by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 02:18 AM
Reign of Idiots
by matthew
07/20/17 10:18 PM
BREAKING!! Don Jr admits to collusion
by jgw
07/19/17 07:02 PM
What are the climate change deniers scared of?
by jgw
07/18/17 08:31 PM
The end of endless growth
by pondering_it_all
07/18/17 05:45 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
07/17/17 06:15 PM
Greenwald: Donald Trump Jr.'s Emails Are Not A "Smoking Gun" Of Anything; Democr
by pdx rick
07/17/17 04:45 PM
Orange County family attacked on social media by actor James Woods
by pondering_it_all
07/15/17 10:16 PM
Tourist killed by jet blast at notorious Caribbean airport (2 articles)
by pondering_it_all
07/15/17 10:12 PM
3rd party hosting
by logtroll
07/15/17 03:29 PM
Star Trek Discovery: 15 Biggest Differences From The Other Trek Series
by Golem
07/15/17 02:16 AM
London Tube scraps 'ladies and gentlemen' to make announcements gender-neutral
by Ken Condon
07/15/17 12:28 AM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15974 Topics
275791 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#299612 - 03/16/17 12:02 AM Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
John Rogers
AP
March 14, 2017

Quote:
Goodyear has let the helium out of the last of its fabled fleet of blimps, but the company's flight program will continue.

About two dozen employees were on hand early Tuesday to witness the deflation of California-based Spirit of Innovation.

But shed no tears, blimp fans, you'll still see a familiar blue-and-gold form floating over your favorite sports event or awards show.

Although the blimp's replacement, Wingfoot Two, will look about the same when it arrives at Goodyear's airship base in Carson later this year, it will be a semi-rigid dirigible.

More

#299615 - 03/16/17 02:10 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Man, they really should have recaptured all that Helium. It's a limited resource we get out of just a few wells, and they are going to run out. It does not stay in the atmosphere when you release it. It floats up into the top of the atmosphere and gets blown away by the solar wind.

Once we run out, the only way to get more will be to go to a gas giant planet and scoop up some gas mixture to distill. It's going to be REAL expensive.

On the other hand, recycling it is easy. If it gets mixed with air, the same cold distillation process we use to make liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen leaves helium as a pretty pure gas.

#299616 - 03/16/17 02:41 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Man, they really should have recaptured all that Helium. It's a limited resource we get out of just a few wells, and they are going to run out. It does not stay in the atmosphere when you release it. It floats up into the top of the atmosphere and gets blown away by the solar wind.

Once we run out, the only way to get more will be to go to a gas giant planet and scoop up some gas mixture to distill. It's going to be REAL expensive.

On the other hand, recycling it is easy. If it gets mixed with air, the same cold distillation process we use to make liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen leaves helium as a pretty pure gas.

Great News! New Helium Fields are a Game Changer!

I too have been concerned about the rapid depletion of our precious Helium and bodily fluids. Now that they know what to look for geologically, more fields will likely be discovered.

Just consider having to deflate the CERN Large Hardon Collider from lack of Helium for the superconducting electromagnets. They did have a massive release of Helium when it came down catastrophically from a mis-wired coil. I imagined a bunch of frantic scientists screaming emergency repair orders in high squeaky Micky Mouse speak. I bet at least audio recordings exist but they have not surfaced, likely related to the certain PR mockery by other high energy physicists!

Tat

Quote:
Scientists have discovered a large helium gas field in Tanzania.
With world supplies running out, the find is a "game-changer", say geologists at Durham and Oxford universities. Helium is used in hospitals in MRI scanners as well as in spacecraft, telescopes and radiation monitors.Until now, the precious gas has been discovered only in small quantities during oil and gas drilling. Using a new exploration approach, researchers found large quantities of helium within the Tanzanian East African Rift Valley.They say resources in just one part of the Rift valley are enough to fill more than a million medical MRI scanners. Prof Chris Ballentine, of the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Oxford, said: "This is a game-changer for the future security of society's helium needs and similar finds in the future may not be far away." And colleague Dr Pete Barry added: 'We can apply this same strategy to other parts of the world with a similar geological history to find new helium resources. "

Edited by TatumAH (03/16/17 02:50 AM)

#299617 - 03/16/17 03:29 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Yes except for one other left over impurity (other than Carbon Dioxide of course):

Knock Knock,
Who's there?
I have no idea,
All my Chemistry jokes

Tat

#299624 - 03/16/17 05:57 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Water and CO2 are easily removed by cooling until they solidify. Argon is pretty plentiful but it's boiling point is between oxygen and nitrogen. To separate neon you have to get below 27 K, but after that it is pure helium gas.

Argon is pretty cool stuff and we got billions and billions of tons of it in the atmosphere. It's heavy enough that it's not going anywhere.

But that is a relief that they found more helium. I thought we were going to be in real trouble by throwing it away in party balloons while we need it for science and medicine.

#299625 - 03/16/17 06:17 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
A friend of mine was a Goodyear blimp pilot for a few years.
He had many interesting jobs, in fact.
When he wasn't piloting the blimp, he was playing drums for Dr. Gene Scott's band, but he soon lost interest in that and found a better musician to hang out with.
LEON RUSSELL.

Grant Whitman was there for the very last blimp ride and shared some special memories.
He was pretty emotional about it too.

#299626 - 03/16/17 06:19 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Water and CO2 are easily removed by cooling until they solidify. Argon is pretty plentiful but it's boiling point is between oxygen and nitrogen. To separate neon you have to get below 27 K, but after that it is pure helium gas.

Argon is pretty cool stuff and we got billions and billions of tons of it in the atmosphere. It's heavy enough that it's not going anywhere.

But that is a relief that they found more helium. I thought we were going to be in real trouble by throwing it away in party balloons while we need it for science and medicine.

I agree but Argon was funny, and with a dog pick I couldnt resist. I have ALSO been playing with argon lately with my TIG WELDING. It was also better than the plan b.
Knock knock
who's there?
Argo,
Argo who?

Hasta manana
Tat

#299660 - 03/17/17 07:23 AM Re: Goodyear deflates blimp, but keeps familiar form in flight [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

An argon blimp would be fun. It could drive around on the freeway, kinda like the Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile. Have to be pretty small to get under the overpasses.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2