by pondering_it_all
Today at 06:59 AM
The Hoarding of the American Dream
by pondering_it_all
Today at 03:38 AM
Round Table For September 2017
by pdx rick
Today at 03:00 AM
With Obamacare repeal less likely, opponents of expansion in the states have jus
by pondering_it_all
09/21/17 11:34 PM
Why America’s 1994 deal with North Korea failed – and what Trump canlearnfromit
by matthew
09/20/17 09:05 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/20/17 05:24 PM
What Trump Really Eats For Dinner, According to Chef David Burke
by pdx rick
09/20/17 03:39 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 10:46 PM
The Broken Government
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 10:39 PM
The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/18/17 06:46 PM
The Equifax Hack
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 12:49 AM
Twin Peaks
by jgw
09/17/17 08:20 PM
Trump Admin parsing words on Climate Change
by pondering_it_all
09/17/17 06:19 AM
China-Like Wages Now Part Of U.S. Employment Boom
by pondering_it_all
09/16/17 08:53 PM
LA City Council votes to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day
by pondering_it_all
09/16/17 08:49 PM
Forum Stats
6247 Members
57 Forums
16044 Topics
276600 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#298528 - 02/02/17 07:35 AM Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Welcome to the Reader Rant Roundtable for February, 2017!

It is the third month of WINTER in the Northern Hemisphere, and the last month of SUMMER in the Southern Hemisphere, and it's the shortest month to boot, with only 28 days this year, and it's recognized in both the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
Aquarians and Pisceans come to us in February, so does romantic love, if one buys into the classical tale of Saint Valentine.

We're doing our best to spread the love here at the Rant because Lord knows, after the January we've all been through, there is a shortage of the stuff.

#298532 - 02/02/17 03:50 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jim D (FreeThinker) Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Aurora Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
We're doing our best to spread the love here at the Rant because Lord knows, after the January we've all been through, there is a shortage of the stuff.

Yeah, except that it is just so hard to keep a stiff upper lip even with all that love. I do see the love here for humanity though.

I can not remember any time that I have felt so much despair about our future.

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

#298536 - 02/02/17 08:14 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here is a reason for a modicum of hope: the level and rapidity of resistance has been historic. Trump has mobilized so many people!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#298572 - 02/05/17 10:05 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Aww....true love! Bow

...so unlike those other two!

#298573 - 02/05/17 10:18 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#298578 - 02/06/17 03:04 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I was wondering how long it would take before I saw this meme.

#298579 - 02/06/17 04:17 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ujest Shurly Offline
stranger

Loc: Michigan, USA
Maybe this should be in the Trump Forum as one way to deal with The Wall he wants to build.

The 84 Lumber Super Bowl Commercial, the full version

Edited by Ujest Shurly (02/06/17 04:21 AM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#298580 - 02/06/17 04:24 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Greger
I was wondering how long it would take before I saw this meme.

Fifteen days too long to wait? laugh

As I wrote on another thread, the presidency is supposed to age the President. The Trump Administration has already given me a few gray hairs. Hmm

#298581 - 02/06/17 04:27 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Ujest Shurly]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
The 84 Lumber Super Bowl Commercial, the full version

I saw the shortened version on Friday when the Super Bowl ads were released for us Ad Meter panelists to rate the ads.

The Anheuser-Busch ad also referenced immigrants and I think did a much better job:

#298584 - 02/06/17 05:02 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ujest Shurly Offline
stranger

For me, it was near the end that most struck me. When you finally see what that convoy of trucks and laborers did to The Wall - put a gate in it and the reason they put it in. That tells me there are still good and righteous people here.

The Anheuser Busch commercial was also good and telling in showing that racism, bigotry and all the rest have been here since the beginning, but people still want to come here and try to make a better place.

Now, get off my grass!

#298592 - 02/07/17 03:07 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
When it comes down to it financially, we should be welcoming the people who want to come here and work, so they can keep our Social Security system running.

