by NW Ponderer
Today at 01:08 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:20 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:11 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 01:53 AM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
06/23/17 04:56 AM
The truth - finally
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/23/17 12:53 AM
Want to do something about global warming?
by logtroll
06/22/17 12:29 PM
Should Star Trek Sequels Return to the Prime Timeline?
by Golem
06/22/17 01:46 AM
On Confirmation Bias (or why facts don't matter)
by jgw
06/21/17 09:53 PM
The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals (1972)
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/21/17 09:35 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15948 Topics
275283 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297848 - 01/04/17 10:14 AM Serious question re: Trump
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

How can we be expected to show respect to Trump when he doesn't show respect for the Office he's about to hold, nor does he show respect for our Intelligence Community.

We are in way different territory from previous Presidencies and the RR rules were appropriate for that point in time.

I dare say that in these times, we should show Trump as much respect as he shows the United States government and his Office in particular.

Your thoughts? Hmm

#297851 - 01/04/17 11:57 AM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Loc: New York
We don't argue with fascists, they are not going to listen. We fight them, every inch of the way.

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297854 - 01/04/17 12:59 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: Ezekiel]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel
We don't argue with fascists, they are not going to listen. We fight them, every inch of the way.

I know I will fight them every inch of the way. mad

#297856 - 01/04/17 01:41 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

I know I will fight them every inch of the way. mad

That makes two of us mad

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

#297859 - 01/04/17 04:33 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is entirely possible to disagree without being disagreeable; to resist without being reprehensible. One can, for instance, point out the lies, directly, rather than labeling the liar as such. Donald Trump has a casual association with reality. When he speaks, he produces the most bald-faced of lies, with foreknowledge of their falsity. His agenda, to the extent it is discernable, is anti-American. His cronies are misguided at best, and dishonest in the main. Nothing I have said violates any guideline that I am aware of, yet accurately conveys the loathing I have for the man or anything he stands for. I am convinced that his administration will be the worst in modern history. I'm not convinced a man of his character can, nor should, complete his term. Unfortunately, his Vice President represents as dangerous a prospect as he does. Given his cabinet choices, outright hostility is fully justified.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#297860 - 01/04/17 04:47 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
Ujest Shurly Offline
stranger

Loc: Michigan, USA
That is a question every military person has, the answer is simple, not liked but simple. Respect the Office and that for which it stands. Address the holder of that office by the proper title. It does not mean you have to like anything the holder does or says. It goes further for the military, but for us civilians, we can respect and oppose the individual.

So, I will address Mr Trump as Presdent-elect and as President come this Jan 20th.

Excuse me now, I have to go throw up, my colon has a blockage causing a back up.

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#297862 - 01/04/17 06:03 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
Ezekiel Offline
old hand

Respect, in my book, is earned. Random name calling usually does not result in any form of edification. As such, since he has not earned anything at all, Trump is what I call him.
Fascist. Racist. Con man. Liar. The list is endless. Those qualifiers can be attached to actual behavior. And when they are, I see no reason to mince words. A lying president is no less a liar. A fascist president is no less a fascist. Etc.
Respect? I doubt that very much.

Dostoevsky

#297865 - 01/04/17 08:25 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
I doubt we will have to deal with a President Trump for very long. He has a very short attention span. Either he won't be capable of acting the part for that long and quit, get impeached, or be assassinated. POTUS has a huge set of constraints and Trump doesn't handle constraints well. He's already ditching the press corp, skipping briefings, tweeting about the intelligence agencies, etc.

I'd put the odds of a full four year term with none of the above at 10%. I think the odds of assassination are very high: Hijacking the Republican Party and getting elected is a huge troll (in the internet sense, not the fairy tale sense). The person who does it is an even bigger troll, and there have to be hundreds of people who want that kind of notoriety. (Not me, of course, merely an observation.)

#297868 - 01/04/17 09:24 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: Ezekiel]
Ujest Shurly Offline
stranger

Loc: Michigan, USA
Respect, in my book, is earned. Random name calling usually does not result in any form of edification. As such, since he has not earned anything at all, Trump is what I call him.
Fascist. Racist. Con man. Liar. The list is endless. Those qualifiers can be attached to actual behavior. And when they are, I see no reason to mince words. A lying president is no less a liar. A fascist president is no less a fascist. Etc.
Respect? I doubt that very much.

With President-elect Trump; respect is the Gordian Knot many must deal with, one the a swing of a sword can not solve. The solution I know, is I respect the office and position.

Mr. Trump is all you mention and more and I total agree that President-elect Trump is a Fascist, Raciest, Miysoginist, a Sociopathic Compulsive Liar (is that even possible?) and so much more. Nonetheless, come January 20th he will be our President until removed by nature, Congress or the vote.

p.s. Even Tricky Dick, the criminal President, deserved and received the respect due the Office.

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#297872 - 01/04/17 09:47 PM Re: Serious question re: Trump [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Given his cabinet choices, outright hostility is fully justified.

Given who Trump is, outright hostility is justified as well. I'm tired of my Liberal brethren being spineless and going along being nice and being copacetic.

Fight back! Fight back!!!!! mad

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2