by NW Ponderer
Today at 01:08 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:20 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:11 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 01:53 AM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
06/23/17 04:56 AM
The truth - finally
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/23/17 12:53 AM
Want to do something about global warming?
by logtroll
06/22/17 12:29 PM
Should Star Trek Sequels Return to the Prime Timeline?
by Golem
06/22/17 01:46 AM
On Confirmation Bias (or why facts don't matter)
by jgw
06/21/17 09:53 PM
The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals (1972)
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/21/17 09:35 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15948 Topics
275283 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#297912 - 01/05/17 06:51 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel
Backfire much?

Exactly and that was a GOP Rep who asked the question. Clearly R's are not listening to their constituents. Hmm

But wait! There's more!! smile

Turns out that Kaiser Permanente did six focus groups of Trump supporters only and it turns out that they like ObamaCare - but just not the first three syllables of what it's called:

Quote:
Though the participants did not agree on everything, they expressed remarkably similar opinions on many health care questions. They were not, by and large, angry about their health care; they were simply afraid they will be unable to afford coverage for themselves and their families. They trusted Mr. Trump to do the right thing but were quick to say that they didnt really know what he would do, and were worried about what would come next.

The money quote: cool

Quote:
{These focus groups] expressed animosity for drug and insurance companies, and sounded as much like Bernie Sanders supporters as Trump voters.

There is hope, after all. Hmm

#297914 - 01/05/17 07:27 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
There is hope, after all.

No, no there is not. I expect Congress to steamroll right through this one and repeal without any plans for replacement. But they will push it off two to four years because they are cowards and don't want to face the immediate wrath it would incur. They will take it away little by little and voters will forget they ever had it and will forget that Republicans took it away from them.

#297915 - 01/05/17 07:34 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Greger
I expect Congress to steamroll right through this one and repeal without any plans for replacement. But they will push it off two to four years because they are cowards and don't want to face the immediate wrath it would incur. They will take it away little by little and voters will forget they ever had it and will forget that Republicans took it away from them.

Make America Sick Again

#297924 - 01/05/17 10:15 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
There already is a proven Republican healthcare access plan. It was called RomneyCare and it worked pretty well in Massachusetts until ACA superseded it. And it has the BIG advantage of being named after a Republican. It has all the features Trump said he would keep, so he would probably sign a federal RomneyCare bill.

Of course it IS almost identical to ACA, since plans that work need certain features. Both ACA and RomneyCare had all of those features, but RomneyCare had a larger penalty for people who went without insurance. (Which is actually very Republican because it's "individual responsibility".) Probably an improvement!

When you bother to think about it, all of those people who complained about the mandate penalty are people who want the government to supply them with health care for free. In other words, welfare leaches.

All Republicans need to do is jump on this in a big way, repeal and replace (with essentially the same thing), and their biggest problem goes away. They don't have to worry about midterm elections or 20 million people marching to Washington to string them up.

#297928 - 01/05/17 10:47 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget just said that repealing Obamacare may cost the country $350Bn.

CNN Money

Think the Republicans give two (QUACK!!!) about ballooning the national debt? Now that they are in complete and total power?

#297939 - 01/06/17 01:58 AM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida

Deficit spending and the national debt are only an issue when Democrats are in power.

#297941 - 01/06/17 02:25 AM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Greger

Deficit spending and the national debt are only an issue when Democrats are in power.

Yeah...no kidding. rolleyes

#298069 - 01/12/17 08:53 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
It's done now.

In one night, the GOP voted to take away these 6 essential health benefits

Congress.gov

Some won't get the point until it actually goes to the gavel.
I'm still hearing people tell me that I am worried about nothing, and too paranoid, and "they would NEVER take away Karen's health care" and "they would NEVER EVER take away your son's health care!"

Sadly, this willing disbelief is exactly how corrupt tyrants manage to get away with committing the most horrific atrocities in history.
The public is conditioned to think "NO one would EVER do such a thing!!!"
But they WOULD, they CAN, and they WILL.
And time and time again, the same people are in shock when they realize the extent to which they've been lied to and damaged.
And time and time again the same people DISMISS the ones who see it coming EARLY as paranoids and cassandras.

And once it's gone, it's not coming back either, not in my lifetime, not in my wife's lifetime and not in my children's lifetime. We will have to hit rock bottom first.

The measure allows the GOP to pass final legislation in the Senate with a 51-vote simple majority instead of the 60 votes required for most legislation.

#298072 - 01/12/17 10:14 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I didn't read the citation but most reports have that over 10 years, thus an average of $35B/yr

chump change and for conservatives when hypocrisy is the constraint ,,, there is nothing to see, so move on

#298073 - 01/12/17 10:29 PM Re: R's need time to replace (when they repeal) ObamaCare. Does never work for you? [Re: pdx rick]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Jeff

when conservatives first proposed the R&R procedure, they were asked what their replacement was ... invariably it was silence until pressed it became the states would implement programs

i heard Sen Ron Johnson talk about the replacement plan and he finally admitted it included the states doing something.

First I still am not clear how buying insurance across state lines would lower premiums i.e. premiums are dependent on health care payouts which are determined by healthcare cost drivers which will continually rise ergo the cost of insurance will increase but conservative believe in a different math than I know.

Second they consistently mention the states as implementing some plan with the help of the federal government. The problem is not all states have evolved economically equal. Many of the states which need it most can not afford to fund a plan.

My conclusion is they have no plan which can actually replace current plans. They have no plan which addresses the fundamental reason for ACA i.e. bending the impact of future federal budgetary healthcare costs. Simply moving new plans off the books does not do the trick.

It does not look good

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2