And when I'm finally in my last days in a nursing home, I'll be perfectly happy if the woman handling my bedpan is Hispanic. You certainly can't find many White girls who want to do that.

#298601 - 02/07/17 07:12 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow! Ireland really, really, really, hates President* Trump.

...and they're aruging from a Christian perspective using St Augustine's argument for "tyrannicide."

Where's Schlacky to weigh in on this? Hmm

#298628 - 02/09/17 10:22 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#298632 - 02/09/17 01:54 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ujest Shurly Offline
stranger

Three Cheers for Shield Maiden Lizzy!
ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Edited by Ujest Shurly (02/09/17 01:55 PM)

Now, get off my grass!

#298704 - 02/13/17 09:35 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
enthusiast

Is any one else now questioning their own judgment? I find that I am disagreeing 100% with the new prez whether or not one of his ideas makes any sense just because it came from him. I am finding I no longer can be sure if my mind is working logically. I am beginning to wonder if I am no better than those that opposed Obama just because he was Obama.

This moron is making it hard to function.

If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

--David Dunning

#298705 - 02/13/17 11:58 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
The way you can tell if you are as insane as the Trumplets, given that everything they believe is diametrically opposed to what you or I believe, is that we are aware of the possibility of being deluded, and as a consequence, look for rational and factual substantiation for what we understand to be true.

One of the fundamental tricks of the conning right comes from the fallacy of equivalence, freely combined with hyperbole and outright lies. A trick to maintaining sanity is to recognize that, for rank and file righties, issues are like a large lake on a dark night. They like to argue from a position that is somewhere far from shore where there is next to nothing to use to keep your bearings. They have been lost for so long in this condition that they are unaware of being lost, and will grab onto anything floating by, including you, and try to push you under so they feel a little higher out of the water.

For instance, the immigration issue (which is all about scary swimming "monsters" in the dark lake - manifested in every current, every water plant, even minnows nibbling at their toes that are magnified by imagination into a giant squid or a Great White Shark or a school of piranha -and the officials from the Ministry of Propaganda are in their darkened boat shouting fear and panic) is actually a nothing issue. The bad effects of illegal immigrants and refugees are heavily outweighed by the good effects - economic, social, humanitarian - if one simply takes a look at most of the facts and lets a little compassion enter the game. But if you are lost in the middle of a dark lake full of monsters, and people are shouting at you to be afraid for your life (and you are a gullible, fearful person to begin with), what are you gonna do?

Trump started shouting, "I'll save you", and the Trumplets believe him, even though he continues to feed their febrile imaginations nothing but more chum.

But this "nothing" issue is very useful in keeping the Trumplets in the dark and in fear, never questioning their fantasy savior. And it keeps the rational people occupied in struggle with the insane people who are lost in the lake in the dark.

#298709 - 02/14/17 01:36 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Really well said, my friend.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#298715 - 02/14/17 04:46 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Applause!!!
SHARED

#298765 - 02/16/17 10:24 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

SCROTUS = So-called Ruler of the United States

#298831 - 02/19/17 08:35 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What Dennis Leary is up to these days:

Ever notice that Dennis and "Kellyanne" are never in the same room? coffee

#298898 - 02/21/17 08:44 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Milo's very bad week:

* Gets disinvited to CPAC
* Loses his book deal
* Resigns from Breitbart

I'm sure when Milo was on Bill Maher's last Friday - he felt like he was sitting on top of the world. Seventy-two hours later, his entire world comes crashing down around him.

For those who do not know Milo, he is a Gamergater who rode its misogyny to fame.

#298923 - 02/23/17 06:10 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

I'm sure when Milo was on Bill Maher's last Friday - he felt like he was sitting on top of the world.

Sorry but I am one of the few who do NOT think Maher coddled him.
Watch ANY of Milos college appearances and note how he reacts to anyone who harshes out on him. He becomes ecstatic!
So if Bill Maher had lowered the proverbial boom on him, his supporters, who showed up in big numbers in the audience, would have celebrated, and Milo would have had an orgasm.
Maher basically just patted him on the head like he didn't amount to much, which was the PERFECT approach.

