by Golem
10/17/17 03:19 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
Charolottesville
by NW Ponderer
10/16/17 11:55 PM
The Surprising Way a Confederate Submarine Crew Died at the Hands of Its Own Wea
by logtroll
10/16/17 03:35 PM
Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and Ameri
by Ujest Shurly
10/15/17 06:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/15/17 06:24 AM
The Most Heinous Party Foul
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/13/17 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16071 Topics
276904 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#291694 - 08/28/16 11:16 PM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
First taxes. I remain convinced that the taxes cannot be changed or adjusted for anybody. The taxes for business, however, would be on profit, pure net profit, after all expenses and charges.

The common sense party would also try and do something about a congress which is, obviously and publicly, bought and paid for. There are no other excuses for such things as:
Not dealing with guns for the insane and children.
Not getting drug companies under control (only industrialized country not to do that).
Continuing to support ethanol which costs the environment more than just plain gas, is destructive and manages to artificially mess with the price of corn which, in turn, effect the costs of food,

#292669 - 09/16/16 08:57 PM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Media, by its own appraisal, saw fit to gift Trump with 2 (TWO) billion dollars of free exposure. I believe that this is how he got where he is today. As far as I am concerned media is responsible for Trump. I think that if media is going to go out of their way to support any given candidate with free exposure then they should also give other leading candidates the same 'favor'. To that end the common sense part would support a law that forced media to grant leading candidates the same free exposure as given to any other candidate for office. Seems fair to me!

I am sure there are many who would disagree with this one. The problem is that media proved, in 2016, that they can create a political candidate with massive, free, support to, I think, the detriment of our entire system. I think controlling media's urge to do this needs regulation and this is the best I can come up with.

#292684 - 09/17/16 03:09 PM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only way to get money out of politics is to elect a Democrat. What!? You say. Citizens United is a gift from the right wing. Until it is overturned, there is no hope of reforming campaign finance, and that can only happen with a more liberal (less right-wing) Justice. But...

Be careful what you wish for. Consider the "free" advertising that Trump got. How does one counter a demagogue?

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303498 - Yesterday at 07:32 PM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

I would add ethanol to the list of common sense things to fix. Its not good for the environment, its not good for your engine, it has raised the price of corn worldwide, and its costs us a pile of money and makes no sense.

Another addition would be to pass a law to force political advertisers to put their name(s) on their ads.

Citizens united. The decision was based on a 1971 (I think) decision (Buckley v. Valeo). Its also interesting that even the supremes said that the congress had the right to pass legislation to force them that politically advertise to put their real name(s) on it. Both parties have tried to fix this one, when they were in power, both failed.

A reminder. https://www.opensecrets.org/ will tell you who/what is spending the money on who.

Edited by jgw (Yesterday at 07:49 PM)

#303501 - Today at 01:49 AM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Ethanol is not bad in and of itself. It transports well, stores well, and works with a majority of internal combustion engines if they have been designed for it. Given an unlimited energy source like hydrogen fusion, we would have the energy needed to make ethanol from air and water, and the reaction products could go back into the atmosphere as air and water. It's just an easily portable fuel for vehicles of all sorts. You can even make an ethanol fuel cell to run an electric car.

Making it from corn is stupid. Making it from oil is stupid. Using it in engines that have gaskets incompatible with it is stupid. Mixing it with gas is stupid if you then use the E85 in cars with the incompatible gaskets.

Get rid of the stupid, get hydrogen fusion, and ethanol will be useful.

#303504 - Today at 03:05 AM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
Media, by its own appraisal, saw fit to gift Trump with 2 (TWO) billion dollars of free exposure. I believe that this is how he got where he is today. As far as I am concerned media is responsible for Trump. I think that if media is going to go out of their way to support any given candidate with free exposure then they should also give other leading candidates the same 'favor'. To that end the common sense part would support a law that forced media to grant leading candidates the same free exposure as given to any other candidate for office. Seems fair to me!

I am sure there are many who would disagree with this one. The problem is that media proved, in 2016, that they can create a political candidate with massive, free, support to, I think, the detriment of our entire system. I think controlling media's urge to do this needs regulation and this is the best I can come up with.

News is not a public service and hasn't been since the early 1980's so the reason WHY Trump GOT all that free airtime is because he generated RATINGS, which translates to news dept profits, which is the ONLY reason news depts exist today.

#303509 - Today at 06:25 PM Re: The Common Sense Party [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Jeffery;
You are absolutely right. Still, however, any way you cut it Trump is president because of the free media. The Russians may have been involved but, in the end, MEDIA is the villian in this one! The fix, obviously, is a return to a system of fair play where anytime media gives x amount of free exposure to one candidate they must give the same to all the other candidates as well. We used to have this and, then, things changed (not for the better).

its interesting. Over the years OUR congress has been stripping virtually all of these kinds of things (including healthcare, education, etc) in favor of whatever. My own favorite is to use PBS to have a system of giving the top 5 candidates a prime time hour each, for free, for 2 weeks before an election and ban all other political advertising. I know, that is pure wishful thinking and will not happen. Still, its sometimes nice to do a bit of that. My reasoning on this one not happening is that I am not sure our media could survive without ads from politics and drugs)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2