
I kill therefore I am

I don't like the black man, for he doesn't know his place
Take the back of my hand or I'll spray you with my mace
I'm as brave as any man can be
I find my courage through chemistry

I kill therefore I am.
I don't like the students now, they don't have no respect
They don't like to work now, I think I'll wring their necks
They call me pig, although I'm underpaid
I'll show those faggots that I'm not afraid
I kill therefore I am

Farewell to the gangsters we don't need them anymore
We've got the police force, they're the ones who break the law
He's got a gun and he's a hater
He shoots first, he shoots later
I kill therefore I am

Phil Ochs - I Kill Therefore I Am Lyrics

Edited by Ezekiel (07/16/16 02:56 PM)

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#289950 - 07/16/16 02:23 PM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

From The Economist - Quantifying Black Lives Matter

Quote:
AS A teenager, Roland Fryer had “unpleasant” run-ins with police. Officers pointed guns at him six or seven times. Even now, the youngest African-American to get tenure at Harvard wonders why police shout loudly at him as soon as he forgets to indicate when driving. But when the economist began researching racial differences in the use of force by police officers, he did not want his own experience to prejudice his findings. To understand how cops work he joined them on the beat in New Jersey and Texas.

Then he collected a lot of data. In a paper published on July 11th, Mr Fryer crunched police-generated data on almost 5m cases from 2003 to 2013 as part of New York city’s Stop, Question and Frisk programme. He then analysed how non-lethal uses of force—such as pushing, kicking and baton-wielding—varied by race. Based on the raw data, blacks and Hispanics were more than 50% more likely to encounter police force than whites.

This in itself was not proof of racial discrimination, notes Mr Fryer. The gap might be a result of what happened during the encounters; blacks might have been more likely to resist. And yet, after any such differences were accounted for, the results still suggested bias. Blacks were 17.3% more likely to incur use of force after controlling for the characteristics of the civilian (such as age) and the encounter (such as if they ran away, complained or hit an officer). Analysis of a national survey of citizens’ contact with police found even greater disparities in police use of non-lethal force. Mr Fryer adds that blacks who were reported by cops as being perfectly compliant with police instructions during their interactions were still 21.1% more likely than whites to have some force used against them. This points to racial prejudice.

Emphasis is mine.

The Economist

Dostoevsky

#289967 - 07/17/16 06:50 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: Ezekiel]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

You have proven your point Ezekiel. Perhaps you should be appointed Chief of The Chief of Police.

Then ALL would be well.

No?

#289969 - 07/17/16 09:42 AM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Naw, not me.
But your avatar might do a better job...

Dostoevsky

#289995 - 07/18/16 10:17 PM Re: Who will protect Main Street, USA from militarized police forces? [Re: matthew]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

I know - it was Freddie Gray's fault for not fastening his seat-belt.
mad rolleyes sick

Quote:
Prosecutors in Baltimore have failed for the fourth time to secure a conviction in the Freddie Gray case, with Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams acquitting Lt. Brian Rice of all charges related to Gray's arrest and death.

Williams cleared Rice, 42, of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and misconduct in office in a downtown Baltimore courtroom on Monday. The judge had dismissed a second-degree assault charge at the trial's midpoint, and prosecutors dropped a second misconduct charge at the start.

Baltimore Sun

Dostoevsky

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Albertpkr, kechua, burkha, bikrami, inekifoh
6241 Registered Users
A2