I GUARANTEE you Milo was wondering why he didn't get attacked, and wonders why he didn't get much chance to wriggle in fiendish joy at some kind of Bill Maher bomb of indignation.

#298939 - 02/23/17 08:48 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Once again, Donald Trump shows kindess and class ( rolleyes ) towards his wife, Melania! What an awesome man! coffee

#298948 - 02/24/17 01:41 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Just got back from a mini-vacation to Portal, Arizona. I rented this CCC era "cabin" (originally a bunkhouse for work crews - those were the days!) for two nights. We hiked around quite a bit and enjoyed several days of news and internet free peace.

#298984 - 02/24/17 09:11 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Hi Jeffery,

I thought Bill gave Milo the rope he needed to hang himself. I was a little disappointed that Bill didnt have any pithy comments for Milo to set him straight, which come to think of it, would be a monumental change indeed! There aint no conversion therapy up to that task.

As to Jeffery's comment re: coddled, I have to laugh, as when I was trying to find my way back from the wilderness to ReaderRant, my last Identity was Coddle, that was part of the residue from the infamous Coddle wars many years ago involving Schlack. Is he still around?

TAT

#298986 - 02/24/17 10:10 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Schlack. Is he still around?

He pokes his head in here every so often. Last time seems to be about six months ago.

I don’t know you from Adam Sr. Tatum, but welcome (back) aboard.

#298987 - 02/24/17 10:38 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Phil Hoskins Offline
Administrator
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: West Hollywood, CA
Welcome back TatumAH

#298988 - 02/24/17 10:43 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

TAT, it's good to see ya! I'd hoped one day to see your stripey face again.

#298989 - 02/24/17 11:03 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I am so glad more of our fam is finding its way back again.
TatumAH, welcome home.
I think Schlack is still around but fill me in on The Coddle Wars?

#298992 - 02/25/17 12:06 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
TatumAH Offline

Re:Coddle

Schlack, being very Irish, railed against a starvation induced Irish gastronomic "food". Basically it seems to be what was left at the end of the week, usually with cheap organ meat bits, and then gently greyed by simmering in watery milk. Anyway Schlack was also a masterful Photoshop artist, and for a while, most images in RR were decorated with abundant layers of Coddle. Truly disgusting!

I doubt that even a master Chef like Greger could salvage this abomination. According to Schlack that is. I have nothing against Ireland, but Scotland cuisine... I will spare you the details of the discussion of the Highland games with a detailed description including "Hurling the Haggis"
Ah, the good old days! I may still have some of these threads in my archives.

Just the mention of Coddle may bait Schlack back, if he has set up a google alert. My father always said the best crab bait, smells the wurst.

TAT was the nickname what I was tagged with way back when.

#298993 - 02/25/17 12:15 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
logtroll Offline
veteran

That coddle looks yummy!

#298994 - 02/25/17 12:18 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Quote:
“Hurling the Haggis”

Indeed. That might be my first reaction post ingestion even if I have never partaken of that esteemed delicacy.

Hey Greger--have you?

#298995 - 02/25/17 12:22 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TatumAH

Re:Coddle

Wow, look what the cat dragged in wink

Nice to see you again TAT.

--David Dunning

#298996 - 02/25/17 12:33 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Peas, carrots, potatoes, and gravy... How bad can it be?

#298998 - 02/25/17 12:42 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
enthusiast

Oh man . . . do we have to start with the haggis again? wink

--David Dunning

#299000 - 02/25/17 12:54 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
TatumAH Offline

Re: Haggis

Well, I brought it up sick , and since it is already on the floor, we may have to vote on it...

