by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 10:02 PM
Fear, Hysteria and Fake News in Homer, Alaska
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:38 PM
Lynch elementary schools will lose the 'Lynch' due to racial implications
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Nero, the Execution of Peter and Paul, and the Biggest Fake News in Early Christ
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
Trump and Russia
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 01:26 AM
What are the climate change deniers scared of?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 12:19 AM
John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard
by matthew
07/22/17 10:07 PM
Was That Racist?
by Greger
07/22/17 03:00 PM
Round Table for July 2017
by matthew
07/22/17 02:24 AM
Public Option is the ONLY Option
by pondering_it_all
07/21/17 02:20 AM
Reign of Idiots
by matthew
07/20/17 10:18 PM
BREAKING!! Don Jr admits to collusion
by jgw
07/19/17 07:02 PM
The end of endless growth
by pondering_it_all
07/18/17 05:45 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
07/17/17 06:15 PM
Greenwald: Donald Trump Jr.'s Emails Are Not A "Smoking Gun" Of Anything; Democr
by pdx rick
07/17/17 04:45 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15978 Topics
275816 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#293587 - 10/06/16 07:10 PM A Lamentation
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Aurora Ohio
Over the last six years or so I have only posted here four or five times (there have been a variety of reasons.) CHB was my first and favorite forum, it is still my favorite. I have been watching CHB over the years but not posting. "Why?" you may ask.

There seems to be a lack of diversity of opinion. I really enjoyed the back and forth when most of the spectrum of opinions was represented. Maybe it's a sign of the times, every one seems to need their own echo chamber and cannot handle opposing views. So they go off for reinforcement. At times the conversations here started to resemble a circle jerk with no new opinion or insight just self congratulation for being clever.

I do not mean to be critical, these are just some jumbled thoughts that I had to express.

Oh, and by the way, I intend to start posting again now that I am retired.

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

#293588 - 10/06/16 07:24 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Aurora Ohio
I guess what I really wanted to say was that I learned a lot more from the differences than the sameness.

It's like, I learn best from my mistakes, if I always do it correctly it is debatable whether or not I know what I am doing.

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

#293593 - 10/06/16 09:32 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Well, Jim, welcome back, and I hope you do continue to post whether it be to agree or disagree with us.

You can't really blame people for wanting to hang out with others who feel and think mostly the same way.

#293599 - 10/06/16 10:35 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Disagree, please! Frequently!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#293601 - 10/06/16 11:17 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
RR is far friendlier than a lot of the other sites I've lurked. I think one thing that those of the generally opposing view frequently get is here a request, in a post, for sources, (I've gotten a few quiet nudges from management about that, myself} and it is a request that is frequently ignored (not by me, honest).

And it's not like we don't ever find fault with our own. Occasionally a couple of us who agree on most things will get a little het up with each other. And sometime we tear into our liberal politicians. I wanted to bite Pres. Obama's head off when he kept giving the Republicans what they wanted in order to pass affordable care and they kept lock-step voting it down. Compromise after compromise, until we got what we got.

Excuse me, I think I'm getting a little het up.

#293604 - 10/06/16 11:30 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am so in line with the comment! I get so much out of being challenged in my assumptions. I have frequently invited those with different views to join us here. Some have come, but few have stayed, preferring to spend time only with those that support their view. I can get testy, but I will always respect the right to hold a different viewpoint. I never ask more than I allow for myself - I may ask for citations, or support, or challenge a view, but I am always willing to provide the same in return. Always. Hold me to that!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#293607 - 10/06/16 11:40 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Welcome back! We need more informed opinions here, but actually we do have some differences of opinion. I can understand all viewpoints, even if I personally think some are wrong. Myself, I am a very opinionated moderate pragmatist.

#293612 - 10/07/16 12:42 AM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
I don't think anyone here ever was desirous of an echo chamber.
Fire away when ready, anybody with any opinion is welcome and always has been.
Glad you're back!

#293619 - 10/07/16 02:13 AM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
anybody with any opinion is welcome and always has been

Just don't be surprised if people disagree with you and bring some pretty powerful arguments to support their ideas.

In particular, opinions are fine. But if you claim something is true or false just because you want it to be, we are very good at recognizing objective facts. If that collides with your view of reality then you will not be happy here.

#293631 - 10/07/16 12:58 PM Re: A Lamentation [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
We can and have had some lively discussions and disagreements. I think there is a certain consensus, as is wont amongst thinking people, about the election cycle - although even there we have had some points of contention.
Even our veteran conservative, Golem, can't bring himself to support Trump. And our newest member from the conservative ranks, katydid, while she seems to support the Drumpf, is not very insistent on it and prefers, as a clear and noble sign of intelligence, to bring up specific issues.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2