Current Topics
Trump resurrects tall tale about General Pershing and Muslims after Barcelona te
by rporter314
0 seconds ago
Round Table for August 2017
by pdx rick
Today at 08:32 AM
Charolottesville
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:42 AM
CONFIRMED: 2016 was Earth's hottest year in the record books
by pondering_it_all
Today at 01:40 AM
24 Novels That Are Crying Out To Be Turned Into A TV Series
by matthew
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Standing Ovations for Triumphant Dennis Prager, Conducting at Disney Hall
by Golem
Yesterday at 06:06 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
Yesterday at 02:00 AM
Anonymous declares war on the alt-right in new video
by pondering_it_all
08/16/17 11:10 PM
STLV17: Brannon Braga On How Kirk Should Have Died, ĎStar Trek: Enterpriseí Regr
by Golem
08/16/17 03:16 PM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
08/16/17 02:46 AM
Nazism versus Communism
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/15/17 05:05 AM
The 13 Alfred Hitchcock movies you need to watch in your lifetime
by NW Ponderer
08/15/17 02:31 AM
'Bonnie and Clyde' at 50: Ultraviolent gangster film changed American cinema (ph
by Golem
08/15/17 02:23 AM
If You Are Married to a Trump Supporter, Divorce Them
by pondering_it_all
08/14/17 03:43 AM
shutdown
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/14/17 03:00 AM
Forum Stats
6241 Members
57 Forums
16008 Topics
276152 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 65 66 >
Topic Options
#297331 - 12/14/16 06:18 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: Ezekiel]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
the only assumption made was the status of current situation will remain about the same ergo my comments would be appropriate

you are hoping the situation will change adversely in a dramatic fashion which will influence future elections. So you made 2 assumptions
1. bad things will happen ( and let me say i suspect nothing good will happen based on probable policies of his cabinet picks but not withstanding there may be a reasonably high probability of an economic contraction ahead which would contribute to your assumption)
2. and most importantly and pay attention .... you assume it will change peoples minds. I am far less certain than you that the rampant ignorance of the American voter would suddenly be elevated into reasonable thinking

may all your hopes not rest on things out of your control

#297332 - 12/14/16 06:35 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: rporter314]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: rporter314
the only assumption made was the status of current situation will remain about the same ergo my comments would be appropriate

WHY???????
Bad assumption, as I said previously.
BTW - it has nothing to do with changing people's minds. It has to do with wreaking havoc. People don't need to be convinced things are bad when they actually are bad.
Nonetheless, I am not sure what will happen as you cannot be sure either. I think the economic consequences will be dire through pure ineptitude. But I could be wrong. He may do a great job (now that it about as likely as winning the Powerball, but, it does happen).

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297335 - 12/14/16 08:29 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
old hand

i think the argument you are making is, if and when the situation becomes dire economically or through foreign relations, the implication is it will change peoples minds and they will vote for Dems.

could be, but i won't assume that to be the case

#297336 - 12/14/16 08:35 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: rporter314]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: rporter314
i think the argument you are making is, if and when the situation becomes dire economically or through foreign relations, the implication is it will change peoples minds and they will vote for Dems.

could be, but i won't assume that to be the case

I don't assume. But see it as a possibility. If things get bad enough they'll vote for anything but what they currently have.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297339 - 12/14/16 10:34 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
matthew Offline

'
We are only a Reichstag Fire or a 9/11 away from draconian legislation (the Republican majorities will not stop Trump) that will turn our already half-militarized USA into a full-fledged police state. If Trump packs the courts with his appointments, you can kiss the Constitution (such as it is) goodbye.

Anyway, that's what Hitler did, and Trump has clearly studied his German progenitor's playbook.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#297341 - 12/15/16 04:26 AM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
In 1998, the Right was finishing up the last of nearly three dozen domestic terror attacks on innocent Americans. In 2001, the Right warned that The Patriot Act would turn us into a police state. In 2008, the Right blamed Obama for trying to do so.
Now that we are facing a near certain probability of being turned into exactly that, the Right is now embracing Putin.

Vladimir Putinís Popularity Skyrocketing Among Republicans

I think the pattern is sufficient to make the announcement:
The American Right hates democracy and wants a fascist police state.

Americans are supposed to kill fascists.
We took pride in doing so seventy years ago in WW2.
Now we give them safe haven.

#297343 - 12/15/16 10:20 AM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Police state: whenever the rights and grievances of workers were the issue the U.S. govt. ALWAYS reacted like a police state. The ruling class will defend its profits with any and all means at its disposal. Trump has only laid bare that reality. He stripped away the euphemistic double speak and basically said: "Yeah, this is who we are. And we will crush anyone who dares threaten it."

Dostoevsky

#297344 - 12/15/16 01:53 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
old hand

while listening to an interview with Rep Blackburn (TN), ultra right wing representative, it struck me as she apologized for everything Mr Trump was doing and will do, she has become a part of the creation of a mythos surrounding him ... he is a man of the people .... he can do not wrong .... he will etc etc

Pres Reagan .... look out you have been replaced

#297346 - 12/15/16 05:12 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Remember GW Bush? Like Trump he lost the popular vote but won enough electoral votes to take control. He also assumed a mandate to govern as an extreme right winger. He also appointed ideological neophytes. Despite a disastrous economy and two wars... he was reelected. I truly fear for my country. Do not expect electors to bail us out.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#297347 - 12/15/16 06:07 PM Re: Trump Forum [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Do not expect electors to bail us out.

I too donít expect the EC to change their votes. I think that would just further serve to sow chaos into our already severely divided nation.

Part of me wants to see Trump go down as a colossal failure who wrecked our nation, yet the other side asks me if I really want to see that happen. Would my (and others) personal schadenfreude be worth the destruction of our nation?

At this time I really canít answer that.

Page 3 of 66 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 65 66 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Kaine), 47 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Albertpkr, kechua, burkha, bikrami, inekifoh
6241 Registered Users
A2