Tat

#299001 - 02/25/17 01:12 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
TatumAH Offline

Hi Jim,
It's nice to be back to be able to elevate the level of discourse. Speaking of: What the cat Dragged in...
I would show an image but dont yet know how to "share" Iphone images, luckily for many readers... Lets just say that it appeared as a cat hairball on the kitchen counter, except that it had a long worm-like component, that thankfully was later identified as a rodent tail. The clue was the paw that was also found after further study with my coffee.
Kind of like whole mouse Haggis.
Already I am sensing thread drift, and may have to take it to critter coroner.

TAt

#299006 - 02/25/17 03:41 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Peas, carrots, potatoes, and gravy... How bad can it be?

It's not... Hmm

...until you add in the varietal (organ) meat. gobsmacked

#299007 - 02/25/17 03:43 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One night, many years ago, it was late at night, and I posted a picture of a woman in a wet t-shirt or something like that and I wrote "Tit for Tat."

Doug Thompson musta been lurking because he came on and quoted me and did a ROTFLMAO emoticon. smile

#299009 - 02/25/17 05:05 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
TatumAH Offline

As I expecked pdx Rick could not resist rising again to the symbolism of the snausage bate. It was exactly the same image used many year ago,and was chosen for exactly the same reason, and the desired reaction. Freud is never wrong except for that quote: "Sometimes a snausage is just a snausage! So, it is late here so I am now going to bed, after putting out the cat, and throwing the dog a nice hard bone!

Still on the same team!
Tat for Tit

#299021 - 02/25/17 06:36 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
...until you add in the varietal (organ) meat.

Speaking of organ meat...I recently cooked a beef tongue. Yes, tongue is offal. And fairly awful to boot. But it would likely have gone well in a nice gag inducing bowl of coddle.

#299025 - 02/25/17 07:19 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Greger]
enthusiast

Quote:
...until you add in the varietal (organ) meat.

Speaking of organ meat...I recently cooked a beef tongue. Yes, tongue is offal. And fairly awful to boot. But it would likely have gone well in a nice gag inducing bowl of coddle.

I've had smoked beef tongue and thought that it was pretty good, boiled tongue left me retching though.

--David Dunning

#299029 - 02/25/17 07:57 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
TatumAH Offline

My grandmother used to prepare it, as a special treat for my Dad, as a sort of pickled tongue preparation. I dont remember if she brined it, but it was boiled, peeled, and then thin sliced. Then it was marinated in a vinegar mix with sliced raw onions, salt , pepper etc that was very similar to the sliced cucumber onion marinated salad, sometimes also with tomatoes, home grown in season only! It was delicious as a rye bread sandwich that included the onions. The vinaigrette really countered the richness of the tongue. I dont remember using a spicy mustard, but I would try it that way now.

I dont like to think about it as an organ, but rather an appendage, as it is almost completely muscle, after the "skin" tongue surface is peeled off. If you can get past the bad association, it is considered a delicacy in NYC delicatessens.

Still there is something about it that is disconcerting, but I cant quite place it...

Oh yeah, I got it!
Tat

#299030 - 02/25/17 08:02 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TatumAH
My grandmother used to prepare it, as a special treat for my Dad...

Was your dad being punished? Did he forget to feed, walk, or clean-up after the family dog? Hmm

#299044 - 02/25/17 11:06 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
it is almost completely muscle

I was expecting a lot of lean muscle tissue but it turns out that 89% of the calories in tongue are from fat. The muscle itself is smooth muscle tissue rather than the striated kind found in limb muscles. It's incredibly rich and delicious. But soft. About the same texture as braunschweiger. It makes great tacos and is excellent with onions(and spicy mustard) on rye bread. But since I had an entire 4 lb tongue to deal with it rapidly became just too much. The amount of fat isn't really apparent until you chill it and slice it. Sort of like layers of liver and fat. It would make an excellent beefy pâté.

#299046 - 02/25/17 11:30 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I grew up on many tongue sandwiches.
My Italian mom managed to sneak one at me as a youngster, refused to tell me what it was till I tried a bite. I liked it. When she first told me it was tongue I, being an innocent four year old, immediately assumed the worst.
Did they say a bad word and the punishment was getting their tongue cut and served to Jeffery??

