by pondering_it_all
Today at 06:59 AM
The Hoarding of the American Dream
by pondering_it_all
Today at 03:38 AM
Round Table For September 2017
by pdx rick
Today at 03:00 AM
With Obamacare repeal less likely, opponents of expansion in the states have jus
by pondering_it_all
09/21/17 11:34 PM
Why America’s 1994 deal with North Korea failed – and what Trump canlearnfromit
by matthew
09/20/17 09:05 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/20/17 05:24 PM
What Trump Really Eats For Dinner, According to Chef David Burke
by pdx rick
09/20/17 03:39 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 10:46 PM
The Broken Government
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 10:39 PM
The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/18/17 06:46 PM
The Equifax Hack
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 12:49 AM
Twin Peaks
by jgw
09/17/17 08:20 PM
Trump Admin parsing words on Climate Change
by pondering_it_all
09/17/17 06:19 AM
China-Like Wages Now Part Of U.S. Employment Boom
by pondering_it_all
09/16/17 08:53 PM
LA City Council votes to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day
by pondering_it_all
09/16/17 08:49 PM
Forum Stats
6247 Members
57 Forums
16044 Topics
276600 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#299066 - 02/26/17 07:07 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
(And I peeked...)

I was too lazy to go back and look at that blog post. I wonder now if the lower temp might have improved the otherwise "too soft" texture.
My 90 year old neighbor with no teeth really loved it. He hasn't been able to chew most beef for years.

PIA, personally I'd have to say I like corned beef or its smoked version pastrami better too. But that's comparing apples and oranges.
St. Paddy's day is rolling up on us and it's time to cook a corned beef brisket. I've only been using the sous vide method for a couple of months but I'm hoping that cooking the corned beef this way will yield something more akin to the deli version rather than the boiled to death, overcooked corned beef we are most accustomed to in home cooking. Traditionally Jewish style deli corned beef is steamed not boiled. Pastrami is the same cut of meat but is smoked after it's steamed.

#299067 - 02/26/17 07:24 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: logtroll]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: Greger
I cooked mine sous vide at 158 degrees for 24 hours I think...mighta been 170 degrees...

Knowing you, and your penchant for pushing the envelope, I'm pretty sure you biled that po' thang at 170!

(And I peeked...)

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com

This recipe used 158 F. and cooked it for 36 hours! Man, talk about coddling! They were using it for taco filling, but I wonder if it had the structural stability for slicing as opposed to "pulled tongue"? Maybe if it was well chilled it could be sliced for vinaigrette.

Found this recipe for tongue vinaigrette, that I discovered is a popular South American treat!

http://www.amsterbiter.com/beef-tongue-vinaigrette/

I could not get the link thingie to work on this.
I would sous vide it without the veggies, and then use whatever variation of vinaigrette that that appeels to your taste buds, that were already peeled off.

As Greger correctly warned, tongue is high fat, with about 19g./3oz serving, with pulled pork running about 12g. Sorry for mixing metric and English units.

#299068 - 02/26/17 09:01 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

I like this vinaigrette idea. The biggest problem with cooking a tongue is that there is so much of it and it is so rich. The vinaigrette could be parked in the fridge for a week or so while I recovered from gorging on it right after it was cooked.
The kid who lives with me wanted no part of it. She's not a squeamish eater by any means and took a braunschweiger sandwich for her lunch today, but tongue was just too much for her Millenial sensitivity.

Do you sous vide Tat? I can't say enough good about this cooking method. The steaks are positively out of this world.

#299069 - 02/26/17 09:46 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
TatumAH Offline

Hi Greger,

Yes indeed, I am a dedicated sous vide addict! I use a thermostatic controlled stirred immersion heater that can be used in various sized pots, even up to my enameled canning pot. I havent tried any times longer than 4 hours, but if I do I will insulate the pot in a Styrofoam ice chest or such to save energy. I even used it in canning to try to keep pickles from getting soft, by keeping the temp down to 175F. for a longer time. It didnt work very well, but you cant expect purrfect crunchy pickles when you start with overripe cukes. It was worth a try. Those cukes can really surprise you with a large crop of big cukes hidden under the leaves.

When serving sous vide chicken breasts, after lightly searing them on the barbie, worried guests unaware of sous vide technology often ask: Are you sure this is cooked enough to be safe? They have never had a safe juicey chicken breast before. I suppose even chicken tartar could be made safely, as disgusting as that sounds!

They know I am VERY conservative with food safety, particularly chicken, that I handle like the high grade level III pathogen that it is!

I havent used it on steak, but I am pretty good watching them to a rare-medium rare. I have wondered about sous vide hamburgers, as there is no way to make them safe with store-bought ground beef (unless irradiated) without immolating them. I bet a cheap chuck steak could be made buttery tender in the sous vide, and then seared to a nice brown.
Tart

#299071 - 02/26/17 10:20 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

If a person was to grind his own meat, rare or raw hamburger could be made perfectly safe. Any pathogens inside a hamburger would have to be transferred there from the outside of the primal cut. A thorough cleaning or trimming of the outside of the meat would insure that none got to the inside of the ground meat patty. I'm not a real stickler with beef in any case and have, many times taken my chances with the cleanliness of rare ground beef, thus far with no ill effects. A quarter pound burger cooked at 130 for 45 minutes then seared is truly burger heaven.
As far a steaks go, yes, you can make a crappy steak better by cooking it sous vide. But it will still be a crappy steak cooked to perfection. I tend to go with ribeyes, NY strips, or filet mignon. The former two should be cooked at 140 for an hour, the filet does best cooked at 130. I generally melt a knob of butter in a cast iron skillet and sear them in that but if you're a grill guy that would work perfectly too.
I mostly cook in a 12 quart polycarbonate food storage container. It fits perfectly into a styrofoam shipping cooler for long cooks and to avoid evaporation overnight I have a lid cut out for the sous vide unit. I've ordered a vacuum food sealer which should simplify the process somewhat.
Those chicken breasts are to die for! I had wondered for a long time how restaurants managed to get that moist, perfect texture. Now I know...they all have a PolyScience sous vide unit happily burbling away back there.

#299086 - 02/27/17 03:43 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Ken Condon]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon
Hay un restaurante mexicano local en la ciudad llamado Plaza Latina. Tienen una seccion de restaurante donde se venden tacos de lengua. Delicioso.

Perro en esa foto ...OMG....

It seem like the cats got my tongue and this thread needs some juice to get it going again. I think Ken was trying to bring a dog into this fight, that sounds a bit like an off topic violation offtopic Hijack if there really was a topic.

Eagerly waiting for Fearless Leader to announce his death panels (AKA The Ann Ryan plan)for the poor on Medicaid.

Happy Moonday
Tat

#299088 - 02/27/17 04:41 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

There seems to be a lot of pissing and moaning (Russian prostitutes, anyone? smile ) about leaking at the White House. coffee

#299089 - 02/27/17 04:45 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
If a person was to grind his own meat...

...would it hurt? Hmm

#299092 - 02/27/17 04:53 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Aurora Ohio
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

...would it hurt? Hmm

ROTFMOL

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

#299094 - 02/27/17 07:46 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim D (FreeThinker)
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

...would it hurt? Hmm

ROTFMOL

I suppose it would depend on what kind of Grindr App was used on the organ meet. ThumbsUp

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr, asoso
6247 Registered Users
A2