by pdx rick
05:26 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by pdx rick
05:22 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
03:42 PM
White-Owned Restaurants Shamed for Serving Ethnic Food: It's Cultural Appropriat
by Ken Condon
05:47 AM
How is Trump President?!
by NW Ponderer
06:45 PM
The 4 new reasons why more than half of Americans disapprove of President Trump
by pondering_it_all
01:20 AM
Trump Forum
by NW Ponderer
05/25/17 10:53 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/25/17 10:35 PM
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by jgw
05/25/17 05:47 PM
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by pondering_it_all
05/25/17 06:53 AM
We Ranked the 40 Greatest Star Wars Moments
by Golem
05/25/17 12:36 AM
fix the telemarketing thing
by pdx rick
05/24/17 05:27 PM
15 Worst Star Trek Episodes Of All Time
by pondering_it_all
05/23/17 06:05 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
05/23/17 03:13 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
05/22/17 12:33 AM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15914 Topics
274786 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293634 - 10/07/16 01:45 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Jim D (FreeThinker)
I guess what I really wanted to say was that I learned a lot more from the differences than the sameness.

The problem these days is that the differences are basic perceptions of reality at an order of magnitude above ordinary differences of opinion.

I put this as a result of easy internet "communication" and the willingness of many people to lie and twist facts and information with no ethics or conscience, while refusing civil discussion.

Also, on the internet, it is very easy to spout off anything with no accountability, especially on the discussion-less opinion formats. There is apparently a deep seated need in humans to spout off, though in non-virtual settings manners and respect have customarily provided moderately effective sideboards. But certain characters in recent decades (Limbaugh, et al.) have sanctioned the shedding of 'political correctness', which, when combined with the anonymous freedom of the internet, has encouraged rudeness and shouting at one another.

One of them, Donald Trump, decided that he could run for President in that vein. It is disturbing that he is having so much success at it.

In actual discussion where differences of opinion are the subject, any resolution is grounded in facts. If there is a difference of facts, then that must be the core of the discussion until the facts are agreed upon. Opinions without facts are not discussable.

#293647 - 10/07/16 03:46 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Aurora Ohio
Referencing part of NWP's signature line "A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer." is one of my favorites. I can change my mind on a subject if that is followed. Also a John Maynard Keynes quote has always influenced me: "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?

I love good arguments, unfortunately I can not deliver as often as I like..

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. [] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2