Anyway, it was difficult for me to reconcile the tasty slices with a cow tongue until the time she bought a whole one and went at it with the meat slicer machine.

Coddle, I must have joined AFTER the Coddle Wars but yeah, I've heard stories about Scottish cuisine.

Let the games begin!

#299051 - 02/26/17 01:10 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Hay un restaurante mexicano local en la ciudad llamado Plaza Latina. Tienen una seccion de restaurante donde se venden tacos de lengua. Delicioso.

If tongue is prepared correctly--with a slow braise/stewing method it really can be quite good.

Seriously....

Pero en esa foto que adjunto se ve seriamente desagradable. Y vagamente OMG....

Edited by Ken Condon (02/26/17 01:11 AM)

#299056 - 02/26/17 03:13 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Ken Condon]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

I cooked mine sous vide at 158 degrees for 24 hours I think...mighta been 170 degrees, I don't remember which recipe I used.

#299059 - 02/26/17 06:37 AM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I've had tongue in a deli sandwich. Pretty good but I like corned beef and pastrami better. When I was a teenager I liked nothing better than to walk or bike a couple of miles to Manny's Deli and get a hot corned beef sandwich and cole slaw. I've never had as good a cole slaw as that place made.

#299060 - 02/26/17 01:18 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I cooked mine sous vide at 158 degrees for 24 hours I think...mighta been 170 degrees...

Knowing you, and your penchant for pushing the envelope, I'm pretty sure you biled that po' thang at 170!

(And I peeked...)

#299066 - 02/26/17 07:07 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
(And I peeked...)

I was too lazy to go back and look at that blog post. I wonder now if the lower temp might have improved the otherwise "too soft" texture.
My 90 year old neighbor with no teeth really loved it. He hasn't been able to chew most beef for years.

PIA, personally I'd have to say I like corned beef or its smoked version pastrami better too. But that's comparing apples and oranges.
St. Paddy's day is rolling up on us and it's time to cook a corned beef brisket. I've only been using the sous vide method for a couple of months but I'm hoping that cooking the corned beef this way will yield something more akin to the deli version rather than the boiled to death, overcooked corned beef we are most accustomed to in home cooking. Traditionally Jewish style deli corned beef is steamed not boiled. Pastrami is the same cut of meat but is smoked after it's steamed.

#299067 - 02/26/17 07:24 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: logtroll]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
I cooked mine sous vide at 158 degrees for 24 hours I think...mighta been 170 degrees...

Knowing you, and your penchant for pushing the envelope, I'm pretty sure you biled that po' thang at 170!

(And I peeked...)

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com

This recipe used 158 F. and cooked it for 36 hours! Man, talk about coddling! They were using it for taco filling, but I wonder if it had the structural stability for slicing as opposed to "pulled tongue"? Maybe if it was well chilled it could be sliced for vinaigrette.

Found this recipe for tongue vinaigrette, that I discovered is a popular South American treat!

http://www.amsterbiter.com/beef-tongue-vinaigrette/

I could not get the link thingie to work on this.
I would sous vide it without the veggies, and then use whatever variation of vinaigrette that that appeels to your taste buds, that were already peeled off.

As Greger correctly warned, tongue is high fat, with about 19g./3oz serving, with pulled pork running about 12g. Sorry for mixing metric and English units.

#299068 - 02/26/17 09:01 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

I like this vinaigrette idea. The biggest problem with cooking a tongue is that there is so much of it and it is so rich. The vinaigrette could be parked in the fridge for a week or so while I recovered from gorging on it right after it was cooked.
The kid who lives with me wanted no part of it. She's not a squeamish eater by any means and took a braunschweiger sandwich for her lunch today, but tongue was just too much for her Millenial sensitivity.

Do you sous vide Tat? I can't say enough good about this cooking method. The steaks are positively out of this world.

