Current Topics
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by Ujest Shurly
7 minutes 26 seconds ago
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by logtroll
Today at 12:16 AM
Trump Forum
by logtroll
Today at 12:13 AM
fix the telemarketing thing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
15 Worst Star Trek Episodes Of All Time
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:05 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
Yesterday at 03:13 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/22/17 04:28 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
05/22/17 12:33 AM
American Nations
by Greger
05/21/17 08:14 PM
Next Trump Clusterfork: Tax Reform
by Greger
05/21/17 03:55 AM
just stuff - maps
by jgw
05/20/17 06:22 PM
Seth MacFarlane Is Headed to Space with 'The Orville' on Fox
by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15911 Topics
274743 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#299977 - 03/25/17 07:57 PM Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Armies?’

Josh Feldman
Mediaite
March 24, 2017

Quote:
Discussing the London terrorist attack, Bill Maher and his panel tonight ended up clashing in their views of Islamic terrorism with Maher’s asserting that people can’t say it has “nothing to do with Islam.” ...

“Every time some bomb goes off, before it goes off,” Maher said, “somebody yells ‘Allahu Akbar.’ I never hear anybody go ‘Merry Christmas. This one’s for the flying nun.'” ...

More, with video clip and reader comments

Maher's an [censored], but he's right on radical Islam.

#299980 - 03/25/17 08:39 PM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: Golem]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

There is no question that Islam needs to be reformed. It's the last Abrahmic religion not to do so.

#299993 - 03/26/17 02:39 AM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
The reformation did not reform the Roman Catholic Church very much. It just created some competition in the Jesus business.

Anyway, most "Islamic terrorism" is really political (and with ISIS, economic). The religion is just a sham for the gullible. Every terrorist group has a political ax to grind. Like colonialism, the division of the middle east by European powers after WW I, Israel, CIA support of one faction or another, etc. Do something to solve the political issue and they will stop recruiting religious hicks to blow themselves up.

#299996 - 03/26/17 03:18 AM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Considering reformation, I would have to say that those reforms didnt stick very well. All fundamentalists have to be wrong!

My most respected religion is the Episcopalians, AKA Church of England, that was fundamentally based on the Christian concept of adultery and bimbo swapping! How can you go wrong with a religion that declares it's hypocrisy right up front. Informed consent is underrated in religion!
It was a huge step up from those papists!

Tat

#300012 - 03/26/17 07:29 AM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pondering_it_all]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
"Stop making sense, making sense . . . "

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#300018 - 03/26/17 04:51 PM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: Irked]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: Forarget
"Stop making sense, making sense . . . "
Its grrrreat to finally have someone agreeing with me! But, coming from that source, I am left in doubt...

The Episcopalians had to walk a bit of a tight wire when converting from Catholicism. It was essential to maintain the strengths of Christianity: God's promise of a caring and loving presence with an endlessly forgiving nature, without giving up the guiding principles that help to keep us wanting to be pure and righteous. This includes sincere honest preyer.
Tat

Edited by TatumAH (03/26/17 04:54 PM)
Edit Reason: furrgot to capitalize Forarget

#300021 - 03/26/17 08:13 PM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
...The religion is just a sham for the gullible...

Isn't that the case for all three Abrahamic religions?

#300028 - 03/26/17 09:33 PM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Up until the formation of Israel(by Christians) and its ultimately becoming a fascist state intent on the same sort of genocide that was practiced against them, Jews have largely stayed above the fray. But yes. I don't really trust much of anything that has come out of the Middle East in regards to their tribal religious beliefs and the fractious religious laws they wrote thousands of years ago. There is just way to much bullshite that may have made sense when it was written but has long since fallen by the wayside as society and its knowledge base has advanced.

#300031 - 03/26/17 10:22 PM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:

I said that mostly political terrorist organizations use religion as a means of recruiting "useful idiots". Not that all religion is a sham. There are devout Christians, Jews, and Muslims who feel their religion is the most important aspect of their lives. That is a very powerful force in the world that can actually do a lot of good when you multiply a solid belief in doing the right thing by billions of people.

Even for Muslims, especially for Muslims: The overwhelming majority of the world's 1.5 BILLION Muslims see Jihad as the personal struggle to do the right thing and they pray to God to help them with that five times a day. Not too many Christians or Jews ask God for that kind of help several times a day.

#300047 - 03/27/17 04:10 AM Re: Maher Clashes with Panel on Islamic Terrorism: ‘Are There Christian Terrorist Ar [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
And somehow all that praying for world peace by all those religious fanatics has failed time and time again for millenia after millenia. It hasn't even cured cancer or made a goddam headache go away that wasn't going to go away anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2