by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16715 Topics
290975 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#295143 - 11/01/16 09:00 PM Retirement Issues - Activities
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Rafting on Phelgathon
Now that you are retired or looking at it what sort of activities do you do?

My wife said I could not retire until I had a plan to keep myself busy. I was ready to retire last year but I did not have a plan. I developed a plan earlier this year, so I was able to retire.

I needed to improve my fitness level so I developed an exercise plan. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do weight training, stretching and High Intensity Interval Training. This takes about 90 minutes in the morning. On Saturday mornings I do simulated road work on my cycle for about an hour. I needed this because my job was literally killing me. I spent six hours a day in my office and two hours in the lab. My office was about 30 feet from the lunch room where we had all of our vending machines. At least I was drinking only water. I am verging on Type II diabetes and have had a history of high blood pressure. I can control those issues, my RA is something I have learned to deal with. Although the symptoms seem to be lessening with abundant exercise.

I've been able to cycling several times a week when the weather co-operated.

I've also been studying nutrition. On the day I retired (7/19/2016) I was at 229 lbs. As of yesterday AM I was at 211 lbs.

I have a number of computer projects on which I am working. I have house projects that I plan to work on during the winter months.

I told my wife that I am planning to treat retirement like vacation until I get bored. Has not happened yet.

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

--Mahatma Gandhi

#295323 - 11/04/16 06:40 PM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
My wife kept threatening to buy me a piano of some kind and she finally made good on that threat.
After 35 years of not playing, I'm jamming again, and Lordy Lordy do I suck!
But apparently I didn't suck badly enough because my cousin invited me to jam on stage with his band when we were in Denver a month ago.

Now I just have to find a bunch of old farts with grey hair and big stomachs who love playing blues.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#295432 - 11/06/16 05:07 PM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I retired two years ago, and, physically, it has not been good for me. Unlike you, I've added 12-15 lbs since retirement. When I first retired I used a personal trainer, but that got expensive fast (but kept my weight down and my wind up). I then joined Anytime Fitness with my wife, and had a routine which I followed for about 6 months. She stopped going almost immediately, and I am not good about going alone. Then I joined the YMCA with my son, and we went 3 days a week for nearly a year. That was excellent for me for both physical and emotional reasons. Since he started working, however, he wouldn't go with me, and I wasn't commuting. I'm finding I'm becoming physically unfit.

The other activities I've been engaged in have been primarily travel-oriented. We bought that RV and have traveled nearly 20,000 miles in it. We also go to Disney World twice a year. The reality, though, is I am getting restless. That's why I got my CDL, and started driving with a neighbor/friend, but that has been on hiatus for a month or more.

I'm now exploring some other activities. I am mentoring a kid through the Washington Youth Academy (that has been very good). I am going to sign up for guitar lessons, rejoin Anytime Fitness, get my motorcycles out on the road, and get back to bicycling. I need to do that, or I am going to go nuts. Retirement should be a time to get to know me better, but I've not been good enough about that - except here on RR. Unfortunately, the election has been a HUGE distraction.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#296213 - 11/14/16 09:44 PM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
After 35 years of not playing, I'm jamming again, and Lordy Lordy do I suck!

I don't think so. Beside, those folks dancing did not know the difference. I am envious because I can not play at all.

--Mahatma Gandhi

#296214 - 11/14/16 09:49 PM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
enthusiast

Now that the winter months are rolling around I am going to look for a continuing education class or some sort of a community education class to take.

I do not need any computer classes (I could probably teach most of them any way) what would really interest me is to learn how to weld, as in welding metals. I am not sure why that interests me but after 37 years of being a chemist I would like to do something more creative.

--Mahatma Gandhi

#296215 - 11/14/16 09:56 PM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
My retirement plan is to die with boots on. IOW not going to retire if I can help it.

#296224 - 11/15/16 12:37 AM Re: Retirement Issues - Activities [Re: Phil Hoskins]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Phil Hoskins
My retirement plan is to die with boots on. IOW not going to retire if I can help it.

I do not plan to quite living, I am just embarking on a new chapter in life. There is so much that I can do now that I am not shackled to a large corporation.

--Mahatma Gandhi

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2