by Golem
10/17/17 03:19 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
Charolottesville
by NW Ponderer
10/16/17 11:55 PM
The Surprising Way a Confederate Submarine Crew Died at the Hands of Its Own Wea
by logtroll
10/16/17 03:35 PM
Trump's war on Americans
by Greger
10/16/17 02:06 AM
Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and Ameri
by Ujest Shurly
10/15/17 06:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/15/17 06:24 AM
The Most Heinous Party Foul
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/13/17 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16071 Topics
276898 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#297051 - 12/05/16 06:36 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas

Fake news, especially the state sanctioned kind coming from Russia, is a national security threat with global implications.

I'd be more worried about the fake news coming from the State Sanctioned MSM right here in the good ol' U.S. of A.
That kind has been known to start wars that are still going on as we speak. They have destabilized entire regions of the globe. They could, under a new management, even start a nuclear war. That, my friend, scares the bejeesus outta me.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297069 - 12/06/16 10:12 AM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Welp it didn't snow, and Sammy and I mede it home safely. Same game-plan for Wednesday: Take Sammy to work along my now already packed suitcase of three days of clothes too. Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny.

#297070 - 12/06/16 10:34 AM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Weird we don't have a thread on the Walter Scott killing. It seems like something we would have documented and discussed. Hmm

Anyway, it's a shame that a jury, seeing a black man being shot in the back five times, couldn't decide if it was murder. cry

#297076 - 12/06/16 11:24 AM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Weird we don't have a thread on the Walter Scott killing. It seems like something we would have documented and discussed. Hmm

Anyway, it's a shame that a jury, seeing a black man being shot in the back five times, couldn't decide if it was murder. cry

Seems like one juror held out - what is worse is that POC are already calling the verdict before the jury even deliberates. This is criminal and the only hope is that the movements grow and become stronger as a result of this aberration.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297120 - 12/08/16 05:17 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
In other news, rock and roll history is about to be made once again.
Before my business partner killed himself in 1994, he had gone around borrowing money here and there in a desperate effort to keep his financial ship afloat and, apparently at one point left some of the original AMPEX 2-inch videotape reels of the 1972 Leon Russell concert as collateral.
When I re-released the concert on DVD all I had to work with were the 3/4 inch Umatic SP sub-masters, as the original reels and the 1-inch dubs had mysteriously gone missing from his storage.
In 2009, a man in Malibu contacted me online, saying he had something that might interest me. He was the guy Alan borrowed money from, and he had been keeping the reels in the hopes of getting paid back and didn't even know Alan had committed suicide.

I've cleaned up what is hopefully the last of Alan's messes and now have the reels once again, and they are up in Burbank being transferred to digital HD. And boy oh boy are they gonna look great.

Raising the considerable sum of money required to get them out of hock has consumed all of my working time for the last year or more.
It was a high price to pay but well worth it.
Once I get these on backup hard drive, I can exhale.

I only wish this had happened long before Leon left us.

#297122 - 12/08/16 05:41 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I often despair that modern technology is wiping out decades of important information. I have a cassette collection and an album collection that are virtually unusable anymore, although I now have the systems in place to transfer them to digital media. The time involved in that process, though, is staggering.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#297123 - 12/08/16 05:48 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

I have over 8000 photos I've taken over the years with a wide variety of film cameras.
I began the process of digitalizing them 12 years ago. Up to now, I've just barely made a dent.
The cost of having someone else do it is extremely prohibitive. I have negatives of all sizes, and therein lies the problem. You need specific equipment to digitalize the negatives of each size. Maybe I'll finish before I kick. Then, my heirs can throw them out LOL

Dostoevsky

#297124 - 12/08/16 06:40 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Ezekiel]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Then, my heirs can throw them out

Something we're going to lose in this digital age is the thousands upon thousands of actual photographs that have come down to us over the years. Printed photos were stored away in boxes and albums and passed down as family members died off. Old computers, hard drives, flash drives and phones that now contain the images are tossed without a second thought. Literally millions of images are stored in photobucket and other cloud based accounts whose owners will eventually die without leaving passwords to access them. More pictures are now being taking than ever before with smartphones rather than cameras and fewer of them will ever see the light of day or be saved for future generations.

#297130 - 12/08/16 08:14 PM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

I completely agree. Results of the disposable culture. It is a shame.

Dostoevsky

#297142 - 12/09/16 01:50 AM Re: Reader Rant Rounddtable for December 2016 [Re: Greger]
matthew Offline

'
People foolishly call this the "Information Age" -- I call it the "Holocaust of Information."

Human languages are disappearing like summer snow, same with cultures, domestic plant and animal varieties, and most disturbingly, vast numbers of wild species in this present "Sixth Mass Extinction."

The amount of information in species genetics and organization of the biosphere dwarf the sum total of all human information which has ever existed.

Now, the "Age of Lies and Disinformation" -- that I could agree with !!

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2