#299069 - 02/26/17 09:46 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
TatumAH Offline

Hi Greger,

Yes indeed, I am a dedicated sous vide addict! I use a thermostatic controlled stirred immersion heater that can be used in various sized pots, even up to my enameled canning pot. I havent tried any times longer than 4 hours, but if I do I will insulate the pot in a Styrofoam ice chest or such to save energy. I even used it in canning to try to keep pickles from getting soft, by keeping the temp down to 175F. for a longer time. It didnt work very well, but you cant expect purrfect crunchy pickles when you start with overripe cukes. It was worth a try. Those cukes can really surprise you with a large crop of big cukes hidden under the leaves.

When serving sous vide chicken breasts, after lightly searing them on the barbie, worried guests unaware of sous vide technology often ask: Are you sure this is cooked enough to be safe? They have never had a safe juicey chicken breast before. I suppose even chicken tartar could be made safely, as disgusting as that sounds!

They know I am VERY conservative with food safety, particularly chicken, that I handle like the high grade level III pathogen that it is!

I havent used it on steak, but I am pretty good watching them to a rare-medium rare. I have wondered about sous vide hamburgers, as there is no way to make them safe with store-bought ground beef (unless irradiated) without immolating them. I bet a cheap chuck steak could be made buttery tender in the sous vide, and then seared to a nice brown.
Tart

#299071 - 02/26/17 10:20 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

If a person was to grind his own meat, rare or raw hamburger could be made perfectly safe. Any pathogens inside a hamburger would have to be transferred there from the outside of the primal cut. A thorough cleaning or trimming of the outside of the meat would insure that none got to the inside of the ground meat patty. I'm not a real stickler with beef in any case and have, many times taken my chances with the cleanliness of rare ground beef, thus far with no ill effects. A quarter pound burger cooked at 130 for 45 minutes then seared is truly burger heaven.
As far a steaks go, yes, you can make a crappy steak better by cooking it sous vide. But it will still be a crappy steak cooked to perfection. I tend to go with ribeyes, NY strips, or filet mignon. The former two should be cooked at 140 for an hour, the filet does best cooked at 130. I generally melt a knob of butter in a cast iron skillet and sear them in that but if you're a grill guy that would work perfectly too.
I mostly cook in a 12 quart polycarbonate food storage container. It fits perfectly into a styrofoam shipping cooler for long cooks and to avoid evaporation overnight I have a lid cut out for the sous vide unit. I've ordered a vacuum food sealer which should simplify the process somewhat.
Those chicken breasts are to die for! I had wondered for a long time how restaurants managed to get that moist, perfect texture. Now I know...they all have a PolyScience sous vide unit happily burbling away back there.

#299086 - 02/27/17 03:43 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Ken Condon]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon
Hay un restaurante mexicano local en la ciudad llamado Plaza Latina. Tienen una seccion de restaurante donde se venden tacos de lengua. Delicioso.

Perro en esa foto ...OMG....

It seem like the cats got my tongue and this thread needs some juice to get it going again. I think Ken was trying to bring a dog into this fight, that sounds a bit like an off topic violation offtopic Hijack if there really was a topic.

Eagerly waiting for Fearless Leader to announce his death panels (AKA The Ann Ryan plan)for the poor on Medicaid.

Happy Moonday
Tat

#299088 - 02/27/17 04:41 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There seems to be a lot of pissing and moaning (Russian prostitutes, anyone? smile ) about leaking at the White House. coffee

#299089 - 02/27/17 04:45 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If a person was to grind his own meat...

...would it hurt? Hmm

#299092 - 02/27/17 04:53 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
enthusiast

...would it hurt? Hmm

ROTFMOL

--David Dunning

#299094 - 02/27/17 07:46 PM Re: Reader Rant Roundtable for February 2017 [Re: Jim D (FreeThinker)]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim D (FreeThinker)

...would it hurt? Hmm

ROTFMOL

I suppose it would depend on what kind of Grindr App was used on the organ meet. ThumbsUp

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr, asoso
6247 Registered Users
A2