Current Topics
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by Irked
43 minutes 52 seconds ago
A Time magazine with Trump on the cover hangs in his golf clubs. Its fake.
by pdx rick
57 minutes 13 seconds ago
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:27 AM
Healthcare from the right
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
The Supreme Court's Continuing Trend to Establish Religion
by Irked
Yesterday at 01:01 AM
Dodger Fan (short story)
by Golem
06/27/17 07:46 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by rporter314
06/27/17 06:13 PM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
06/27/17 05:16 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by logtroll
06/27/17 12:53 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
06/27/17 12:16 PM
Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya and Danielle Goyette headline Hockey Hall of Fame's c
by Golem
06/26/17 08:02 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
06/25/17 08:35 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
06/25/17 08:14 PM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15953 Topics
275334 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299830 - 03/21/17 01:13 AM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
I am somewhat embarrased to say that I've never had a Slim Jim... rolleyes

#299832 - 03/21/17 01:57 AM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: logtroll]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: logtroll
I am somewhat embarrased to say that I've never had a Slim Jim... rolleyes

Tat blush

#299835 - 03/21/17 02:35 AM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: TatumAH]
TatumAH Offline

This might help, I found it over on the sous vide thread, so two birds with one stone.
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=10578
Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/21/17 05:50 PM)

#299839 - 03/21/17 05:41 AM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
That is basically sodium nitrite mixed with some inert stuff like common salt. You have to get it just right and not use too little, or the meat can go bad (and maybe kill people by botulism). Too much and everybody who eats it dies. Fail to mix it VERY WELL and you get lumps of preservative that can kill people.

Scary stuff indeed!

#299848 - 03/21/17 07:27 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
That is basically sodium nitrite mixed with some inert stuff like common salt. You have to get it just right and not use too little, or the meat can go bad (and maybe kill people by botulism). Too much and everybody who eats it dies. Fail to mix it VERY WELL and you get lumps of preservative that can kill people.

Scary stuff indeed!

Well not nearly as scary or as lethal as The Salmon Mousse, that ostensibly killed all dinner guest from very acute botulism.

The nitrite in this pickling prep is 6.25% of the total and most of the rest is just salt and some dye. The lethal dose of Sodium Nitrite is estimated to be about 4g. So that would be about 64 g of the mix or 2.26 oz. That would be a pretty big lump to eat mistakenly as it also contains red dye to prevent mistaking it for regular salt.

Still, we should be aware of possible hazards in our food. Canning in particular requires careful attention to detail to avoid killing guests. I always let the guests eat first as a precaution. Someone has to be capable of calling 911 or driving to ER. grin Haven't had many guests lately confused Low acid canning is the most dangerous as it does not inhibit C.bot growth, This includes meats, and surprisingly to some fatalities related to the low acid content in some tomatoes. I will be looking into the use of small amounts of nitrite as a margin of safety in so lowered temperature canning, related to sous vide techniques. Lower temps for longer times can produce pickles with increased crispness. Nobody wants a limp pickle, which come to think of it brings this back to ON TOPIC.

Tat

#299850 - 03/21/17 07:53 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: TatumAH]
logtroll Offline
veteran

On topic with an ectopic video?

#299851 - 03/21/17 07:53 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: TatumAH]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
The Salmon Mousse

I like all your Monty Python references (Every Sperm Is Sacred is the very best musical number ever produced anywhere.), but I like your Firesign Theater references even better.

Everybody was all freaked out about nitrite in preserved meats to the extent of suggesting we should NEVER eat corned beef or bacon again. Until we looked at the nitrite content of common (even organic) vegetables. Way higher than corned beef! (I always suspected there was something toxic about brussels sprouts.)

Then I learned about all the important things our body does with nitric oxide and I understood why some life extension advocates were purposefully taking a little bit of nitrite every day.

#299854 - 03/21/17 08:52 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Quote:
The Salmon Mousse

I like all your Monty Python references (Every Sperm Is Sacred is the very best musical number ever produced anywhere.), but I like your Firesign Theater references even better.

Strongly agree with every sperm is sacred, as family members were very involved with the development of contraceptive methodology.
Quote:
Oh Blood hell...Get that for me wouldya Dierdre?

Not the complete musical number, but it could pop up should the need arise!
Quote:
Everybody was all freaked out about nitrite in preserved meats to the extent of suggesting we should NEVER eat corned beef or bacon again. Until we looked at the nitrite content of common (even organic) vegetables. Way higher than corned beef! (I always suspected there was something toxic about brussels sprouts.)

Then I learned about all the important things our body does with nitric oxide and I understood why some life extension advocates were purposefully taking a little bit of nitrite every day.

Indeed! Nitric oxide is one of my favorite modulators of second messenger pathways! And should also help protect the pickles from limpness... if you catch my meaning, if ya get my drift!

Tat

#299855 - 03/21/17 09:02 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: logtroll]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
On topic with an ectopic video?

More of a Ewetopian myself! But I dont have the energy for working dogs.
Tat

[video:google]https://vimeo.com/126643142[/video]
[video:youtube]https://vimeo.com/126643142[/video]
Dont we have a video expurt around here somewhere?

Edited by TatumAH (03/21/17 09:05 PM)

#299856 - 03/21/17 09:38 PM Re: McDonalds: You are actually a disgusting excuse for a President [Re: TatumAH]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Nothing like the ewe topic to pull the wool over someone's eyes, especially the sheeples' peepers. Muffles the optics, you might say.

What's the opposite of topics? Bottomics?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
1 registered (zapedPop), 32 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2