by Greger
12:25 AM
Trump and Russia
by pondering_it_all
11:50 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
10:21 PM
Who's more corrupt in Congress between the Republicans and the Democrats?
by jgw
07:07 PM
Round Table for October, 2017
by pondering_it_all
06:12 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
03:18 PM
Whales and dolphins have rich 'human-like' cultures and societies
by logtroll
10/22/17 10:42 AM
The Common Sense Party
by pondering_it_all
10/21/17 07:26 PM
Trump's war on Americans
by pdx rick
10/21/17 02:42 PM
Our entitled ruling class
by NW Ponderer
10/21/17 04:56 AM
Charolottesville
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/20/17 03:58 AM
The Danger of President Pence
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/20/17 03:15 AM
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - TV series
by jgw
10/17/17 08:15 PM
The Hoarding of the American Dream
by NW Ponderer
10/17/17 05:10 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16073 Topics
276940 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#299416 - 03/09/17 11:58 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
A possibly interesting aside. Since the popularity of these things has gone up Goodwill can no longer keep donated vacuum machines (mostly Foodsaver brand) in stock and they are flying off the shelf (for, of course, the right price <G>). I know this because I have been trying to buy one for my son, who I gifted with a sous vide machine and he wanted the vacuum machine so I eventually found him one for 10 bucks. I also noticed that Foodsaver are selling reconditioned ones for 70.00 or less.

#299417 - 03/10/17 01:07 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: jgw]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Greger has a lot to answer for-----

#299418 - 03/10/17 01:32 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Ken Condon]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Ken Condon

I wonder how much he's pulling down?

#299423 - 03/10/17 03:19 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I do it just out of the goodness of my heart.

Everyone should eat as good as I do.

I liked my Gourmia sous vide pod so much I ordered their vacuum sealer. $60 bucks or so, Should be arriving any day now.

#299425 - 03/10/17 03:45 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:

I do it just out of the goodness of my heart.

Everyone should eat as good as I do.

I liked my Gourmia sous vide pod so much I ordered their vacuum sealer. $60 bucks or so, Should be arriving any day now.

Well, that sucks!

Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/10/17 03:56 AM)

#299428 - 03/10/17 06:12 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Ken Condon]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon

I will heartily agree with that!!
And, that reminds me of what I thought was a very funny scene from "The West Wing", a fantasy show from early 2000s, when the White House was populated by literate sophisticated intellectuals who were also honest and honorable! I think all current denizens in the White House should be strapped to their chairs and forced to watch every episode to get some understanding about their job descriptions and oaths of office. I know they would attempt to look away in shame, after 20 or so hours, but we have ways to thwart that!

Like something subtle from Clockwork Orange. One would hope that enhanced coercive techniques an abuse by Moby's Dick could be avoided...

Quote:
CUT TO: INT. THE OVAL OFFICE - DAY
Bartlet is accepting papers from the newly named ambassador of Sweden. The ambassador's wife and two children are in the room, so is the Presenter and a few men with cameras.
BARTLET: I think a lot of people don't realize that Swedes have lived in Sweden more than 5,000 years longer than nearly any other European people.
AMBASSADOR: That's right, sir.
BARTLET: In fact, Gothic tribes from Sweden played a major role in the disintegration of the Roman Empire, did they not?
AMBASSADOR: They did.
BARTLET: So you've got that to answer for!
AMBASSADOR: [smiling] Yes, sir!
Bartlet laughs. Leo enters the office.

TOM: Mr. President, it is with pleasure that I present his Excellency Peter Hans of Sweden, and by request of the Secretary of State ask that you accept his credentials
from king Karl Gustav as Sweden's ambassador to the United States.
BARTLET: [puts his eyeglasses on] Mr. Hans, I accept your letter of credence from king Gustav, and, by affixing my signature and seal, do hereby declare you to be an Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary. [returns the papers]
AMBASSADOR: Thank you, Mr. President.
BARTLET: Congratulations. [They shake hands.]
TOM: Mr. Ambassador. [shows Hans to a spot next to Bartlet] Family, please. They pose for pictures. Leo shakes hands with Hans.
LEO: Congratulations, Ambassador.
AMBASSADOR: Leo.
LEO: Is he still holding you responsible for the fall of the Roman Empire?
AMBASSADOR: Oh, yes.
LEO: Welcome to my world.
I'll see you at the reception, right?
AMBASSADOR: Yes, sir.

LEO: Congratulations.

Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/10/17 07:54 AM)

#299448 - 03/11/17 02:38 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I don't know about yall, but I eat every day. Sometimes three times. And I want every meal to be good. In the morning, my eggs are freshly laid, still warm from the chicken, my coffee comes down from Washington state. Deadman's Reach from Raven's Brew coffee company..."Served in Bed It Wakes the Dead".
As soon as breakfast is done, I'm thinking about lunch. Today I made Mulligatawny soup. A simple chicken rice soup with some curry powder, garam masala and a diced Granny Smith apple. No sous vide involved, just 4 chicken thighs stewed with aromatic vegetables and some unusual spices. it was delicious, but...the pack of chicken thighs I pulled out of the freezer was somewhat larger than I needed eight thighs(bone in skin on) and I had to thaw all of them so they all needed to be cooked. So I seasoned and bagged them and set them burbling away in a 165 degree water bath. I let them go all day and essentially had chicken confit at the end. When they were done and I was hungry again, which always seems to happen. I set them skin side up for a while to dry off then dipped them in seasoned flour, then in buttermilk, then back into the flour and I dropped them in the fryer.
Everyone who's ever made fried chicken knows that the trick isn't to get a crispy delectable skin on them but to get the inside of the chicken safely cooked while doing it. Once again, sous vide eliminates the guesswork. The chicken was already perfectly cooked and it only took minutes to turn it into the best fried chicken I've ever had.
bon appetit, yall.

#299451 - 03/11/17 03:22 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

Today I made Mulligatawny soup. A simple chicken rice soup with some curry powder, garam masala and a diced Granny Smith apple. No sous vide involved, just 4 chicken thighs stewed with aromatic vegetables and some unusual spices. it was delicious, but...

There is no butt, after an admission of guilt!

Completely off-topic, and, where is a Mod when a chicken battering is taking place! Chicken lives batter!
And Granny too, she should sous!

Repeat after me:
Oh Sue Vee Wontcha dance with me! repeat as needed...
Tat

#299461 - 03/11/17 06:08 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

So I seasoned and bagged them and set them burbling away in a 165 degree water bath. I let them go all day and essentially had chicken confit at the end. When they were done and I was hungry again, which always seems to happen. I set them skin side up for a while to dry off then dipped them in seasoned flour, then in buttermilk, then back into the flour and I dropped them in the fryer.
Everyone who's ever made fried chicken knows that the trick isn't to get a crispy delectable skin on them but to get the inside of the chicken safely cooked while doing it. Once again, sous vide eliminates the guesswork. The chicken was already perfectly cooked and it only took minutes to turn it into the best fried chicken I've ever had.
bon appetit, yall.

This is definitely the way to go for fried chicken. A small hot oil vessel would be sufficient for this number of pieces.
Traditional chicken frying makes such a mess with splatters everywhere even using a screen. And the results, for someone who doesnt do it every day, are highly variable, even with constant attention.

I did a 2 inch ribeye last night with S+P and garlic with 3 hrs SV @134F/56.5C.
Seared with butter in smokin cast iron pans heated in the oven to 450F, and rotated to an induction hotplate to keep the temp high. Lots of smoke alarms! One cast iron skillet was low profile more like a griddle, that allowed controlled regular old propane torch searing of some fatty areas on the perimeter, without the problem of inverting the propane tank. There were a couple of small flareups that added to the excitement, but not dangerous. Last step is to crisp the top surface with the residual hot butter poured on top, just before serving. This could be a dramatic performance art scenario for guests outside. Chefs know that presentation is very important for diner satisfaction.
The steak was a purrfect medium rare, with a crusty surface that needed no sauce or other distraction. And marvelously tender and juicy with just the right amount of bite.

I could not imagine an improvement of this! Once you go SV, ya never go back!

The flame up show may not be advisable in drought areas with high forest fire risks. Though now recently saturated California may be OK for a while.

Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/11/17 06:15 PM)

#299761 - 03/19/17 04:18 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: TatumAH]
TatumAH Offline

I had some pork roasts from the separated pork butt/shoulder in the garage, fridge annex, in the winter here. I sliced them into 1" steaks, and seasoned with a dry rub Cajun Foreplay along with S+P and sealed dry in bags. After 4 hrs at 60C, I seared one, but was not happy with the result, as a steak. The sous vide left the fat, very well "marbled" intact with an unpleasant texture. The meat was tender, but as expected the pork was not pullable. Plan B was to drench the chops in an acid citrus mix of orange, lemmon, and lime, crushed tomatoes, garlic, sliced onions, with cumin, oregano, annatto/achiote paste, and moderate dosing with ground chiles. Four more hours in the covered roasting pan at 225F did not render the fat to a floating oil pool as is the case with a temp of 325-350F. Overcooking at 325-50 at this point usually yields a dry unpleasent texture of denatured protein, that is resistant to softening with sauce. This may be related to the additional denaturization from the acid envionment, as is intentional acid treatment in the preps of ceviche.

The plan C salvage involved tightly wrapping the individual steaks in Aluminum foil, and baking at 350 for 1-2 hrs. This treatment did produce the desired effect of nicely pullable pork with a tender moist structure/texture, and the abundant fat was easily separable from the meat. This defatted meat with the, left over sauce, was very tender and delicious. This was excellent taco and burrito filling, and much more tender than the usual carnitas. There will be many meals from these left overs.

Cochinta Pibil addicts will recognize the seasonings as that Yucateco specialty. Authentic Pibil require a pig in a pit that are not practical in the frozen tundra up Nawth! Rick Baylis has a good, but complicated, recipe, but does have a good description of the classic accompaniments of pickled red onions and habanero salsa.

Bayliss Cocinita Pibil, pickled onion and habenero salse

Happy SV to all
Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/19/17 04:23 PM)

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2