by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
‘What the hell?’: TV screens go dark as Spectrum cuts channels, raises prices
by Golem
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
The Godfather cast discuss Al Pacino's height and Marlon Brando's balls at Tribe
by Golem
Yesterday at 09:25 PM
Worst Case Scenario
by rporter314
Yesterday at 09:15 PM
Round Table for April 2017
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
No Reform Without the Forms
by jgw
Yesterday at 06:12 PM
3 word story game
by TatumAH
Yesterday at 04:41 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
04/29/17 07:43 PM
Noam Chomsky: GOP most dangerous organization in history
by Ken Condon
04/29/17 02:03 AM
Despite Inmate Deaths Sheriff Clarke Keeps His Job
by TatumAH
04/28/17 11:34 PM
Sous vide cooking...
by Greger
04/27/17 06:22 PM
Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi
by rporter314
04/27/17 03:33 AM
Strong Women Should NEVER Do These Things For a Man — or Anyone Else
by Golem
04/26/17 07:23 PM
Carried away: how the Carl Vinson's canceled port visit sparked a global crisis
by pondering_it_all
04/26/17 01:15 AM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15880 Topics
274408 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#300017 - 03/26/17 02:45 PM How to fix government
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I intend this as an open forum to discuss measures that can be taken to "fix" government - and by that, I mean to make it function more efficiently, as opposed to neuter it.

On another thread, The Root of all Evil, I detailed where I think a large measure of blame can be located, but this is not about that (although, related). Instead, I'd like to identify where changes can be made, and how.

I'll start: First, I think it is important to bolster those very institutions that Trump and his ilk tear down. Specifically, the bodies where expertise lies. There are thousands of agency employees that have advanced degrees in their fields of expertise and centuries of real-world experience. They are a national treasure and should be treated as such. Instead, Trump derides them at every turn and has appointed agency heads that are antagonistic to their very institutions. I think he has forgotten/ignored the part of the oath that says "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." A primary element of that document directly related to his office is the responsibility to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed." Those agencies were created by law, with functions that Congress has by statute identified. Faithfully executing the laws does not mean ignoring them and tearing them down. (Maybe he reads "executing" differently, like "fixing"...)

Second, I think Congress needs more experts on their side. One of the few remaining repositories of knowledge is the Congressional Budget Office. There is also the Congressional Research Service. But it has become de rigueur to tear them down and disregard their knowledge/suggestions if they don't conform to preconceived notions. Congressional committee staffs used to carry forward institutional knowledge, but now they are mostly partisan hires and inexperienced. This leads to Congressmembers turning to lobbyists for "expertise".

Third, I think, is respecting others (even when they haven't earned it). We here at the Rant hold that as a primary value. It is a matter of honorable and open discourse. It doesn't mean you have to agree, or that "all ideas are equal" - good god no! - just that respect garners respect. The majority of people who come into government want to do good. Acknowledge that.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#300023 - 03/26/17 08:20 PM Re: How to fix government [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
...It doesn't mean you have to agree, or that "all ideas are equal" - good god no! - just that respect garners respect...

When someone claims the earth is flat, and we all know it's not - simply because we've seen outer space imagery of the earth - and it's clearly round - how is respecting that flat-earth opinion, useful? Hmm

#300027 - 03/26/17 09:22 PM Re: How to fix government [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Government is "broken" largely because over the last few decades Republicans have lost the knack of governing. In their rush to purity they have simply stopped negotiating and refuse to compromise on even the smallest issue. "Fixing" government lies in the hands of voters; they can either continue to elect populist ideologues intent on further breaking down the government or they can elect moderates willing to make deals.

#300034 - 03/26/17 11:09 PM Re: How to fix government [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Greger
Government is "broken" largely because over the last few decades Republicans have lost the knack of governing. In their rush to purity they have simply stopped negotiating and refuse to compromise on even the smallest issue. "Fixing" government lies in the hands of voters; they can either continue to elect populist ideologues intent on further breaking down the government or they can elect moderates willing to make deals.

I maintain that the GOP, just like ISIS and al Queda - all have the same thing in common: To take over the government/society and "degrade and destroy" the government. We're seeing that very motive in Trump's Administration and his cabinet picks.

#300046 - 03/27/17 04:02 AM Re: How to fix government [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
the GOP, just like ISIS and al Queda - all have the same thing in common: To take over the government/society and "degrade and destroy" the government.

Ayup, that's just about it in a nutshell. And just like ISIS and al Qaeda they have no plan to put something better in it's place.

The best "fix" would just be for conservatives to admit that they are totally wrong on all counts and work with Democrats to set things right again.

#300053 - 03/27/17 10:27 AM Re: How to fix government [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Or maybe just admit their core beliefs are not compatible with running a government at any level, and resign en masse. They could be like The Amish.

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 59 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2