by pondering_it_all
Today at 02:20 AM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:20 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 08:11 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 01:53 AM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
06/23/17 04:56 AM
The truth - finally
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/23/17 12:53 AM
Want to do something about global warming?
by logtroll
06/22/17 12:29 PM
Should Star Trek Sequels Return to the Prime Timeline?
by Golem
06/22/17 01:46 AM
On Confirmation Bias (or why facts don't matter)
by jgw
06/21/17 09:53 PM
The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals (1972)
by Jeffery J. Haas
06/21/17 09:35 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15948 Topics
275281 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#298776 - 02/16/17 08:36 PM our gestapo - ICE
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I thought I would relate some thoughts on ICE. I life in a little town in the far northwest. There is a smaller town about 75 miles away called Forks. Years ago, right after the feds mandated that all clear cuts (forestry) had to be replanted Forks underwent a serious increase in workers from Mexico. These were the ONLY people who would take the job of planting trees as, at the time, it was stoop label and tough. Anyway, over the years the hispanic population of Forks grew. Forks has a population of around 3500 and of that around 1000 are hispanic.

So, ICE (us immigration, and customs enforcement) a couple of years ago, decided to setup an office in Port Angeles and so we have now been gifted with their local office complete with a reverse razor wire yard for holding all the dangerous illegals. One of the ICE guys got a bit upset because they would not transfer him back to the southern border where there was something to do so he went public. He said that they had nothing to do, had found few illegals, and he was tired doing little or nothing (I think they finally fired him). In their effort to justify their existence (I think) they decided that they would goto Forks get all them damned illegals. They put road blocks up on every road in Forks but didn't seem to have much luck. They then stopped every bus leaving the area - still not much luck. Then they landed on their really good idea. What they did was to invade the local grade school and interrogated brown skinned children from six to around 11 or so. This tended to upset the citizens but that didn't cause ICE to backoff their quest for evil. Oh, one last thing. The guy in charge of it all, up here, was also charged and convicted of child abuse. (kinda puts things into perspective I think)

Now there are new reports of ICE up to new efforts to save us all. These efforts are, basically in line with their previous efforts, now seem to be in full "get 'em all" mode so I am sure there are going to be lots of pretty offensive stuff as it continues. The current ICE outrage, in Seattle, seems to be an interrogation of a hispanic kid, which resulted in an old style forced confession.

I just thought that I would try and put ICE into some perspective for everybody.

#298788 - 02/17/17 08:21 AM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Any local newspaper stories about these shenanigans?
Stories with upset citizens tend to have legs if the larger population gets wind of them.

#298800 - 02/17/17 05:48 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Seattle 'Dreamer' protected by Obama jailed, faces deportation. Note, his only "crime" is being the son of an undocumented alien (and being Hispanic).
Quote:
Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., issued a statement Tuesday evening calling for Ramirez Medina's "immediate" release.

"President Trump's deportation force has struck our community and taken one of our own," Jayapal said in the statement. "It's unconscionable that Daniel, who trusted the government and registered under DACA, was picked up and sent to a detention center. Seattle stands with Daniel and we will not back down until he is free."

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#298801 - 02/17/17 05:51 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#298803 - 02/17/17 06:02 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Republicans bar Hispanic lawmakers from meeting with ICE. Salon. As it turns out, this was actually a favor being done for the Democratic lawmakers - their colleagues were concerned that the ICE personnel would take them into custody for being Hispanic.

#298808 - 02/17/17 06:47 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
An example of Mr Trumps compassion ... does he know what it means? ... or is it just an example of what floats around his demented mind?

#298810 - 02/17/17 07:21 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA

#298812 - 02/17/17 07:51 PM Re: our gestapo - ICE [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Until I saw this headline:White House denies National Guard plan for deportations, I thought this was just fear/rumor mongering. Now that Sean Spicer has affirmatively denied it, however, I'm assured it has substance.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2