Current Topics
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by logtroll
Today at 12:16 AM
Trump Forum
by logtroll
Today at 12:13 AM
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:51 PM
fix the telemarketing thing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
15 Worst Star Trek Episodes Of All Time
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:05 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
Yesterday at 03:13 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/22/17 04:28 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
05/22/17 12:33 AM
American Nations
by Greger
05/21/17 08:14 PM
Next Trump Clusterfork: Tax Reform
by Greger
05/21/17 03:55 AM
just stuff - maps
by jgw
05/20/17 06:22 PM
Seth MacFarlane Is Headed to Space with 'The Orville' on Fox
by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15911 Topics
274742 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#299257 - 03/05/17 06:24 PM Dennis Prager: A Nation of Immigrants -- Only If They Assimilate
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Dennis Prager
Townhall
February 28, 2017

Quote:
...America was never just "a nation of immigrants." America was always a nation of immigrants who sought to become -- or at least were taught by American public schools and by the general American culture to become -- Americans.

If America becomes a nation of nonassimilating immigrants, or a nation consisting of nonassimilating ethnic, racial and national groups who are already here, it will cease being a glorious idea and become just another nation torn by conflicting interest groups. These various groups will fight one another -- first verbally and then, perhaps, violently (and America will see more and more violence) -- just as France, Sweden and Germany have seen since they began taking in millions of immigrants, many of whom have no intention of becoming Frenchmen, Swedes or Germans...

Full article

#299259 - 03/05/17 08:10 PM Re: Dennis Prager: A Nation of Immigrants -- Only If They Assimilate [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Right off the top of my head I am going to say that while I generally avoid Prager like the plague, I do agree that SOME assimilating and mainstreaming MUST happen as a simple matter of common sense. The reason mainstreaming and assimilation MUST happen to SOME small extent is because without it, we do not communicate, we share no common bond and we share no common direction as a community.

I tend to regard conservative calls for assimilation as an expression of American exceptionalism, whereas I view my own call for assimilation as an expression of love.
We welcomed you, now please return the embrace because having welcomed you, we wish to get to know you better, we want you IN the American conversation and we want you to share our cultures with you.

It is a very good thing to retain one's culture but in all honesty there will never be a way to recreate Vietnam in California, Guadalajera in Los Angeles or Bangladesh in Detroit.
But Americans will slurp down prodigious amounts of Pho, squirt hot sauce on their fries and sample plenty of curried lamb given half a chance. We already have.
Now all we ask is that the immigrant communities learn to enjoy the positive and constructive aspects of our own native culture and learn how to communicate, at least on a basic level, in a common tongue.

The more we talk together, the more we trust each other.
Dennis thinks he knows how liberals think. He's wrong, dead wrong.
And he never even bothers to try talking to liberals, he loves his echo chamber too much.
In some ways, Dennis and his fans are as much an unassimilated group as some of the immigrants.
I say that because too many conservatives will brook NO compromise and NO outreach with liberals whatsoever. That is why we as a nation have come to our own great divide.

For immigrants, there will always be a Welcome mat but for the most part in order to read the word "WELCOME" they need to understand that "WELCOME" is written in English.
They do not need to give up their own language, they just need a bit of ours.
We can benefit by learning how to say "WELCOME" in their language too, it's every bit as fun as slurping Pho or enjoying spicy fries.

#299262 - 03/05/17 10:30 PM Re: Dennis Prager: A Nation of Immigrants -- Only If They Assimilate [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I think, Jeffery, that we're mostly on the same page. For the most part "Americans" haven't really helped or wanted immigrants to assimilate. Particularly those of the conservative persuasion.
Assimilation is a two way street.
Americans never wanted black people in their neighborhoods. They didn't want the Irish, the Italians, the Poles, the Jews, the Germans, the Chinese, or Hispanics to live among them. They were forced into ghettos and barrios and the ubiquitous "colored quarters" still found throughout the south.
They still don't want Indians or Middle Easterners in their neighborhoods. They don't fu<cking want them to assimilate they want them to leave.
We've recently had a spate of hate crimes directed at Jews. They look like us, they dress like us, they talk like us. They've been here for generations. Some of them are even Republicans. How much more do they need to assimilate? Two Indian engineers just shot, one killed....Because some idiot conservative thought they looked like they came from the Middle East. A Sikh, shot in his driveway by another one of them. So he wore a turban, do you need to wear a goddam greasy baseball cap backwards with a fishhook in it to assimilate? They're all trying to assimilate, trying to learn the language, trying to learn the customs and trying to get along.
But without acceptance there can be no assimilation.

That right there is the problem.

#299263 - 03/05/17 10:40 PM Re: Dennis Prager: A Nation of Immigrants -- Only If They Assimilate [Re: Golem]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Dennis Prager, isn't he that guy with a third tier talk radio show and who is the epitome of CONservative values: Three babies, three different baby mamas. coffee

#299285 - 03/06/17 07:10 AM Re: Dennis Prager: A Nation of Immigrants -- Only If They Assimilate [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Dennis Prager, isn't he that guy with a third tier talk radio show and who is the epitome of CONservative values: Three babies, three different baby mamas. coffee

Eeeeeeiuuuwwwww, three different women wanted to bed that pasty little toady?
Oh wait, he's a BIG toady...I had no idea.

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2