6248 Members
57 Forums
16117 Topics
277769 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299436 - 03/10/17 06:18 PM BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California

(NOT SECESSION)
A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED

A Modest Proposal for Separating Blue States From Red

Quote:
You want to organize the nation around your cherished principle of states’ rights—the idea that pretty much everything except the U.S. military and paper currency and the national anthem should be decided at the local level? Fine.
We won’t formally secede, in the Civil War sense of the word.
We’ll still be a part of the United States, at least on paper.
But we’ll turn our back on the federal government in every way we can, just like you’ve been urging everyone to do for years, and devote our hard-earned resources to building up our own cities and states.

----Leon Russell - "Magic Mirror"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-H1iQ5Y6Eg

#299440 - 03/10/17 08:42 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
For many states the Blue/Red separation makes some sense but it is more of an urban (Blue) rural (Red) divide. Oregon is considered to be a Blue State (and is one for total number of voters) but as soon as one leaves most any town--in the Willamette Valley anyway- Trump signs were plentiful. I am sure that scenario plays out across the US but it is especially prevalent in the West.

In Oregon, and the West in general, the urban areas have colleges and universities, high tech businesses, hospitals, restaurants, hipsters etc while the rural areas contain ranches, farms, lumber harvesting etc. Guess which areas supported Hillary and which went for The Donald?

People are funny.......

#299455 - 03/11/17 07:54 AM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Did my own personal BluExit today: Sold ALL of our stock, in regular and IRA accounts. I think the sh*t is poised just above the fan, and markets could tumble as soon as Trump voters and foreign investors realize he can't deliver.

I combine this concern about disillusionment with the historical record of markets falling when Republicans get a chance to implement all their stupid ideas.

#299456 - 03/11/17 02:36 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Did my own personal BluExit today: Sold ALL of our stock, in regular and IRA accounts.

Whatcha gonne do now? Invest locally?

#299463 - 03/11/17 07:23 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Looking at bond funds. They usually do the opposite of stocks. Cash is okay for now. If I was more aggressive, I would buy a short fund or just short the S&P500. I'm not that aggressive. I prefer to just take my football and go home rather than betting against my own team.

#299467 - 03/11/17 09:18 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
I’m wondering what to do too regarding my vestments. This “Trump-up" has been curious but I cannot shake the feeling that it is built mostly on irrational hope and smoke and mirrors. This market ascent is all predicated on Trump being handed dictatorial powers (which he longs for immeasurably) and not on any sort of political reality. At least yet anyway.

You were brave to unload everything PIA and I would imagine you will face a hefty tax bill next year (IRS says thanks) but if the market implodes as you believe it will, your foresight will have been rewarded.

Now where is my crystal ball..................

#299468 - 03/11/17 09:48 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

***Off Topic***

1. When someone unloads their stocks after retirement, do they still have to pay taxes?

2. Is all income after retirement tax-free?

Thanks in advance. smile

#299479 - 03/12/17 03:51 AM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: pdx rick]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Yeah, Right!
Better get a financial councilor!
Tat

Shurly Ujest!

Edited by TatumAH (03/12/17 03:55 AM)

#299482 - 03/12/17 05:09 AM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
We're about to sell my mothers house. Something just shy of $50K is about to be dumped into my meager bank account. I dread the tax bill and hope to salvage as much as possible by whatever means are available.

I haven't paid taxes for quite a while, $60 dollars one year recently, $6 another, last year nothing. Social Security Disability keeps me just above the poverty level and at a point they don't collect much tax from me. But income is income, they really don't care whether you are retired or not.

Trick is to keep your money in tax free retirement accounts. You aren't taxed on it until you take it out. So you take out as little as possible in a year that it doesn't raise your income high enough for the taxes to amount to much.
Get your house and car paid for, clear up your debts, and learn to live as cheaply as possible. The Great Recession wiped out all my savings and all my plans for a truly comfortable retirement. Republicans are poised to do the same for many millions more like me.

#299497 - 03/12/17 03:02 PM Re: BluEXIT? A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED [Re: Ken Condon]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I know where there are a couple of memberships for sale in a small, organic, regenerative farm LLC.

One thought on investing is to trade $$$ for assets with durable intrinsic value that appreciate with sustainable use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2